Help with PGT Replacement Window in Southwest Florida

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Rinahen

Help with PGT Replacement Window in Southwest Florida

#1 Post by Rinahen »

Hi everyone:
I never knew how hard it would be to pick out replacement windows! Luckily, we have narrowed it down to PGT Windowguard ... although a few salesmen have talked up the Premiere View. Here are my questions/concerns. We have an older 1950s ranch style home, with a lot of charm. We are replacing the original casement windows that no longer open or close all the way. I love the cottagey look of our home and would like to maintain the look as much as possible, while at the same time updating and improving our home. I've decided on single hung with muntins (grids?) for the front elevation of our home. I've been told that single hung would be good, rather than double hung, since our home is a single story. I'm unsure about whether to have the muntins installed inside window (internally) versus a contoured grid on the outside of the glass... I need opinions on this please... I have noticed some windows that the grids look like they have shifted... that would bug me immensely... wondering if this would occur with the grids inside or on the outside... Has anyone had experience with internal vs. external grids?? would appreciate any benefits for either style... need to decide tomorrow. Also, we have a large picture window on the front entry of our home, with the old casements on either side. My husband wants to keep the picture window (new glass of course) and am at a quandry about whether to put casements on either side or to go with the single hung like the rest of the windows. The windows flanking the picture window measure around 32 w by 62 long. It would be nice to not have the horozontal bar to break up the window in the front... would it be bad to mix up the styles (casement vs. single hung?) Also, in our back we are considering going with just plain single hung... we have a lovely back yard and like the open look... would this too be not a good idea.... should I keep everything uniform??

Thanks for your help!!

Skydawggy.

Re: Help with PGT Replacement Window in Southwest Florida

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

yes

Samantha77

#3 Post by Samantha77 »

I'll see if I can be a little more helpful :) .

First as far as the grids go here are the trade offs as I see them. The internal grids are protected in between the glass so they can't get damaged by kids or dogs or anything else. This means they should hold up essentially forever. If they were to shift or change position that would be covered under the warranty (I'm not specifically familiar with PGT's warranty, but most reputable companies would cover something like this). Some people prefer the external grids because the look more closely mimics what was there before and some people just really like that. I tend to recommend internal grids because the style difference isn't that big of a deal to me, but of course that's something only you can decide. The external grids on a lot of vinyl windows look kind of cheap in my opinion anyway so maybe why bother?

As far as the casements vs single hung debate it is again a matter of style, but I do not think it would be strange to mix casement windows and single hung windows. The right windows in this case are the ones that make you happy.

One suggestion I would make would be to ask what the price difference would be to use double hung windows instead of single hung. It's probably only $10-$20 per window. The advantage is that then you can clean the top half of the window from the inside because it will tilt is just as the bottom half does. Some contractors might not think about cleaning windows, but I can tell you from experience that it is much easier when you don't need to go outside (with a step ladder if you're short like me) to do the top half of all of your windows. For a little more now you might be able to make things easier for yourself down the road.

Good luck with your project!

TLHWINDOW

#4 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Quick:

Premier Vue is not worth it unless you live in Miami.

I haven't seen internal grids shift for over 3 years in a PGT, and usually PGT fixes it if its over 1/8 of an inch.

Casements and SH go fine togethor, just look at the design of your house, and try not to switch them up too much (group togethor if possible).

Pricing for SH and DH, can actually vary from $20 - $60 depending on the size.
SH's are typically higher DP rated.

If you need to meet turtle code, use Solar Control 240 instead of tint. It makes the glass dark enough to meek the code.