Help! Which is better: Amerimax or Polybau?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
elly

Help! Which is better: Amerimax or Polybau?

#1 Post by elly »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am desperate for answers. I just bought Amerimax Windows (4 windows, sliding door, and bay window) for total of $5500. They also offered Polybau for $4000 (lowest level brand -777 series) and $4800 for higher level brand of Polybau (Legacy). I am wondering if I should just go with Polybau for the $4000. The salesman said the Amerimax is much bettter quality than Polybau, and kept downplaying Polybau as not responsive and had bad customer service and lead time for any problems. Is this all true? From the forum, people seem to think they are equal quality. I am getting a bit confused with the different levels of windows within the same manufacturer. Does Polybau really have only one level or different levels?

Does anyone have any experience with WindowMax? They are not a member of the BBB which I'm not sure if I should care about or not.

I would appreciate any quick answers. Thanks so much!

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

For 700-1500 dollars, I would take the Polybau in a heart beat. I have know Polybau to be a good company that takes care of their customers even after the sale with service. Amerimax is a good windows too. I would put them in the same category of window quality and options. Is it the same installer? Make sure they are quoting you the same install and finish work. Good luck.

elly

#3 Post by elly »

Thanks for your response! Hmmm....I wonder about the claims from our salesman then. Yes, these were quotes from the same salesman.

I am leaning on going with Polybau for the $4000 although he says this is for the lowest grade Polybau. Is there such a thing? Or are grades of Polybau good quality? Do all Polybau windows come with low e?

Thanks for any help!

E-Z

#4 Post by E-Z »

ELLY,

About your salesman's claim. He is obviously bias to Amerimax. He can probabilly get a better discount and make more money on them.

The difference on the "high grade" vs his so called "low grade".

The more expensive polybau has a flat profile and is 3 1/4" thick.
The other one is 2 3/4" thick so obviously it has less vinyl, it also has a beveled look profile.
Most window manufacturers have these 2 lines and both have their applications . Of course in the end it's what window rubs you the right way that matters.
The 3 1/4 thick windows are excellent to replace on victorian and colonial homes where the pocket created when taking the wood sashes is exactly 3 1/4" so it's a perfect fit.
On the other side of the coin in a much more contemporary home where you have sheetrock returns and window dressings such as blinds or shutters the 2 3/4 frame is less likely to get in the way of the functionallity
of your blinds or shutters. And everybody knows blinds and shutters are not cheap.

Every brand will have service issues at some point i know i can say i have heard at least 1 story on every brand out there. i would say that if there is a pattern or if on boards like this one a certain manufacturer has bad postings it should be a red flag.

E-z :wink:
E-z
E-z Windows