Sunrise Vanguard, Soft-Lite Elements or OKNA 800

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Wolfman Jack

Re: Sunrise Vanguard, Soft-Lite Elements or OKNA 800

#16 Post by Wolfman Jack »

So, you're telling me that for any given window the per unit price could vary quite a bit from one vendor to another even if they operate in the same locale? Doesn't that make it rather difficult for the consumer to know whether a vendor is low-balling his bid with the intention of cutting corners if he gets the job?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#17 Post by masterext »

i am always wary of a guy who comes in much lower than the rest of the pack. i charge a specific price because i use the best materials and pay my installer well(they deserve it). i am very meticulous as to how my guys do an install and I ALWAYS make sure my customers are happy. a low ball guy just is'nt going to do that. i would much rather pay a higher price and not only have the install done correctly but be happy with the end result. too many home owners who wen the cheap route always tell me:"well,he just needs to come back and fix that or i don't really like that but i can live with it". the worst i hear about an expensive contractor is that the job was well done and they are happy but they feel they paid too much.
one thing about the okna 800, it comes with a handle opposed to a lift rail and really adds a nice touch. if you ever saw the cherry woodgrain with antique brass hardware,its absolutely gorgeous.

Skydawggy.

#18 Post by Skydawggy. »

Wolfman Jack wrote:So, you're telling me that for any given window the per unit price could vary quite a bit from one vendor to another even if they operate in the same locale? Doesn't that make it rather difficult for the consumer to know whether a vendor is low-balling his bid with the intention of cutting corners if he gets the job?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. The higher a dealers overhead, the more he will charge for the window. As an example, some dealers employ very highly skilled installers who take their time and do a very percise and meticulous installation. Others are more interested in keeping their costs low and will seek out installers who are willing to work cheaply. Those kind of installers will sometimes do an adequate job but don't expect them to spend much time on each window ensuring it's square and plumb or doing much more than a fairly simple capping.

Getting references is your best friend and then actually calling the references and visiting the house if the reference allows it is your best way to know. I always like to give my customers a job reference that we had an issue with so they can see how we handle problems if they occur (believe me, regardless of the sales pitch, things do come up from time to time). I would suggest you ask the same.

These are just a few of the items that can affect overhead and thusly the cost. You will get what you pay for. If you buy from a low overhead operation, you may not get the level of service that you would get from a higher priced dealer. OTOH, you may. Get the references.

Wolfman Jack

#19 Post by Wolfman Jack »

EcoStar --- Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to do that. Ultimately, I'm most concerned with quality and am willing to pay more for it.

Skydawggy.

#20 Post by Skydawggy. »

We always say you will get what you pay for in most instances. Often one of the reason consumers end up dissatisfied is because of their own expectations. That "screamin deal" might be OK if everything goes perfectly and may become a nightmare if it doesn't. If the dealer's quote is very close to the line between profitability and loss, then don't expect him to be too accommodating if say you wanted full screens and he made a mistake and ordered 1/2 screens or if the factory screwed up the grid pattern and now that Bay window has to be re-installed because nobody noticed it until the install was already done. Or you went to work and came home and found out they used the wrong trim coil color and now it has to be re-done.

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

EcoStar Windows wrote:We always say you will get what you pay for in most instances. Often one of the reason consumers end up dissatisfied is because of their own expectations. That "screamin deal" might be OK if everything goes perfectly and may become a nightmare if it doesn't. If the dealer's quote is very close to the line between profitability and loss, then don't expect him to be too accommodating if say you wanted full screens and he made a mistake and ordered 1/2 screens or if the factory screwed up the grid pattern and now that Bay window has to be re-installed because nobody noticed it until the install was already done. Or you went to work and came home and found out they used the wrong trim coil color and now it has to be re-done.
We did just wrap 25 windows with the wrong color coil because of a communication error....ouch.

Came back the next day and re-wrapped them all. :shock:

Skydawggy.

#22 Post by Skydawggy. »

I hate it when that happens. :lol:

Raven Fan

#23 Post by Raven Fan »

WOW / EcoStar --- Do either of your companies take on work in Harford County, Maryland?

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:
EcoStar Windows wrote:We always say you will get what you pay for in most instances. Often one of the reason consumers end up dissatisfied is because of their own expectations. That "screamin deal" might be OK if everything goes perfectly and may become a nightmare if it doesn't. If the dealer's quote is very close to the line between profitability and loss, then don't expect him to be too accommodating if say you wanted full screens and he made a mistake and ordered 1/2 screens or if the factory screwed up the grid pattern and now that Bay window has to be re-installed because nobody noticed it until the install was already done. Or you went to work and came home and found out they used the wrong trim coil color and now it has to be re-done.
We did just wrap 25 windows with the wrong color coil because of a communication error....ouch.

Came back the next day and re-wrapped them all. :shock:
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Color was supposed to be Sage green, well the supplier gave my installer a coil of regular sage (greyish), and one of sage green... Guess which one he bent up and installed :x ...

Ravenfan, I agree with most of what everyone has said. The only final thing that I'd add, is just as you want to stay away from the low-ballers, you also want to stay away from the high-price, high-pressure sleazeballs as well. With the options that you mentioned, there is no reason that you should be paying over $1000 per opening for any of those windows, or even close. If you get four bids and 3 of them are $1100 a pop, with one at $600, he is not a low-ball, he just happens to be the only guy who is priced fairly. That is what makes this industry so confusing for consumers, depending who you call, sometimes you ARE getting what you pay for, sometimes not.... And to clarify, my earlier starting point at $450 would be considered a "low-ball", although I have seen it.
.... If you want to know if Wow or Eco service your area, click on their Get a Quote button. If they service your area you'll be able to submit your info to them. :D

Windows on Washington

#25 Post by Windows on Washington »

Raven Fan wrote:WOW / EcoStar --- Do either of your companies take on work in Harford County, Maryland?
We do install in Bel Air if that is where you are from.

Raven Fan

#26 Post by Raven Fan »

WOW --- What is the name of your company? I'd like to check it out.

HAHAHAHAHA ......... Don't mind me, I've got it now. DUH!!!
Last edited by Raven Fan on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skydawggy.

#27 Post by Skydawggy. »

We only do business in Northern Virginia.

Raven Fan

#28 Post by Raven Fan »

In a double-hung, is there any notable difference in performance between the Vanguard and Elements that would give one an advantage over the other? If so, under what circumstances would those advantages (if any) become a significant consideration? Also, forgetting for the moment that the Andersen 400 is a wood clad window, how does its performance compare to that of the Vanguard and Elements? As you can probably tell, I'm new at this so please be patient if my questions make me appear naive ... :)

Windows on Washington

#29 Post by Windows on Washington »

All three of the vinyl windows that you have previously discussed are premium window.

You need to determine what is important to you. Example, if you are concerned about profile thickness, the Vanguard is narrower than the Elements and will give you more glass back. If you are more concerned about Air Infiltration, the Elements in the better of the two windows. etc, etc, etc.

All those things being considered, make sure the company hanging them is right in the end.

Delaware Mike

#30 Post by Delaware Mike »

If one to was measure the Vanguard and Elements by the tested numbers on air infiltration the Elements or the LS would have a very slight nod. In reality it may be the other way around. I've installed so many of both and can tell you first hand the Vanguard seems a little tighter, especially at the meeting rail. I've also heard them there Polish winders are pretty tight! :D
Last edited by Delaware Mike on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.