Window World Prices - Latest Quotes

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
IDOWINDOWS

Window World Prices - Latest Quotes

#1 Post by IDOWINDOWS »

I considering purchasing some vinyl windows and am concerned about some of the quotes I'm getting. I responded to an add for a window from Window World at $ 189.00. When the guy came to my house the prices jumped to $ 336.00. He added Argon, Low-e, Glass breakage warranty, hurricane DP50 - 173 mph,and removing storm windows. Then he said they had a special for $ 269. The windows are 28 x 62. He said that he has a franchise from Window World and didn't know what brand of windows they were, or have a sheet with window world prices. Any info anyone can share about Window World would be appreciated.

pwhite

#2 Post by pwhite »

a couple of years ago, I had the windowworld rep here in st. louis come out and give me a bid. at that time, they were brand new to the market and like you, the price advertised (189) and the price qouted were way off..low e extra, argon extra, capping extra, grids extra. To answer your question, windowworld has their windows made by alside. the 4000 model is like an alside excaliber and the 6000 model is like the ultramaxx. you can logonto windowworld.com and see the specs on the windows or go to alside's website as well. We didn't go with them because at the time of my qoute, they hadn't even done a job in town...that kinda made me uneasy...also, I think they wanted almost half down. yikes.

JScott

#3 Post by JScott »

They advertise any window installed $189. I have thought of having them stop by. Would like to have my 54 x 90 double hungs changed out at that price. Won't even need the screen, they can keep it. Has no one figured out their cost on the product should be $60-$80 or do people think the installation is done by the Salvation Army(no disrespect). The red flag for used car salesmanship should appear on your forehead. Personnally as a somewhat "professional" I think they should be tarred and feathered taking advantage of the public through their above the board marketing tactics. But again, people still buy Pella too I think.

kz2005

#4 Post by kz2005 »

I haven't made a decision yet. Unlike other bidders, Window World of DC (northern Virginia) has provided a printed price list, including the following:

Series 1000 SH - $185
Series 2000 DH - $190
Series 4000 DH - $200
Series 6000 DH - $210
Hopper windows - $190
Full screens - $22
Colonial grids - $37
Picture window - $329
Casement - $250

Custom Exterior Trim - $60
Metal/Aluminum/Vinyl Removal - $60
Remove storm windows - $12
PPG Solarban 60 Low E/Argon - $43
Tempered Sash - $70
Obscure glass - $35
Repair sill or jamb - $75

Site set-up and landfill disposal fee - $100

Thus, the total installed price for their 6000 top of the line double hung windows with low E/Argon and without grids would be $313 per window, or $325 per window if a storm window has to be removed, plus the $100 disposal fee for the entire order.

I would be interested to hear of any reports about the quality of their installations and whether they increase the price during installation on grounds of rotten or defective sill or jamb.

windowmann2000

Window World

#5 Post by windowmann2000 »

Be carefull and read contract's very carefully as extra's can be added. For the most part they use sub contractor's, not that that is bad but the quality of workmanship varies widely. Window World's pay schedule for their sub's is the lowest in the business, thus your not alway's going to get the best installer.
They use Alside as their major supplier and American Weatherseal in other area's of the Midweat for their windows, and the $189.00 price is for any size white double hung. This does not include two or three lite sliders and picture windows, which are substantially higher. Low-e, exterior wrapping inside and outside stops etc are always extra and usually marked up too much as is their disposal fee which can run anything the salesman think's he can get from 0 to three hundred dollars or more.
If you do your shopping you can usually find a small dealer locally that would match their total price and you would be better off. If you choose to do business with them remember the $189.00 is for their low end window and is sold for just what's it's worth. It doesn't cost that much more to upgrade to their best series which I feel is a must. Again I really don't reccomend that you choose them as your contractor, but if price is your primary concern and you can't find anyone else than go to the job-sites of their references and personally inspect their work and talk to the people. After viewing some if you find the workmanship acceptable demand the same installation crew's.

AR50

#6 Post by AR50 »

WW's entire warranty for all their windows combined is $250. So, something tells me that the first time they have to come out to do a service, that customer has just used their lifetime warranty. For all their windows.

XxDuaniacxX

Re: Questions on Window World

#7 Post by XxDuaniacxX »

I would be interested to hear of any reports about the quality of their installations and whether they increase the price during installation on grounds of rotten or defective sill or jamb.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok quick answer.
They use sub-contractors that get paid 25.00 a window, they're going to get away with whatever they can to cut corners.
On average the subs in Kansas City get paid between 60.00-80.00 per window....so you have to ask yourself "what sub would install for them at 25.00 per, when they can go to XYZ window company and get paid 70.00 per?"
Answer: Their subs have already been to XYZ and couldn't cut it....WW is their last option.

Skydawggy.

#8 Post by Skydawggy. »

What about the installer convinced you they were highly skilled or that you got a high quality installation? I'm not saying you didn't, I'm just asking how you know? Please be specific?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Really good and experienced window and door mechanics that do consistent high quality work and are reliable, are very hard to find. I think that most carpenters and industry pros would agree that pay level these $189 types of franchises pay their installers short cuts and speed trump skilled craftsmanship.

I do not mean to insult the average homeowner, but how does one know if their install is correct? Is it because everything is nicer looking and "white" compared to the old windows? Typically we see problems after a few years when the prettiness has long left. When these guys call me for work, I simply tell them that me and anyone who works with me is drug tested. That's usually the end of things.

Skydawggy.

#11 Post by Skydawggy. »

Delaware Mike wrote:Really good and experienced window and door mechanics that do consistent high quality work and are reliable, are very hard to find. When these guys call me for work, I simply tell them that me and anyone who works with me is drug tested. That's usually the end of things.
Amen, brother. :lol:

Too often installers who can't hold a steady job due to alchohol, drugs or psychological problems or criminal records end up working for dealers who pay peanuts because they know they can't get hired by the better companies.

Now, before the hate mail starts, I'm not saying everyone who works for WW or others of their ilk have substance abuse problems or are criminals.