Replacement Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
M. Wilson

Replacement Windows

#1 Post by M. Wilson »

We are replacing wood windows with vinyl in a small home (only seven windows). We plan to live in the home for several years. Any suggestions? We are looking at Atrium, Pella and American Craftsman, but in looking at the forum, it looks like Simonton windows are very popular.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Simonton is a well likely brand as are Gorrell, Okna, Soft-Lite, Sunrise and Plygem.

None of the brands you have mentioned are very well received. The best of that group is probably the Atrium window.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

M Wilson where is home located?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

you obviously went to home depot and lowes. you will not find anything near quality there . pella make a horrible vinyl indow(very low quality). american crafsman and atrium are just as bad. you need to expand your search if you are planning on staying in your home for more than a few hours.(sarcasm).
as the other poster eluded to, Okna,gorell,soft lite and sunrise are regarded as high quality. these windows are designd for maximum energy efficiency and for the home owner who does'nt want to replace his/her windows again in 5 years.

M. Wilson

#5 Post by M. Wilson »

Thanks so much for the information. I am located in Southwest Missouri.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

start off by locating a Gorell dealer.

M. Wilson

#7 Post by M. Wilson »

Any thoughts on Alside windows? Have not had any luck trying to locate a Gorrell dealer. I live in mid-Missouri.

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Soft-lite, Simonton, and Sunrise should be available in your area. Alside is not well regarded by any of the pros here.

M. Wilson

#9 Post by M. Wilson »

We have recieved a quote from a Gorell dealer on their Timeless series. Any thoughts on the Timeless series by Gorell?

masterext

#10 Post by masterext »

Timeless is a built up Gorell 5100 series; its a real nice looking window. one of my favorites. make sure you get the sloped sill,not the pocket if possible.

M. Wilson

#11 Post by M. Wilson »

Thanks for the advise and good information.

masterext

#12 Post by masterext »

after reviewing the site,it seems as if it does come with a slope sill. nice window,you will be very happy with it.

Randy

#13 Post by Randy »

Anything Gorell makes will be better than Alside, IMO. Gorell is a quality company.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

I sell the Timeless, so I am somewhat biased, but I chose it because it is really a nice product. Thin frame, great IG packages, well engineered, and all of the quality and options of the 5300 but with better looks and minimal efficiency sacrificed.... Ask for the latch-lock plus. It's a pretty cool feature. :D .... BTW, I'd also make sure to get the Timeless Plus with the fiberglass reinforcement and foam filled frame.--shouldn't be much upcharge :wink: