BetterBilt windows???

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: BetterBilt windows???

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

There is no PM function on this site... If you like an opinion, you would just have to post it normally.
On Solar Industries, there is very little info out there. They don't even have windows on their website (only skylights and mirror doors). A search turned up the fact that they have a 10 yr warranty and chinese made extrusions, but I can't verify that. Maybe randy is familiar with them being down in Texas?

Randy

#17 Post by Randy »

Sorry, I've never heard of them.

jeff1995

#18 Post by jeff1995 »

They are out of Arizona. Builders grade at best. But the price is SO low. Solar has been in the window business for at least 15 years.

z06mike

#19 Post by z06mike »

jeff1995 wrote:They are out of Arizona. Builders grade at best. But the price is SO low. Solar has been in the window business for at least 15 years.

So with the price being SO low are they down there with Royal and BetterBilt? Are they better than either of those 2?

TheWindowNerd

#20 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Builders grade means it is not good.
Additionally you are in the south, high heat reguires mid to premium windows.
It is never cheaper to do the same project twice.

z06mike

#21 Post by z06mike »

Windows on Washington wrote:
z06mike wrote:
Randy wrote:In El Paso, if you're going to go with Simonton, I'd stick with either the 5500 or 9800 series, and upgrade to the optional sash reinforcement, along with Low-E366.
The quote he is preparing for me is for the 5050 (which is also what he brought for me to look at). What do you think of the 5050?
Go with the heftier 5550/Prism Platinum or the 9800 with sash reinforcement.

The cost differential between an average window and a good window will be small and you will get a product that will serve you much better for years to come.

He didn't give me an exact quote for the 5500 yet, but he told me that it would be about 40% more than the 5050. Does that sound about right??

z06mike

#22 Post by z06mike »

These are the windows that I have:

Picture windows
2-34 x 57.5
1-69.5 x 57.5
2-23 x 57.5
1-43 x 57.5

Sliders
2-47.5 x 35.5
3-35.5 x 23.5 (1 needs to be obscure)
2-71.5 x 35.5

Patio Sliding Doors
1-96 x 80
1-72 x 80

In your professional opinions, what do you think I should be paying for a job like this with mid to premium windows?

EcoStar Remodeling

#23 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

We generally don't comment on specific prices. If we feel a price is really out of line, then we will say so. This because we have no idea of the market conditions where you live, dealer overhead, local labor market etc. If you want to know if that's a good price, then I would get a couple of estimates to compare it with.

z06mike

#24 Post by z06mike »

Ballpark??? It doesn't have to be super specific.

HomeSealed

#25 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to Eco's comments. The range for mid to premium grade products is about $400-$900 per unit. There are way too many factors that are unknown to get anymore specific, unless you provide some of those details and the price that you've been quoted. Then you can probably get a yay or nay on whether or not the price is fair. Sliding vinyl patio doors average in the $2-$3k range typically. Bare bones maybe slightly less.

EcoStar Remodeling

#26 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

z06mike wrote:Ballpark??? It doesn't have to be super specific.

Nope. As I said, if you don't think it's a fair price, then get a couple of estimates. Hopefully, you are also asking installation questions too. Two dealers can quote you 2 different prices on the same window and it might be to your benefit to go with the higher quote. This site is not here to assist consumers in obtaining the lowest price. It is here for consumers to educate themselves as to the various windows and options available and to help them understand what constitutes a quality window so they can make an intelligent decision.

The day it becomes anything other than that is the day I stop posting here.

HomeSealed

#27 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:

Nope. As I said, if you don't think it's a fair price, then get a couple of estimates. Hopefully, you are also asking installation questions too. Two dealers can quote you 2 different prices on the same window and it might be to your benefit to go with the higher quote. This site is not here to assist consumers in obtaining the lowest price. It is here for consumers to educate themselves as to the various windows and options available and to help them understand what constitutes a quality window so they can make an intelligent decision.

This site is also a valuable instrument to insure that consumers do not get raked over the coals, either by an outrageously high price, or one that is outrageously low enough to cause major concern. I'm sure that you would agree with that, and that commenting a "fair range" (without getting specific, for obvious reasons) is appropriate... Just thought op might need some clarification on that. :)

z06mike

#28 Post by z06mike »

HomeSealed wrote:

This site is also a valuable instrument to insure that consumers do not get raked over the coals, either by an outrageously high price, or one that is outrageously low enough to cause major concern. I'm sure that you would agree with that, and that commenting a "fair range" (without getting specific, for obvious reasons) is appropriate... Just thought op might need some clarification on that. :)

This is exactly why I am on here. I have no knowledge about windows and wanted to make sure I'm not getting hosed or buying a cheap product.

What are the specific questions I need ask the company/dealer to be sure I'm getting the right quality and type for my area?

z06mike

#29 Post by z06mike »

I have no idea what a "fair price" is. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Lowe's BetterBilt windows until I got on here and realized that would be a mistake. Then, after a couple of people recommended Simonton, I was ready to go with that guy. But now, the advice I am getting is that 5050 is not that great of a window :( . So I just keep getting more and more confused. The next guy in line uses Solar Industries and again I am being told that they are not good windows. I also had another guy (he has done quite a bit of work for me and my family in the past) come out and he uses Royal Windows, which apparently are also garbage. Apparently, we just don't have good brands in our area.

So, no I am not just trying to get the lowest price, but I do want to get quality at a fair price.

EcoStar Remodeling

#30 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Some of the brands we like are made by Sunrise, Softlite, Okna, Polaris and Gorell. I would suggest you contact te factories for a dealer in your area. Keep in mind that these manufacturers make several lines, so you need to find out which one they are showing you. You could also try a Google search. Not trying to give you a hard time but your question is akin to asking how much you should pay for a decent meal in a restaurant.

I will repeat my advice, get a few estimates, ask questions about the installation, get references and it doesn't hurt to check the BBB and Angies List.