Simonton vs. PGT and other window advice sought

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
stpete

Simonton vs. PGT and other window advice sought

#1 Post by stpete »

I'm replacing three windows. Actually in window speak, it is four windows. I have one very large window that will take two windows to replace it. I'm planning to get double-hungs to allow for more of a breeze when I have the windows open. So it will be two 52W X 62H and two 52W X 50H windows. I want to get impact-resistant windows and I want to increase my energy efficiency.

I live in St. Petersburg, FL and I have a concrete block home built in the 1960s. I am replacing the original windows.

I've had the Simonton StormBreaker Plus 300VL pitched to me and both the PGT Winguard and PGT PremierVue pitched to me. I think I am leaning towards a PGT window. Should I consider a Simonton window or a different brand?

Is there that much more advantage to spending the extra money for the PremierVue? I've had a couple of the companies tell me that I would be good with the Winguard and I don't need the PremierVue. I've got another guy telling me that new codes have been approved in the state of Florida but not yet implemented. The PremierVue will meet the new codes. I know he is trying to sell me something that will make more money for him but I'm planning to eventually replace all the windows on my home. So if down the road, the codes do change, it would be nice to have everything match. On the other hand I should probably worry about that when the codes are actually in place.

I have not checked on this yet but I heard I will get a discount with the insurance company with these windows. I imagine the discount would be about the same for any impact-resistant window just for being an impact-resistant window and there would not be much difference between the PremierVue and the Winguard.

One guy gave me an estimate that he could install the PremierVue for about $421 more than the Winguard but another quote has a difference of about $1900 between the two.

Are there other things I need to consider or questions I should ask?

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

TLHWINDOW

Re: Simonton vs. PGT and other window advice sought

#2 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Real quick just in case you come back to the boards.

I would choose a Winguard over a Premire because they are basically the same window. Winguard is a Class 'D' so it will suit your needs.

I would choose a PGT over Simonton.

stpete

#3 Post by stpete »

I am still here--despite some of the companies telling me there was a price increase on Monday with PGT windows, I wasn't rushing the purchase. Thank you very much. Your advice helps a lot.

Now that I have the model selected, I've been going back and forth about single-hung versus double-hung in some windows. I like the idea of getting more breeze in the bigger windows. I have cats so if they start scratching a screen to get to a bug or lizard on the other side, I can open the top window. From reading these boards, I like the idea one person posted--having double-hungs in the room used as an office. That way the top can be open and not blow stacks of paper around. Taking all that into account, that leaves two windows that I might have single-hungs installed. So I guess I may as well go double-hungs all the way around.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on these boards over the years. There is a lot of good information here and it has been a great resource as I researched this project.

So in return, I'll offer a piece of information that might be of interest to some. I've had some of the window companies push me towards single-hungs in some windows. One reason was because of the curtains. They said double-hungs would be a pain to access behind the curtains or shades. As I get the windows installed, I'm planning to get new window treatments to match the new windows. I learned about Top Down/Bottom Up Cordless Cellular Shades from a friend of mine. With these shades, you can open the top of the shade to match opening the top of the window. Or open the bottom and match the opening at the bottom. Or both! And if you have cats or kids, no cords!

Thanks again.

TLHWINDOW

#4 Post by TLHWINDOW »

The main reason I go with single hungs is mostly location, and priceing for some. Location because the DP on a Single hung is typically higher than a Double Hung. Pricing, because I can get a Single hung impact for less of a price than a DH.

I think you will like the Winguards, they are nice and put togethor well.

Also, there was a price increase this year, it may have gone into affect this month.

And.... your blind issue is why I'm a blind dealer as well.

Good luck on your install.