M & I Windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TheWindowNerd

Re: M & I Windows?

#1 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would say that a stock size 6' door with bronze exterior in my market would be $1500 to 2500 depending on options.
That is for a premium vinyl door.
Look a little harder and beyond the big boxes.
Call a local siding supply yard, ask for a referal to their best window and door guy.

HomeSealed

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

anthony wrote:I would say that a stock size 6' door with bronze exterior in my market would be $1500 to 2500 depending on options.
That is for a premium vinyl door.
Look a little harder and beyond the big boxes.
Call a local siding supply yard, ask for a referal to their best window and door guy.
Well said. :D

EcoStar Remodeling

#3 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

How would a local siding distributor know who the best window and door installers are?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:How would a local siding distributor know who the best window and door installers are?
Most (or at least many) window and door guys also do siding. Personally, I started out purchasing windows from a supply house until I had enough volume to buy direct. My good relationship with suppliers of other materials have gotten me many referrals, because they know we are an honest, quality-minded company. :D

EcoStar Remodeling

#5 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

HomeSealed wrote:
EcoStar Remodeling wrote:How would a local siding distributor know who the best window and door installers are?
Most (or at least many) window and door guys also do siding. Personally, I started out purchasing windows from a supply house until I had enough volume to buy direct. My good relationship with suppliers of other materials have gotten me many referrals, because they know we are an honest, quality-minded company. :D
How would they know that? Because you go in and buy stuff and stand around B/S ing with them for a while? Have they ever actually gone with you and observed your installation techniques? Do you think they have been out with many of their customes and seen them work? Would most of them even know the difference between a good install and a poor one? Most of the guys who work in the supply houses I frequent think the MI and Atium windows they sell are really good. So, how would they have any knowledge of which installers do the best work?

I'm not attacking you or insinuating that you don't do very high quality work. In fact, I'm quite certain you are very good as is Anthony. I'm just questioning the advice given about quality installers, given by guys working in supply houses.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:
How would they know that? Because you go in and buy stuff and stand around B/S ing with them for a while? Have they ever actually gone with you and observed your installation techniques? Do you think they have been out with many of their customes and seen them work? Would most of them even know the difference between a good install and a poor one?
Yes, in this case that is what happens. When I purchased windows from them they were responsible for the service calls. They then had the opportunity to observe the quality of our work... I'd imagine that this is a common occurence.

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Most of the windows we sell, we buy direct from the factory, so I wouldn't know. That's why I asked. I have never had a guy working behind the counter at a supply house come out to do any service. We usually take care of our own service, or the factory sends a tech. I guess the guys working at the supply houses where you live are more knowledgable about installations and make a lot more service calls than the ones we have around here.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:Most of the windows we sell, we buy direct from the factory, so I wouldn't know. That's why I asked. I have never had a guy working behind the counter at a supply house come out to do any service. We usually take care of our own service, or the factory sends a tech. I guess the guys working at the supply houses where you live are more knowledgable about installations and make a lot more service calls than the ones we have around here.
I buy my windows direct as well, but as I mentioned previously, when a company starts out its is highly unlikely that they have the volume to do so, therefore they purchase through distribution. The "window guy" at the distributor where I used to purchase windows is pretty good. He formerly owned an installation company and services the windows that they sell... Perhaps other places aren't so lucky.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Milgard makes decent products, however the installation by any box store will be hit or miss. I would either ask your installer about using a different product, or look for another local window and door installation company. I mid-high quality product and install should be in the range that Anthony mentioned. I can't speak for him, but imo, $1200 would indicate that one or both of those areas will come up short.