Estimate - Pittsburgh PA

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dtalamo

Estimate - Pittsburgh PA

#1 Post by dtalamo »

Hi all!!

I received a quote for the following Restorations windows w/UltraCore, all Triple pane with Argon this includes installation:
These are very rough measurement all within 1 or 2 inches.
8 Total Casement windows - 4 Dining Room & 4 Master Bedroom
2 - 22x70
2 - 18x70
2 - 22x60
2 - 18x60
+ 1 Half Moon (I think thats what their called) - 48 wide x 24 height

Estimate came in at $10,500 total.

I read somewhere that the range/ballpark for an Installed window should fall between $350 - $750 per window. Even if I choose the top end, that would mean that I should be looking for an estimate to come in around 750x8=$6,000. I know the range can vary from region to region, but I doubt that it could be a $4,500 difference in Pittsburgh Pa.

Any thought and or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!!
Last edited by dtalamo on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Estimate - Pittsburgh PA

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pricing is dependent on a myriad of factor and not limited to installation requirements, installer competency, installation consumables, cost of doing business, product, options, and so on and so on.

While $1,300 may be the top of the market, it is infeasible to say without more details.

That withstanding, have you only gotten one quote? The Sunrise product is a premium product and certainly one of the top 3 casements made today but I think it is worth getting another quote or two.

Good luck.

tuttle3000

#3 Post by tuttle3000 »

I live in the Pittsburgh area myself and have been interviewing contractors for windows also. My experience has been that there can be variance in the prices quoted as well as the installation practices. There are a lot of good people on this board who can help you. I echo the advice of WOW and recommend you get a few other quotes.

The best window poorly installed is not a good window. Take some time and do your research on the installer as well as the window. You might want to consider 2-3 other brands and make some comparisons. The experts on here generally seem to like Sunrise, Okna, Soft-Lite, and Gorell windows. It is important to compare similar options on the windows e.g. double pane argon vs the same setup in another brand.

dtalamo

#4 Post by dtalamo »

Thanks guys!!

I do have a few more estimates coming later this week (Okna, and Gorell windows) and waiting for
Soft-Lite to get back to me. My first quote was from Restorations windows. Is Sunrise windows the same window, same quality, same guarantees as Restorations windows? I guess what I'm asking, should I also get a quote from Sunrise windows?

This forum has some great people on it and I'm glad that I found it.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer some of my questions!

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

The Restorations line is Sunrise's top of the line offering. It's a great window, and their new casement is extremely nice. In fact, there's not another vinyl casement that even comes close in terms of aesthetics, IMO.

As far as I know, the casement line is independent of the Restorations line though. In other words, the Vanguard casement is the exact same as the Restorations casement. So, you might look for a Sunrise Vanguard dealer in your area, and have them quote the casements for you, to compare pricing, installation, etc....... - if you really prefer the Sunrise casement to the others that you see.

Let us know how the other quotes go.

tuttle3000

#6 Post by tuttle3000 »

dtalamo, would you mind indicating who is giving you the quote on the Okna windows?

dtalamo

#7 Post by dtalamo »

Thanks Randy!

tuttle3000 - It's a company called Advanced Window & Doors. Do you know anything about them?

tuttle3000 - just read your other thread, do you mind telling me who the contractor was that quoted you both Gorell & Okna?
I am sill waiting for Soft-lite dealer (Hinkel-Hoffmann) to get back to me, is that who gave you a quote on your Soft-lite?

Thanks Again!
Last edited by dtalamo on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

At 10500 i would come from philly, but not for any less, haha.

dtalamo

#9 Post by dtalamo »

anthony - I just edited my original post with some additional info on my Quote for Restorations. Do you still want to make a road trip? Haha!

tuttle3000

#10 Post by tuttle3000 »

dtalamo--Advanced Window & Door quoted the Gorell & Okna windows. They seem to be reputable and are A+ with BBB and their references checked out. They also seem to be thorough installers.

Hinkel-Hofman is who I contacted for Soft-Lite and they got in touch with Metropolitan. Weathertite is a company out of Youngstown that sells a private label made by Soft-lite.

Hope you do well in your search.