finding installer who uses foam insulation-south florida

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
pothole

finding installer who uses foam insulation-south florida

#1 Post by pothole »

hello, having the hardest time finding anyone who uses foam insulation in my area.Have talked to at least 10 different people with all kinds of answers from, "foam does more harm than good ", "that is for artic areas","been doing windows for ten years and never used the stuff" ,"it(foam) will stain everything" and on and on. Looking to replace 20 something windows and all the companies I have talked to seem to have no idea why anyone would want to insulate their windows in my area. About 7 years back in a different house I replaced the windows and foamed them up, this time they will be hurricane windows and a lot bigger so I do not really want to do them.Am I crazy to want someone to insulate my new windows for a number of reasons and expect that they have done that before? Sorry for the long post ,but man it seems like a time warp in south florida for some things.

Windows on Washington

Re: finding installer who uses foam insulation-south florida

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Construction trends are often regional and the primary benefit of foam (air barrier) is much less of a concern for most people in cooling degree dominated climates. That is by no means correct, but just a observable trend. You don't hear of too many energy audits and airsealing in FL.

If you find an installer than you are comfortable with, see if he will agree to use foam on your install. If someone protests that much to the idea, they don't sound like they would be the most suitable person for a consumer who is doing their research like you are.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

I am not a fan of fiberglass around a window; in your case due to the potential of any water coming into contact with fiberglass insulation. that would be the big reason for foam in your climate as far as i'm concerned.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

Houston's climate is very similar, and I'm a huge proponent of minimal expanding, closed cell foams. Air infiltration is one reason, and as masterext mentioned, water infiltration is another - especially in areas with hurricanes and tropical storms.

The difficult decision is whether or not to be the first guinea pig for your contractor. Inexperienced applicators will typically make quite a mess on their first installation using foams. You'll have to decide if it's worth the risk/aggravation.

pothole

#5 Post by pothole »

Windows on Washington wrote:Construction trends are often regional and the primary benefit of foam (air barrier) is much less of a concern for most people in cooling degree dominated climates. That is by no means correct, but just a observable trend. You don't hear of too many energy audits and airsealing in FL.

If you find an installer than you are comfortable with, see if he will agree to use foam on your install. If someone protests that much to the idea, they don't sound like they would be the most suitable person for a consumer who is doing their research like you are.
Thanks for the advice, I did find one who will use the foam though has never before but seems like the best guy for the job, Going to look at one of his jobs over the weekend.

pothole

#6 Post by pothole »

masterext wrote:I am not a fan of fiberglass around a window; in your case due to the potential of any water coming into contact with fiberglass insulation. that would be the big reason for foam in your climate as far as i'm concerned.
Great reason , wasn't even thinking about the water infiltration even though I have been thru that with a few storms already.My main concern was noise and energy loss money,but water does cause the most money loss I know of .The windows are 35 plus years old are thinking I want the next batch to be done right as to last a long time too thanks.

pothole

#7 Post by pothole »

Randy wrote:Houston's climate is very similar, and I'm a huge proponent of minimal expanding, closed cell foams. Air infiltration is one reason, and as masterext mentioned, water infiltration is another - especially in areas with hurricanes and tropical storms.

The difficult decision is whether or not to be the first guinea pig for your contractor. Inexperienced applicators will typically make quite a mess on their first installation using foams. You'll have to decide if it's worth the risk/aggravation.
Thanks,Glad you brought up the closed cell the last time out I used the dap(lowes) which may not be closed cell.I know an installer will do a much better job than me at installing the windows and these hurricane windows are heavy as all get out.The sound proofing on the hurricane windows I helped a friend put in a while back are "bank quiet" , something to do with the barrier between science, at least that was what I was told.But the real world difference was amassing.Being a guinea pig seems like my only option so far, besides putting them in myself.Is there an easier way to find a window installer who uses foam in my area without calling and asking about their installation technique?

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Closed cell foams are air and moisture barriers, while open cell foams are air barriers only.
Is there an easier way to find a window installer who uses foam in my area without calling and asking about their installation technique?
The only way that I can think of is to contact the local Hilti store and see if they know of any window installers who buy their products on a regular basis.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Try them or Premier Sealants as well as any of the building supply houses that sell foam.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with everyone else that foam is clearly superior. We use the OSI Winteq closed cell product... I'd continue to try and find an installer who uses it currently. Not because it is rocket science to use, but imo it is just one more thing to show that a company is dedicated to using the highest quality, most innovative materials and techniques. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but that's my general observation. OTOH, I really dont know Fla, so maybe there just aren't many guys that use it down there as WOW alluded to.

Randy

#11 Post by Randy »

it is just one more thing to show that a company is dedicated to using the highest quality, most innovative materials and techniques. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but that's my general observation.
I agree, and it's a great point.

pothole

#12 Post by pothole »

thanks everyone , great advice and I do need to keep looking.In my tri -county area of south florida if you called 50 window companies/installers, you would get 50 that would tell you foam is not used in their installs.IG glass is still in a minority of the windows installed here, aluminun is king of the frame, and every area of the world has different needs .The search will continue so the installer will have more than my two house foaming experience.A lot of the installers sound quite good but without foaming experience I don't see me going with any of them.

TLHWINDOW

#13 Post by TLHWINDOW »

pothole wrote:thanks everyone , great advice and I do need to keep looking.In my tri -county area of south florida if you called 50 window companies/installers, you would get 50 that would tell you foam is not used in their installs.IG glass is still in a minority of the windows installed here, aluminun is king of the frame, and every area of the world has different needs .The search will continue so the installer will have more than my two house foaming experience.A lot of the installers sound quite good but without foaming experience I don't see me going with any of them.
Keep looking, I know a few good installers down there the use foam..... and like IG units.... and vinyl frames.....

Don't give up and keep diligent.

pothole

#14 Post by pothole »

[quote="Keep looking, I know a few good installers down there the use foam..... and like IG units.... and vinyl frames.....

Don't give up and keep diligent.[/quote]

Thanks, so far some like the IG buts its a minority for sure,and foam might as well be a "south florida" window man's kryptonite.Will keep searching for sure , its a while till hurricane season is here.