Pricing Simonton Prism Platinum

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Cheryl

Pricing Simonton Prism Platinum

#1 Post by Cheryl »

Hello, Can anyone give me a ball park idea of what I might expect to pay for the installation of the following replacement windows:

Simonton Prism Platinum
Width x Ht.

1 Fixed Picture Window- 50" x 59 1/2"
2 Casements - 26 1/2 x 59 1/2
2 Sliders - 33 x 32 1/2
1 Slider - 53 x 32
1 Slider - 28 3/4 x 35
1 Slider - 44 3/4 x 35 1/2
1 DH - 68 1/2 x 32 1/2
1 DH - 32 1/2 x 32 1/2
1 DH - 37 x 35
2 DH - 32 x 32 1/2

Soft Low E, Argon, Super Spacer, Full Screens. Also, is the the Prism Platinum equivelent, better or lower than the Simonton Impressions? If it is the same, can I expect the cost to be the same? We are looking at both windows. I hope to here from any of you experts that provide such geat info on this sight. Thank you in advance!

Skydawggy.

Re: Pricing Simonton Prism Platinum

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Sorry, it doesn't work that way on this site. We generally don't comment on price and this is not the place to play guessing games with pricing. We will generally comment if we feel a price is way out of line but we aren't here to supply you with information to use in negotiations with your contractor. Sorry if you got that idea. In summary, we are here to help consumers sort thru the complexities and BS of purchasing windows and help to decide the best window for your application.

Expect to pay more for the Impressions 9800.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Actually there is alot of commenting on price.Do a search and you can get a ballpark price.You will get more responce if you post your bids and give more details on the install.

Skydawggy.

#4 Post by Skydawggy. »

Actually most of the commenting on price is by you Todd. Much to the chagrin of the other Pros on here. Most of us agreed long ago that we were here to help consumers choose the right window. Not as a place to help them negotiate the cheapest price. If you have a problem with that, please take your comments to the Contractors Board.

canuck

#5 Post by canuck »

commenting on price does a disservice due to complexities of pricing. if you find a good quality window,you like the company,and the price is reasonable for the quality you are getting then calling 10 more companies in order to start a bidding war is not a smart thing to do. example, a few years back i had a customer who wanted a specific brand and i gave her my pricing,she then takes my pricing to "Joe the local contractor" who also does tile,plumbing,windows,and painting. hell, he'll even change the oil in your car. anyway,"joe" comes in much cheaper than me so of course she goes with him and the she also goes on to say how he is recommended bla bla bla (yeah right). anyway,3 months go by and she calls me for a favor,she will even pay me. what does she want? she wants me to look at the windows and see if they are defective because she feels alot of cold air. yeah,go and blame the window manufacturer!!!! anyway,i go there for laughs and low and behold,its a very poor installation. i then tell her the bad news and i then go on to tell her how EXPENSIVE her more affordable contractor really is. she now has to pay more than twice my original price if she wants it corrected but guess what,i'm not doing it. She's such a smart negotiator she can go and negotiate with another company,ai'nt gonna be me. i don't have time to clean up someone's else's mess. wonder if she learned a lesson.

Cheryl

#6 Post by Cheryl »

WOW! Down Doggie, Down! I need to throw u a bone! Let's not jump to conclusions here. Your assumption is that I havn't gotten a quote yet, but you are mistaking! I just didn't know that I needed to word things a certain way on this site....please forgive me. I guess it is MY BAD also to ASSUME that this site was better than what I received in a reply...practically a scolding by Shaggy and Canuck, particularly the dog. There are kinder ways to answer a participant of this website. I am merely trying to help out a friend that recieved a couple of quotes for her replacement windows. It is my terrible mistake to have not stated the quotes. There are people in your industry that give you a bad name and will try to rip off and play the game with the consumer, especially a women! So, don't take that attitude with me Shaggy because it is our job to protect ourselves from those kind in your industry. Also, for your information, there are only two Simonton dealers available to us (each carrying a different line of Simonton), so this isn't about the games you feel are being played... I don't participate in "war & games", I'd just like to be a bit informed for "buyer beware". Furthermore, I have already been through the process and have the Impressions 9800's in my own home. I will think twice next time I speak highly to a friend about this site while trying to help them. THANK YOU Toddinmn, for your PLEASANT reply, yours is appreciated.

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

I thought I remembered you from a few years ago Cheryl.

The Impressions 9800 is considered Simonton’s best window. Compared to the Prism Platinum the 9800 is a nicer looking window but when the two windows are equipped with same glass packs the thermal performance is basically identical.

The look of the window has recently changed a bit from when you made your purchase. The curved plastic lift handle in the center of the sash has been replaced with two applied metal lift handles. I feel this is a product enhancement.

Expect to pay a little more for the 9800 about $40.00 to 60.00 per a window depending on size.

kifisia

#8 Post by kifisia »

Here is what i did in order to get a ball park idea of the cost of my prism platinum windows:

i went to simonton's website (after thoroughly educating myself on what each option ment) and wrote down everything i wanted on the particular window. then contacted the roof center and ABC and gave them the exact options and measurements and i got a price. most windows are about the same price with simonton and even though most sales people will take your time in measuring all the windows, they really don't have to. at least this has been my experience. i got 10 estimates or so, and the person who got the job wasted the least of my time and gave me the best price.

once you figure out the cost of the windows, you can negotiate the installation. i paid 100 per window installed and capped.

Cheryl

#9 Post by Cheryl »

Thank you so much, for your kind replies Bill and Kifisia. They are much appreciated! Bill, hi I am so glad to hear from you! It is mostly from your honest and knowledgeable input from a few years ago (and a few other good guys here) that I landed on the right window with the Impressions...so far, so good, and I love them! Thank you for sharing your expertise and professionalism both then and now :wink:

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Skydawggy wrote:Actually most of the commenting on price is by you Todd. Much to the chagrin of the other Pros on here. Most of us agreed long ago that we were here to help consumers choose the right window. Not as a place to help them negotiate the cheapest price. If you have a problem with that, please take your comments to the Contractors Board.
Well I do have a problem with that.If that is how it's suppose to be maybe you and most of "us" should change the rules of the board instead of being rude to others and telling me to post elsewhere.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

canuck wrote:commenting on price does a disservice due to complexities of pricing. if you find a good quality window,you like the company,and the price is reasonable for the quality you are getting then calling 10 more companies in order to start a bidding war is not a smart thing to do. example, a few years back i had a customer who wanted a specific brand and i gave her my pricing,she then takes my pricing to "Joe the local contractor" who also does tile,plumbing,windows,and painting. hell, he'll even change the oil in your car. anyway,"joe" comes in much cheaper than me so of course she goes with him and the she also goes on to say how he is recommended bla bla bla (yeah right). anyway,3 months go by and she calls me for a favor,she will even pay me. what does she want? she wants me to look at the windows and see if they are defective because she feels alot of cold air. yeah,go and blame the window manufacturer!!!! anyway,i go there for laughs and low and behold,its a very poor installation. i then tell her the bad news and i then go on to tell her how EXPENSIVE her more affordable contractor really is. she now has to pay more than twice my original price if she wants it corrected but guess what,i'm not doing it. She's such a smart negotiator she can go and negotiate with another company,ai'nt gonna be me. i don't have time to clean up someone's else's mess. wonder if she learned a lesson.
You don't have the time to clean-up someone elses mess but you have the time to go over to her house and show her your colors?Does anyone else see anything wrong with this?

Skydawggy.

#12 Post by Skydawggy. »

toddinmn wrote:
Skydawggy wrote:Actually most of the commenting on price is by you Todd. Much to the chagrin of the other Pros on here. Most of us agreed long ago that we were here to help consumers choose the right window. Not as a place to help them negotiate the cheapest price. If you have a problem with that, please take your comments to the Contractors Board.
Well I do have a problem with that.If that is how it's suppose to be maybe you and most of "us" should change the rules of the board instead of being rude to others and telling me to post elsewhere.
Well, that is the way it is. Perhaps if you think about it a little you may understand why it's that way. If you would like to discuss it, you can go to the Contractors Board. I am sure once the reasons are explained to you will agree it's for the best. I have suggested this to you nearly half a dozen times in the past on various issues but you seem to want to avoid a frank discussion. I doubt if most of us are willing to change to accomodate you and I'm pretty sure if you keep it up you will hear from the site Administrator soon.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

The contractors on this board typically refrain from commenting pricing unless the numbers are completely out of phase with what is reasonable.

We are here to provide customers with the knowledge to properly evaluate quotes and help differentiate the good from the bad in the world of window replacements.

The cost of business can be all over the map and what might be reasonable and competitive for me is not necessarily true for the next region. When contractors start given homeowners thumbs up or down on pricing, the issue can become quite confusing. People that search the board have a tendency to read items out of context and there is the potential for future confusion of the issue at hand.

Giving someone a price is the equivalent of giving a student the answer key to a test. It ultimately does the customer a disservice. Customers may take that information and use that as the sole determinant in the evaluation of their quote and not the more pertinent evaluation tools such as product, installation methods, testing data, etc.

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

Skydawggy wrote:
toddinmn wrote:
Well, that is the way it is. Perhaps if you think about it a little you may understand why it's that way. If you would like to discuss it, you can go to the Contractors Board. I am sure once the reasons are explained to you will agree it's for the best. I have suggested this to you nearly half a dozen times in the past on various issues but you seem to want to avoid a frank discussion. I doubt if most of us are willing to change to accomodate you and I'm pretty sure if you keep it up you will hear from the site Administrator soon.

Skydawggy.

#15 Post by Skydawggy. »

Cheryl, I assumed nothing except what you said. This site is not here for consumers to price shop windows and I simply stated so. Nothing rude in anything I said. You may not have liked it but, it was far from rude.

Unlike your response.