Buying replacement windows for a rental property...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
NClandlord81

Buying replacement windows for a rental property...

#1 Post by NClandlord81 »

I own a duplex and its energy efficiency is not very good. I've insulated the attic and under the house and it hasn't helped enough. I figure the next logical step is to replace the windows (which are original to the property...1968). I don't have any experience purchasing windows...so I need some advice. What I need is a window that will offer pretty good energy efficiency (something that will significantly lower the energy bill) at a good price. This is probably asking for too much, but the main idea to me is a good value. I've gotten a quote from Window World...

Thanks in advance for all the knowledge.

NClandlord81

Re: Buying replacement windows for a rental property...

#2 Post by NClandlord81 »

Let me know if I need to share any other information...

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Insulation is certainly part of the equation but does not address what are usually the more nagging issues of residential inefficiencies.

You are in Window World's backyard but I would encourage you to do some careful reading and research on brands. A poorly researched decision can get you a window that will make you home worse off than from before.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Inlsuated the attic and under the house are pretty vague terms.Did you seal air leaks,install vent chutes,are the walls insulated,do a blower door test?Simply adding insulation doesn't always give the results you think with out addressing some of these other issues.What type of window system do you have now,are they in obvious bad shape?I would only expect a big improvement if your windows are single glaze and without storms or are leaking.Do a search on this board for Window World and then start getting some bids from some independent window contractors.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:Inlsuated the attic and under the house are pretty vague terms.Did you seal air leaks,install vent chutes,are the walls insulated,do a blower door test?Simply adding insulation doesn't always give the results you think with out addressing some of these other issues.What type of window system do you have now,are they in obvious bad shape?I would only expect a big improvement if your windows are single glaze and without storms or are leaking.Do a search on this board for Window World and then start getting some bids from some independent window contractors.
+1

Very well said.

NClandlord81

#6 Post by NClandlord81 »

Inlsuated the attic and under the house are pretty vague terms.Did you seal air leaks,install vent chutes,are the walls insulated,do a blower door test
Nope I haven't done any of those things yet. Maybe I should?

As far as the windows go...they are single pane windows and a couple of them are in obviously bad shape. They have storm windows on them, but they are difficult to operate and easy to knock off their tracks. Past renters open them in order to let fresh air in during the spring and fall months and never shut them back (or try to shut them back and fail to do so correctly). I need something that is easy to use so that I'm not faced with continuous maintenance issues.

NClandlord81

#7 Post by NClandlord81 »

Could I buy a Black & Decker Thermal Leak Detector as an alternative to the "blower door test"? The Black and Decker product is $43.74 at Amazon. I wonder what the usual going rate is for a "blower door test"???

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

All that device tells you is the temperture of the point that you aim it at. You can pick one up from Home Depot for like $20, it just doesn't have the "highly advanced technology" to turn the numbers blue or red depending on the temp. A blower door test is FAR more comprehensive and will be much more helpful in determining the issues in your home.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

Sounds like you should replace your windows regardless of the energy savings.Make sure you check your egress rules beforehand. Sealing any attic leaks now will be a pain in the ~ since you have already added insulation,more damage could be done at this point if someone is not carefull.You could do a homemade blower door test with a box fan,it is fairly simple to do and no special tools are needed to detect the leaks because you will be able to feel them and some cases here them.Just do a google search on homemade blower door test and finding and sealing air leaks.You can also search this board for recomended windows as well as the sisterboard.

kira10

#10 Post by kira10 »

NClandlord81 wrote:I own a duplex and its energy efficiency is not very good. I've insulated the attic and under the house and it hasn't helped enough. I figure the next logical step is to replace the windows (which are original to the property...1968). I don't have any experience purchasing windows...so I need some advice. What I need Find private landlords is a window that will offer pretty good energy efficiency (something that will significantly lower the energy bill) at a good price. This is probably asking for too much, but the main idea to me is a good value. I've gotten a quote from Window World...

HI
Insulation is certainly part of the equation but does not address what are usually the more nagging issues of residential inefficiencies.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are those more nagging issues of residential inefficiencies?

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

For rentals I would suggest Okna 400DX or 500DX or their equal.

theWindowNerd.

tifon

#13 Post by tifon »

NClandlord81 wrote:I own a duplex and its energy efficiency is not very good. I've insulated the attic and under the house and it hasn't helped enough. I figure the next logical step is to replace the windows (which are original to the private landlords ...1968). I don't have any experience purchasing windows...so I need some advice. What I need is a window that will offer pretty good energy efficiency (something that will significantly lower the energy bill) at a good price. This is probably asking for too much, but the main idea to me is a good value. I've gotten a quote from Window World...

Hello,
You probably want something called Low E glass (or something similar) This is glass that tends to reflect the heat.

Don K.

#14 Post by Don K. »

tifon wrote:
NClandlord81 wrote:I own a duplex and its energy efficiency is not very good. I've insulated the attic and under the house and it hasn't helped enough. I figure the next logical step is to replace the windows (which are original to the private landlords ...1968). I don't have any experience purchasing windows...so I need some advice. What I need is a window that will offer pretty good energy efficiency (something that will significantly lower the energy bill) at a good price. This is probably asking for too much, but the main idea to me is a good value. I've gotten a quote from Window World...

Hello,
You probably want something called Low E glass (or something similar) This is glass that tends to reflect the heat.
This thread is over six years old from Feb. 2011. I imagine it's been done long ago.

tonybons

#15 Post by tonybons »

NClandlord81 wrote:I own a duplex and its energy efficiency is not very good. I've insulated the attic and under the house and it hasn't helped enough. I figure the next Landlords that accept DSS step is to replace the windows (which are original to the property...1968). I don't have any experience purchasing windows...so I need some advice. What I need is a window that will offer pretty good energy efficiency (something that will significantly lower the energy bill) at a good price. This is probably asking for too much, but the main idea to me is a good value. I've gotten a quote from Window World...

Hello,
In my opinion, before you go to purchase a Window for your Duplex. You have to check the agreement or should talk with your landlord. If your landlord allows you to make changes according to you then its Ok other wise you have to find out a new way for it.. ...