How do I find the "right" installer

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AllisonM

How do I find the "right" installer

#1 Post by AllisonM »

Hi All,

I need some help. I have read this board, checked Angies List, and BBB. Any advice on how to find the best installer for my project? I need to replace 18 windows and reside North of Chicago. There are many companies out here, but does anybody have a check list I can use to ensure I have the right company?

thanks all

Allison

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: How do I find the "right" installer

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

There is no one best way to perform any installation nor is there any "list" that can assure you the job will be done correctly. I would start by asking about the different windows they carry. Generally, a contractor that carries the better brands will do a better installation because they have a commitment to quality. I would ask for references from previous installations.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

You are in luck because the best installer you'll find in the Chicago area is a contributor here. His screen name is Window4U and you can find him on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4808.
Just click on the get a quote button near his name. He offers a few of the best products that you'll find.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 on both accounts.

You need to see work samples, talk to past customers, vet the contractor, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day you really need to do some research on your own and educate yourself to make sure you aren't being fed a line of BS.

Dave, aka Window4U, is right in your neck of woods. You should absolutely give him a click and you will be pleasantly surprised.

AllisonM

#5 Post by AllisonM »

Okay-

Got a quote from an Angies List "A" super service award winner.

He quoted Alside Ultramaxx triple pane.

The installer seemed to be very good.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

If you do a search of this site (and others), you'll find that product is not held in high regard. I would definitely get another quote or two.

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

I agree, Alside does not make a quality product. Window4U has been previously recommended to you, and I would urge you to contact him as well. There's nobody better in the Chicago area.

EcoStar Remodeling

#8 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

AllisonM wrote:Okay-

Got a quote from an Angies List "A" super service award winner.

He quoted Alside Ultramaxx triple pane.

The installer seemed to be very good.

Sites like AL have limited value. They will not tell you whether the products a company sells are the best value nor if the installations are the most advanced. They will only tell you if a contractor will walk your dog or burp your baby.

AllisonM

#9 Post by AllisonM »

That is an excellent point...I am not enjoying this process..its confusing and expensive :(

EcoStar Remodeling

#10 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

It's not that difficult, really!

Ask what brands the company recommends. Most of us like Sunrise, Okna and Softlite. That a dealer carries these brands does not necessarily mean he does a top-notch install but is is an indication that he is able to recognise a quality product. Plus these are really good brands and it means you have gotten a huge step out of the way.

After you have narrowed it down to a few dealers who carry products you like, ask for some references and call them. Ask if the references mind if you stop by and take a look at the work. It should have a professional appearance with caulking relatively smooth. I would ask the references how long ago the windows were installed and if they had a need to call the company back out for any issues and if so, were they out within a reasonable amount of time? If they all this checks out, it decision time. Think about which company you felt would do the best job and if there was an issue, whom you think would be the most responsive.

Also, please feel free to use this site and let us know what's up when you get estimates. We can usually help you sort through the BS and the truth.
Last edited by EcoStar Remodeling on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Another thing to consider when choosing a dealer is making sure the dealer knows how to install windows in a "best practices methodology" depending on what your window situation is now. For example, if you have fin style aluminum or vinyl windows now that have vinyl siding installed over the fins, then either mechanical z flashing needs to be installed over the windows and under the tyvek paper or an alternative method using window tape and fins. Many of the homes in the Chicago suburbs are this exact situation and the majority of companies I've seen just stick the replacement window in the hole and caulk the window to the J-Channel. This invites water leakage which over the years can rot out your walls and invite termites and other wood-eating insects.
There are many different installation methods depending on the type of installation that is needed. A competent window company will teach their installers all the methods for these situations. If a salesman doesn't clearly explain the installation process and what is being done to properly waterproof your home, I'd be hesitant to hire them.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

AllisonM wrote:That is an excellent point...I am not enjoying this process..its confusing and expensive :(
Don't mistake my recommendation for the old boy network...but you need to call this guy here....

Trust me.

HoustonWindowExperts

#13 Post by HoustonWindowExperts »

+1 to all of the above.

A couple more thoughts:

1. Look for a company that offers more than one brand of windows. If all they have is one or two brands, they may feel the need to make what they have fit your needs. (Never a good idea. You need to get what is best for your application).

2. Check with their supplier of windows for a reference. If the company has had more than a few problems with installation the wholesaler will be aware of it.

3. If you have done your due diligence and still feel unsure, then walk away!

4. Using a credit card for your deposit is a good idea too. If the company fails to perform as agreed you will have the benefit of some recourse leverage. If you've paid with a check or cash you are out of luck.

Lastly, let me say that I am not sure what your city is like but here in Houston, most window replacement companies you encounter are mostly marketing companies selling over-priced windows. If you think that's what you have found then kindly say "no". At the other end of the pendulum are the people who just put out a shingle and call themselves window installers. They may be landscapers or roofers who are in a slow economy and are wanting a new source of revenue. I would avoid that group also.

The guy in the middle who is selling brand name products, offers professional and courteous information and does not have "commission breath" may be your guy! If the company has been selling windows for any length of time, they should have projects within a short distance from your home that you can drive by and take a look at. If you like what you see from the outside, then ask the contractor to provide you with that person's email and phone number. Any legitimate installer will have dozens of these for you to look at.

Best of luck!

Jeff

Randy

#14 Post by Randy »

2. Check with their supplier of windows for a reference. If the company has had more than a few problems with installation the wholesaler will be aware of it.
First of all, I'd say dealing with a company that buys their windows from a "wholesaler" might be a red flag in itself. Premium grade windows aren't sold through wholesalers, they use direct dealers who have been carefully screened for credit worthiness, installation practices, financial stability, customer service, and time in business.

Secondly, since wholesalers don't warranty windows in any way, they're not likely to know if the contractor knows what they're doing with installation or not. Fact is, the wholesaler really doesn't care, they're typically only interested in selling product. This is where roofing and siding contractors typically buy their windows.

Companies that only sell through authorized dealers, on the other hand, are typically going to be far more aware of how their dealers are handling installation, warranty service, and customer service in general.
At the other end of the pendulum are the people who just put out a shingle and call themselves window installers. They may be landscapers or roofers who are in a slow economy and are wanting a new source of revenue. I would avoid that group also.
I agree with this. There has been a rash of "contractors" jumping into the window business lately who try to deceive homeowners by talking about how long they've been "in the business" rather than being straight about how long they've been IN BUSINESS. The Better Business Bureau can be helpful in establishing exactly how long a company has been in business without trusting the word of the salesperson. Statistically speaking, most companies fail within the first four years, and contractors are certainly no exception. If a company has been in business for less than five years, and they're not set up as a direct dealer for any quality brands, homeowners should be very careful.

HoustonWindowExperts

#15 Post by HoustonWindowExperts »

Randy wrote: First of all, I'd say dealing with a company that buys their windows from a "wholesaler" might be a red flag in itself. Premium grade windows aren't sold through wholesalers, they use direct dealers who have been carefully screened for credit worthiness, installation practices, financial stability, customer service, and time in business.
I would have to disagree that buying from a wholesaler would create a "red flag" any more than buying direct would create a "green light".

I happen to do both and I offer the same professional service and products to all my customers regardless of the source of the windows. I know of many industries who buy their products from a wholesaler. It's actually quite normal.

-Local car dealers purchase from regional distributors who purchase from a manufacturer.
-Restaurants buy produce from a company like Sysco Foods who buys it from companies like Tyson and Nabisco.
-Your local gas station doesn't buy direct from OPEC, they buy from a distributor who buys from a refinery.

Etc, Etc.

IMO, offer the customer the best product and service. [Direct or Wholesale]