Barber and Ross question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Len

Barber and Ross question

#1 Post by Len »

Hi all,
New member and first-time poster here. We have a seal failure on a Barber and Ross window (condensation got in and the interior panel cracked), but we're having a terrible time reaching anyone connected to B&R to get it resolved. Here's what we've done so far:

*Our developer gave us contact info for his B&R rep--number no longer in service
*I Googled the company name and dialed the phone number that came up (multiple times)--number no longer in service
*I've tried multiple times to reach the company's url: barberandross.com is what I have, but it never comes up

Does anyone here know how I can get this window replaced by B&R?

Or has this company disappeared without telling me? :)

And if so, does that mean I'm SOL when it comes to getting a warranty replacement?

And also, if I can't get a B&R replacement what would you folks recommend instead? This window is a small (roughly 36X16) double paned transom above a stationary panel. The entire installation is 2 stationaries and one hinged door, each of which has a transom above.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Randy

Re: Barber and Ross question

#2 Post by Randy »

Chances are, you're out of luck.

However, a local glass company should be able to make a new IG (insulated glass) unit for you and install it, without removing the entire window.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Barber and Ross is long time gone by now.

You are going to need to have the glass remade, window removed, or the glass retrofitted (i.e. Glass Guru).

Barber and Ross certainly produced some of the worst crap known to man and went the way of the DoDo bird after the fact.

You are SOL with Barber and Ross.

Len

#4 Post by Len »

Thanks Randy and WoW. I was afraid that was the answer, but I was hoping to be wrong.

I appreciate your time and your advice on next steps. Would you happen to have any recommendations for window people in the Chicago area? I wish I was still in DC, because based on everything I read in the archives before I wrote in, I'd already have Windows on Washington booked to do the job! :D

TLHWINDOW

#5 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Windows on Washington wrote:Barber and Ross is long time gone by now.

You are going to need to have the glass remade, window removed, or the glass retrofitted (i.e. Glass Guru).

Barber and Ross certainly produced some of the worst crap known to man and went the way of the DoDo bird after the fact.

Don't hold back Wow.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

TLHWINDOW wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:Barber and Ross is long time gone by now.

Don't hold back Wow.
Are you kidding me....I love Barber and Ross.

They are my best customer. What would guys like us do without guys like them??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

WindowRepairGuy

#7 Post by WindowRepairGuy »

There have been many people stricken with the B&R problems. Your best bet is to conact a reliable, honest window repair company who can provide you with replacement glass and sashes. Most of the time if you Google "local window repair" or "local glass relpacement" you'll get some decent results. Always be sure to check the BBB for any complaints against the company and google their name to search for reviews before you make any commitments. :D

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The frame materials on most of the Barber and Ross windows are just as terrible as the sashes and glass. Most of the openings are so out of square that they require considerable shimming and adjustments on an insert window.

As a result, a full insert with considerable sill repairs and shimming are often required.

Most Barber and Ross windows I have seen would be cost prohibitive to "repair".

BarberRoss

#9 Post by BarberRoss »

Interested in knowing if owners of Barber & Ross wood storm windows are in need of the two hanging clips that mount in the upper storm window pane. Likely the homeowner replaced them years ago. The two clips hold the upper storm in the wooden frame such that the lower screen when removed does not result in the upper pane free falling. The clips over many years will either fall out or break off with age and sun exposure. Since Barber & Ross went out of business in Leesburg, Virginia years ago, I had the plastic clips manufactured.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Do you want to post up a picture of the clips in question?