Windows With Built-In Mini Blinds

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Raven Fan

Windows With Built-In Mini Blinds

#1 Post by Raven Fan »

We're in the market for replacement windows and now my "Kitchen Queen" wants me to explore windows that are available with built-in mini blinds. If anyone is familiar with this option, please chime in. I've heard that Pella windows offers this as an option, but I haven't heard too many other good things about Pella. What other windows can be bought with built-in blinds and what are the pros and cons? I would think that blinds would have some impact on the windows insulating properties since (presumably) the use of blinds means no gas between the glass panes. Also, if you go with blinds does that eliminate the possibility of built-in grills? How much do the blinds add to the price of the window?

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows With Built-In Mini Blinds

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Internal mini-blinds will come at the expense of thermal performance.

You will not find a window with both internal blinds and internal grids. I am sure you probably figured on that one.

If you are going to internal mini-blinds, you are going to need to rely on an external grid in most cases.

Most companies (vinyl) that are doing mini-blinds are doing them in the Sliding Glass Door.

Keep in mind that many manufacturers have phased them out of some lines because of operational issues.

Raven Fan

#3 Post by Raven Fan »

WOW --- Yep. I've already let it be known, it wasn't likely to happen but I had to ask just to give myself some cover. Thanks though.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Of the vinyl manufacturers out there that do blinds I feel that Sunrise does a real nice job with the internal blinds. They seem to be pretty fair with the pricing also on this option and since they started performing this process in house I've not had a defective unit.

I put a Vanguard double hung in my Grandmother's bathroom a couple of years ago with a white exterior and Brazilian Pecan interior that featured gold blinds to match some of the brass hardware in the bathroom. I ripped off the old ranch casings that were just painted white and installed new 3.5" colonial fat edge oak casings that I stained to match the Sunrise interior laminate. The whole goal with this unit was first of all to get a working double hung in there since her old vinyl window had broken balances as it was the typical mechanical cornered vinyl window from the 80's. The deal with the blinds was to eliminate the need for new blinds every couple of months since her cat would fish his body around the edge of them and break every set. With the blinds between the glass I thought that I solved the problem, and it did but it created another.

If you raise the lower sash on a double hung unit with the blinds between the glass the blinds obviously go with that sash and you will lose some privacy. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as since this unit features a full screen one would think she could just lower the top sash if needed, but since it's been installed her shoulders are real bad now and she can't reach the lift rail on the top sash. She still loves the window, however she wouldn't want them in the rest of the openings of the house.

Sunrise will do a less energy efficient hard coat of low-e in the IG which is better than nothing for radiant heat transfer but like everyone else, no argon and no grids.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you id consider Pella you would have grids and 13 pleattedshades/8miniblind options with low e argon glass.
Very nice system, ten year warranty, 20 years on seal failure.
In my expeirence if they are installed correctly, very little problems.
They are very exspensive.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote: They are very exspensive.
+1 on this.

chrissa

#7 Post by chrissa »

Whatever its price, I would go for mini blinds. Mini blinds offer the consumer different price options depending on their budget. When choosing your mini blind it is important to realize that not all are created equally. Mini blinds work well to cover windows In doors where you do not have much room between the blind and the door handle.
Last edited by chrissa on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

chrissa wrote:Whatever its price, I would go for mini blinds. Mini blinds offer the consumer different price options depending on their budget. When choosing your mini blind it is important to realize that not all are created equally. Mini blinds work well to cover windows In doors where you do not have much room between the blind and the door handle.
Huh!???? ..... Gorell offers blinds in the glass with external SDL grids. NOT cheap, but its a nice looking combo.