Need New Windows!!!!!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Macaria

Need New Windows!!!!!

#1 Post by Macaria »

Our northeast Ohio home needs 12 new casement windows and one new sliding glass door; two of the windows are large three-unit picture windows. This is a complete tear-out to the studs of the existing Pella casement windows installed back in 1973. There are so many window choices available today; we want to spend our money wisely and buy quality windows from a truly reputable source without overpaying. We want the casement windows to be wood inside and vinyl or fiberglass outside. It is difficult to get beyond the sales pitch to actually compare the important product features. Good sales people can make almost any window sound like "the best".

Please recommend some brands of windows, and if possible, some dealers/installers in the Cleveland, Ohio, area that you respect for their quality, value, and integrity.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Need New Windows!!!!!

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You have two major task ahead of you.
You need to find the right product.
You need to find the right contractor.
I would look at Andersen( though the interior of some of their units is vinyl clad which has plusses and minuses, and their patio doors are not very air tight), Eagle, Marvin, and Inline( nice fiberglass window with option of oak laminated interior).
I think finding the right contractor is more important. Hopefully this person has broad based experience with all the products mentioned and is able to help you get the product education you need based on the needs and desires of your project.
I would look for someone who is Installation Master certified, Marvin certified, Pella certified, and mfg recommended.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to anthony's advice.

I like the Marvin Infinity casement and fiberglass as a material in general.

Inline also make a great fiberglass window and their re-designed casement is due out very soon if I am not mistaken.

Macaria

#4 Post by Macaria »

Thanks for your advice. I will check out your recommendations, plus Sunrise, which I saw mentioned several times in other posts.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sunrise makes a great casement window and has nice looks like stained wood options(they are vinyl window).
There are two other brands that do similar wood look finishes, Soft-lite and Okna. Any one of those three make an outstanding product.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

Sunrise's new casement is, in my opinion, far and away the best in vinyl. It maximizes the glass to frame ratio with narrow frames and sashes, it's extremely tight on AL, and the hardware is outstanding as well. I'd highly recommend getting a look at it if possible before making a final decision.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote:Sunrise makes a great casement window and has nice looks like stained wood options(they are vinyl window).
There are two other brands that do similar wood look finishes, Soft-lite and Okna. Any one of those three make an outstanding product.
That new screen is nice isn't it?

Macaria

#8 Post by Macaria »

Thank you again for your help and advice, which we followed first of all, by finding the right contractor. We have decided to purchase the Sunrise brand vinyl casement windows from Radiant Windows, LLC., of Oak Harbor, Ohio. The owner/salesman, Mike, was knowledgeable about all kinds of windows (he worked in the manufacturing end of the business prior to starting his own company and he sells and installs several top-rated brands of windows) and after comparing the benefits of a wood window to the Sunrise vinyl window we made our choice. I will post a review of the windows in the future.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Can't speak on the dealer, but you've made a good choice on product. :) Be sure to post back your thoughts after they've been installed.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Also sounds like you found a good contractor.
Broad spectrum experience and independence.