Which Window -Jantek, Simonton, Gorell, Champion????

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DMS

Which Window -Jantek, Simonton, Gorell, Champion????

#1 Post by DMS »

Help Please :!:
We have two large picture windows with 3 windows in each opening that need replacing. Currently we have
four offers. All qualify for the energy star rebate. We have taken champion off the list. They have several complaints with the BBB and the presentation was a dog and pony show (eg. Hike up the price then give a discount) worse than a used car salesman. :x Jantek makes their own windows and has one consumer complaint listed. Their presentation and price was reasonable. However, I only found one listing about Jantek who either owns or sells Appleby windows. The complaint was about leaky windows. Home Depot price was approxitmately $1,000 more than Jantek, however he explained in detail exactly what they were going to do.They install Simonton 6500 series. He mentioned they won the JD Power award. The other guy sells Gorell and I have read some negative press about them. Any suggestions or input will be appreciated to lessen the confusion. Thanks! :? :? :?

buddy11

Re: Which Window -Jantek, Simonton, Gorell, Champion????

#2 Post by buddy11 »

Did you find negative press on Gorell or the dealer?

DMS

#3 Post by DMS »

Mostly lack of follow thru on the part of the company's sales rep. I probably will not go with Gorell because I want a company to take ownership from beginning to end of a project. Gorell is not in a position to do that. When I had a problem with my Nissan dealership, I called Nissan and the situation was resolved. There is nothing that I have read to make me believe that Gorell is willing to do that.
Jantek and Simonton installers are company employee's not contracted out. Do you know or have an opinion about these two manufacturers?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Home Depot installers are subcontractors and not Simonton employees.

What are peoples resistance to non-company owned installation teams based upon? For every negative story about a non-company employee installed product, I can find you one about a company run installation team.

Skill is skill and in most cases, the best installation crews are out on their own because they can make more money and be compensated for their skill. Should we be punishing those persons who choose to make their own way? This argument seems to be pervasive in this political climate of state/company run everything.

The Gorell or Simonton products are your best bet from those lists. If you don't like the stories about one of the window companies but like the product, find another installation team.

DMS

#5 Post by DMS »

Home Depot installs Simonton windows and employs the window installers. You are right skill is skill. I won't know the quality of the workmanship until after the job is done. I support a number of small businesses that have provided excellent service. Fortunately, most of my experiences have been positive. However, I have no desire to return to court to sue another contractor for substandard craftsmanship. This is why I am here making inquiries. Do you know anything about Jantek?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Don't know anything about Jantek so I am of no help there.

You have obviously had some negative dealings with a previous contractor so I can appreciate your hesitation. I would encourage you to check out previous customers, get recommendations, look at work examples, and check BBB and trade reviews. That should give you all the back up you need. Window installation are not as complicated as some of the other skilled trades and you should be able to get all the information you need to make a decision from those evaluation examples I quoted.

I seem to remember that HD uses sub-contractors but I may be mistaken. I am sure one of the board pros on here knows.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

They use subs here in PA.

buddy11

#8 Post by buddy11 »

HD uses subs period. None of their installaions crews are employees. FWIW, I've heard more horror stories about HD installs than Local contractors, and I've been doing this for 30+ years, long before HD.

Please find a good IC and support him, not HD. There are plenty out there.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt. Above all else, the pro's on this board want customers to get good products and installations for their applications.

DMS

#10 Post by DMS »

Thank you for the help. I'll let you know our decision.

N C Hammer

#11 Post by N C Hammer »

I'm confused about the discussion here. I thought a sub-contractor would be the same as an IC who is doing some work through a middle entity, whether its HD or a local window company or a builder, etc. As a customer, it seems to me the important thing is to do due diligence on whoever is going to be showing up at your house. Before I would contract with anyone I want to know exactly who the installer will be and I want to see evidence they are competent. Period.

Buddy, I have seen older posts on this bb where HD installers were described as employees, complete with the orange bits on their clothing.

DMS, a recent posting slamming Gorell appears to have some credibility issues. If that influenced your thinking you should read the end of that thread.

buddy11

#12 Post by buddy11 »

N C Hammer wrote:I'm confused about the discussion here. I thought a sub-contractor would be the same as an IC who is doing some work through a middle entity, whether its HD or a local window company or a builder, etc. As a customer, it seems to me the important thing is to do due diligence on whoever is going to be showing up at your house. Before I would contract with anyone I want to know exactly who the installer will be and I want to see evidence they are competent. Period.
Buddy, I have seen older posts on this bb where HD installers were described as employees, complete with the orange bits on their clothing.

DMS, a recent posting slamming Gorell appears to have some credibility issues. If that influenced your thinking you should read the end of that thread.

Excellent advice!!

By IC I mean a local window company, small businessman who employess installers.. If HD is using true employees as installers it's the first I've heard of it. Each state is different so anythings possible.

DMS

#13 Post by DMS »

I late informing you that I selected Jantek. The installation done in November 2009 was fantastic!!! I spoke to several people who used them in the past and they gave excellent reviews. They are a local company and have done periodic check ups. I have seen a significant reduction in my utility bill. I have no complaints whatever. In addition their price was 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper than other estimates. Sears was outrageous, I left the table until my husband invited their representative to leave. Thank you for your feedback and assistance.
God Bless

Skydawggy.

#14 Post by Skydawggy. »

Thank you for the follow up. Glad to hear you were happy with the install and all went well. Enjoy your new windows.

anntaylor

#15 Post by anntaylor »

great advice NC Hammer..