Vinyl Replacement Install?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DIYEngineer

Vinyl Replacement Install?

#1 Post by DIYEngineer »

Hello,
I was planning on measuring the inside (sheetrock to sheetrock) for replacement windows, and sliding the extra 1 1/4" thick vinyl window (new are 3 ¼”, old are ~2” thick) overlapping the sheetrock & sill. This of course will show a thicker frame from the inside.
However, if I cut 1 ¼” off the inside sheetrock, then butt the frame up against the sheetrock, it would hide ~1/2” of the frame and may make it a little stronger construction.
This would be for a Florida home, which has Block and Frame (wood) construction.
Does anyone have any suggestions or good/bad information on these two ways of window replacement?
Thank You

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl Replacement Install?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Drywall cut back is preferable in my opinion.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I agree - more secure, better seal, and more glass.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+3... It can be installed inside the drywall without problems, but as the others mentioned, it would be preferrable to just cut it back for the reasons given.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Where I am at here in Illinois the drywall cutback is many times not a good thing as you can't get in to insulate when the inside is butted to the drywall and the outside is butted right up to the existing siding. By going into the drywall opening and installing a painted interior stop, we are able to fill the 1/2" perimeter gap solidly with foam from inside to outside and keep the same look as the the rest of the windows in the neigborhood, ...a good thing when dealing with homeowner associations.
A lot of it depends on how the windows are finished off outside and what type of an exterior look you are after. If they put wood casing around all the windows when they were originally installed then doing a drywall cutback would be preferred. Or, ...if the new installation included cutting back the siding and adding wood casing around the exterior of the new windows per customer's wishes then a cutback would be just peachy (and more expensive).

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Window4U (IL) wrote:Where I am at here in Illinois the drywall cutback is many times not a good thing as you can't get in to insulate when the inside is butted to the drywall and the outside is butted right up to the existing siding. By going into the drywall opening and installing a painted interior stop, we are able to fill the 1/2" perimeter gap solidly with foam from inside to outside and keep the same look as the the rest of the windows in the neigborhood, ...a good thing when dealing with homeowner associations.
A lot of it depends on how the windows are finished off outside and what type of an exterior look you are after. If they put wood casing around all the windows when they were originally installed then doing a drywall cutback would be preferred. Or, ...if the new installation included cutting back the siding and adding wood casing around the exterior of the new windows per customer's wishes then a cutback would be just peachy (and more expensive).
How do you get the window in if it is butted against the drywall on the inside and against the siding on the outside??? If that was the reason that you couldn't get foam in then you really couldn't get the window in either, right?.. or maybe I'm not thinking straight... You definitely are right though about a cutback costing more, I just dont think it was mentioned because the OP sounds like a diy.

DIYEngineer

#7 Post by DIYEngineer »

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm going to cut back the frame (wood wall/frame) windows. Yes it will take longer, but it's my home and it will be a better build.

Block frame, I have enough room on the exterior, so no cut back is needed.

One exception, is on a bathroom tile window, where I have tile on the sheetrock. I'll be sliding it in on top of the sheetrock. It's just not worth cutting the tile etc..

Let me know if any can think of any issues with my choice.

I also hope this post helps others...

DIYEngineer

#8 Post by DIYEngineer »

Does anyone have any suggestions on installing a vinyl replacement window, with a flange, in a top arched frame, with stucco exterior, that has a key stone (fraised about an inch from the exterior, for looks) in the stucco (at the top of the arch)?
The issue is: the flange would need to over-lap an even exterior. With the raised key stone, a person will have a lip to work around.

1. I'm looking at cutting an area out of the flange for the key stone.

2. I could remove all the flange on these three windows, however it would not look consistant with the rest of the house front.

Any suggestions.
Thank You