Source for DIY full-frame replacement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Wood Sculptor

Source for DIY full-frame replacement windows

#1 Post by Wood Sculptor »

Job: DIY replacement of 16 double hung wood windows with full-frame replacements. The first floor is brick, second floor has vinyl siding.

In the 70s and 80s I helped manage a lumber yard in addition to building houses on the side. I’d pay a crew to frame it up, get it under roof, and take it from there. It’s been a while since I’ve taken on a job this size but I’ve reviewed Andersen’s replacement videos and think I’m up to the challenge.

Question: Which manufacturers sell full-frame replacement windows to DIYers either directly or through wholesalers / retailers?

Windows on Washington

Re: Source for DIY full-frame replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why full-frame?

Are you worried about glass loss?

I don't prefer full frame behind brick or siding unless you get a full nailing flange window back in there that can be flashed properly.

Wood Sculptor

#3 Post by Wood Sculptor »

The frames are rotted.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

How extensively? A bit of sill rot is pretty much the standard Pocket style install in our world.

Either or works and most good replacements have the option of jamb extensions and they can be set full frame at that point.

Wood Sculptor

#5 Post by Wood Sculptor »

Which manufacturers sell full-frame replacement windows to DIYers either directly or through wholesalers / retailers?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

That can vary from location to location and shop to shop. Some building supply houses will sell to anyone.

Most of the good windows that you read about on here are dealer direct (i.e. HiMark, Sunrise, Okna, etc), however, some building supply houses in my area do deal in Soft-Lite, Gorell, and other well thought of brands.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Most building supply houses will sell to the public. Softlite, Gorell, Sunrise, Simonton, Plygem, etc are all offered in one form or another. Okna and Himark may be offered DIY through a dealer, but probably not in your area. Any of the above choices can be had with a nailing fin for "new construction" application. They'll need jamb extensions as WoW alluded to, as they are all based on a "pocket replacement" jamb depth of 3 1/4". If you want a full 4 9/16" frame, you'll need to look at wood or fiberglass options. The Marvin Integrity is a pretty good, yet reasonably priced option in that regard.

Wood Sculptor

#8 Post by Wood Sculptor »

What about Andersen? I know they have a full-frame replacement window and a local dealer.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Andersen 400 WoodWright( not a large fan of products below this level) is available through all sorts of distribution channels.
I like doing full frame/full tears , I think it is the best overall process.
What color will the exterior be? The interior?
Doing a premium vinyl DH such as a HiMark, Soft-lite, Sunrise, or InLine(fiberglass) in a full frame application means the addition of a ~ 2.5" jamb extension to get to std 4 9/16, which can turn out very nice with a 4" stool(sill).

Wood Sculptor

#10 Post by Wood Sculptor »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the information. It looks like I've got some more research to do on these brands I've never heard of.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good hunting.

Keep us up to date on the progress. :D