Do Large Vinyl Windows eventually bow out from heat?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JJPIII

Do Large Vinyl Windows eventually bow out from heat?

#1 Post by JJPIII »

I live in the Dallas area of Texas. Right now we are over 30 days in a row above 100 degrees. I have several tall windows that i want to replace. I have been told that large vinyl windows can bow over time due to heat and glass weight. If this is true is there a size range past which i should consider other window alternatives.
The windows I am considering are NT Windows Executive and Presidential.

Thanks for your help.

skydawggy

Re: Do Large Vinyl Windows eventually bow out from heat?

#2 Post by skydawggy »

We normally recommend sash reinforcements in the Dallas area for vinyl windows. I would also emphatically suggest you purchase a high quality window made with a good grade of vinyl. There's a couple of window experts who live in Texas that post here. One of them will surely post soon and offer some advice as to specific brands that are available in Dallas.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

exactly. a premium grade vinyl will not warp but all the cheaper stuff always does. i would also recommend the sash reinforcement.
as a side note, lower quality vinyl still warps, even with reinforcement so premium grade vinyl in your case is paramount.

JJPIII

#4 Post by JJPIII »

Does any one know if the NT Windows made in Fort Worth have a good grade of Vinyl? And do Reinforced sashes add to the cost?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Randy....?

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

I would classify NT as a good choice in mid-grade windows, certainly not premium quality. Soft-lite, Sunrise, Gorell - all offer premium products that are available in the DFW area.

And to answer your other question, vinyl windows can and do sag/warp in the Texas heat without reinforcement, maximum UV inhibitors in the vinyl, thicker walls, etc.... If this is a short term house NT may be fine but if you intend to stay put for more than 7 or 8 years, I'd recommend stepping up to premium vinyl, fiberglass, or thermally-broken aluminum.

JJPIII

#7 Post by JJPIII »

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any max window dimension you should avoid going over with mid grade vinyl?

Something that others could look at and say, "My windows are all smaller than that, so I should be OK"?

This is a great resource site for the consumer. Glad I stumbled upon it.

Thanks Again!

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, based on personal experience only.

If the window is 72" or taller, I wouldn't want to go more than 36" wide with a mid-grade vinyl, particularly if the window has full sun exposure. NT's single hung will do better than their double hung.

JJPIII

#9 Post by JJPIII »

Thanks,

That is exactly what I was looking for.