expanded polymer composit windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ldina72247

expanded polymer composit windows

#1 Post by ldina72247 »

I have to replace all of my windows, a french door and a garden window. I have been researching for months and even though I still feel very confused, I thought I settled on 2 options: the Simonton Prism Platnum (9800 series) or the Alsides Sheffield. Then along came another option at the last moment that is not vinyl but an expanded polymer composit material and is a triple pane window.. The company is THV Compozit. Does anyone know if this material is superior to vinyl? What about the company? I know the important thing is the glass but a solid frame would seem to be very important as well. If anyone has any experience with these windows I would love for you to share....would be very helpful. Thanks ! LDV

Windows on Washington

Re: expanded polymer composit windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The term composite if probably a stretch.

The THV window is actually a foam PVC (PVC with air bubbles trapped in the matrix). There are a couple of foamed PVC windows that I like and the THV is not one of them. I prefer the Okna Starmark if you like that frame material as it is a more well engineered window in that same material.

In terms of performance, the foamed PVC does offer some advantages but they are not as significant as probably promoted by the distributor of the THV window.

I don't care much for 1/2 of your vinyl window choices (Alside Sheffield). Depending on where you are located, the Starmark might be available to you and is worth a look.

Depending on your climate region, there might be more worthwhile investments than triple pane "composites".

What was the price differential or breakdown of the 3 quotes?

ldina72247

#3 Post by ldina72247 »

Thanks..... I live in Denver so that might weigh in on what choices I should be looking at.
I am waiting for the quote on the THV compozit windows. I will only consider a composit (expanded polymer) if the quote is close to the other windows quotes.
I have been considering. All things being equal (quotes) would a expanded polymer composit window be a better choice? Their claim is that because the frame is one piece...no screws etc it is stronger and tighter and does not contract and expland as vinyl does. True?.
I've received quite a few quotes for the Alsides Shefield and Simonton Prism Platnum (and 9800 series which I think is the same) For 13 windows, garden window, and french door, I am seeing quotes ranging from $10,000/$13,000. for the vinyl. The THV rep also sells Alsides and recommended the Excalibur which he says performs as well as the Shefield if the glass pkg is upgraded....and would be less expensive if I go with vinyl.. The frame for that window is not as bulky which looks better but don't know if you sacrifice performance with a less bulky frame.
If I end up going with vinyl, do you think the Simonton Prism Platnum choice makes a better window than the Alsides Shefield or Excalibur? I will look into the Sarmark. Thanks !

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Simonton is a much better window than Alside.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Almost all vinyl replacement windows are based on welded construction (i.e. no screws).

The THV rep claiming that the Excalibur would be suitable in any capacity is a huge red flag in my book.