product line recommendations

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
fairways

product line recommendations

#1 Post by fairways »

I'll be seeking quotes for an insert replacement window project, I'd appreciate some recommendations on particular product lines that suit my criteria, thanks.

- Ranch style house, cut stone exterior, window openings are recessed.
- Presently have 14 various size double hungs and 3 80w x 48h picture openings.
- Considering changing/upgrading to casement or awning instead of double hungs, mainly for a more simple, contemporary exterior appearance.

Seeking two types of quotes:
1. Less expensive - Good quality (e.g. Simonton) 3 pictures & 14 double hungs.
2. More expensive - 3 pictures & 14 casement or awning function.

- Do not want to divide the picture openings, a fixed insert is desired.
- Two openings (40w x 38h and 52w x 42) are wider than a single casement can do, and higher than some product lines' awning function can accommodate.
- Want to reduce solar gain on half the openings without an objectionable dark appearing tint.
- Exterior color/cladding to be a warm "putty" or "mortar" gray (to blend in with the stone mortar).
- Interior color to be white (not off-white), interior hardware white. Will consider primed painted wood that I would finish.
- Good track record for functionality, service, and warranty features.

I'm open to all comments, questions, and suggestions, thanks for your help.

Windows on Washington

Re: product line recommendations

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What kind of material are you looking for?

40" wide is doable in some series of casement windows that I have worked with before. Depends on the window line.

Standard Low-e (i.e. 2 soft coat) will more than cut solar heat gain in half.

Exterior cladding colors are available in that family of colors, in a painted finish (vinyl/composite) or in a cap stock (fiberglass).

White interior is obviously pretty commonplace.

Depending on your material requests, the pros can recommend specific brands at that point.

Post up some answers and we will get this hashed out for you. :D

fairways

#3 Post by fairways »

Regarding material, I'm open to alternatives.
- Perhaps aluminum clad exterior with compatible aluminum trim coil to wrap the brick mold. I am also going to have a project to re-roof, wrap roof trim, new gutters, fascia wrap, soffits, so it would be advantageous to have a common or close match aluminum color. Aluminum clad is not critical, though.
- Since I mentioned Simonton, I'm open to a highly rated vinyl, especially for a lower cost alternative. Their Driftwood exterior color would be acceptable. I can stand the way they finish their interior welded joints, some other vinyls have messy joints I would not accept.
- I'm open to fiberglass, last year I had a Peachtree fiberglass full light front door installed along with the Pella full light aluminum storm. On the windows I do not want a simulated wood grain, smooth preferred, all the interior wood trim is painted semi-gloss white.

So far it looks like many lines limit casement widths to 36", certainly not up to 52" wide. I believe I could live with 2 awning function windows (kitchen) along with 12 casements if they all had the same exterior appearance (when closed).

I'd consider additional low e coating to further reduce solar gain on high sun exposures if the tint wasn't significantly darker than basic coating on north exposure (corner lot, north and east sides are equally visible from the street.)

Thanks.

buddy11

#4 Post by buddy11 »

Windows on Washington wrote:What kind of material are you looking for?

40" wide is doable in some series of casement windows that I have worked with before. Depends on the window line.

Standard Low-e (i.e. 2 soft coat) will more than cut solar heat gain in half.

Exterior cladding colors are available in that family of colors, in a painted finish (vinyl/composite) or in a cap stock (fiberglass).

White interior is obviously pretty commonplace.

Depending on your material requests, the pros can recommend specific brands at that point.

Post up some answers and we will get this hashed out for you. :D
Not sure I would call Fiberglass (assuming Infinity) a capstock. It's a cohesive acrylic coating.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy11 wrote: Not sure I would call Fiberglass (assuming Infinity) a capstock. It's a cohesive acrylic coating.
I must have been reading another article about another window. The Marvin coloration process is added during the extrusion process and is not what people tend to think of as a "painted" finish.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
buddy11 wrote: Not sure I would call Fiberglass (assuming Infinity) a capstock. It's a cohesive acrylic coating.
I must have been reading another article about another window. The Marvin coloration process is added during the extrusion process and is not what people tend to think of as a "painted" finish.
very tough finish.

fairways

#7 Post by fairways »

Original poster here.

Today I've been researching the (Marvin) Integrity All Ultrex line. Seems to meet my criteria at a lower cost than Marvin wood windows. I plan to visit a local showroom to look at them. Any comments (pro or con) on the All Ultrex line? Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think all the Marvin products are pretty solid.

Buddy has Integrity windows in his home and likes them quite a bit so that is a good endorsement right there.