Sound reducing windows installation in Central NJ

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
toomyw

Sound reducing windows installation in Central NJ

#1 Post by toomyw »

My wife and I recently bought a 50 year old house in Hopewell, NJ. It’s a very nice home and is very well-built. There are a couple of MAJOR noise issues that we’re dealing with that we didn’t know existed to this level when we moved in.

1) There is a set of train tracks about 150 yards from the front of the house. About 10 freight trains a day run by on the tracks. The sound of the train alone isn’t the problem. The problem is that there is an at-grade crossing about 300 yards from the house, so every time the train goes by it blows its whistle 3 times before it reaches the crossing. This can happen at any time during the day or night. Typically there is no train between Midnight and 4:30 AM.

2) There is a siren on a 40 foot pole about 300 yards in another direction that can go off at any time there is a call for the Fire Department. It’s incredibly loud and very unpredictable.

While I’m going to do a lot of wall soundproofing, I want to start with the windows which are original, 50 year old, single pane with storms. I want to replace them with windows that do a good job keeping out the sound. so I’m willing to spend a bit more. It’s the bedroom windows that I’m most interested in using these kinds of windows.

Some names that I‘ve read / researched that have a sound abatement line include: Milgard, Anderson 400 Series, Atrium, Marvin, (Any others that should be on this list?)

I’d appreciate:
1) your recommendations on the best choice considering price vs. noise reduction.
2) recommendations for people to work with in this area. It’s about ½ way between Philly and NYC in Central NJ.

While Milgard seems to be the most popular name in the research I’ve done, they don’t appear to have an East Coast presence.

I prefer vinyl overall. I’m planning to completely remove the old windows.

I’ve learned so much from reading your posts and hope that you have some good recommendations all the way around.

Thank you.

Tom

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Sound reducing windows installation in Central NJ

#2 Post by masterext »

i dont think milgard is available where you are . both Atrium and Andersen vinyl are very low quality.
okna, sunrise, Polaris Ultra Series windows, and soft lite all offer excellent quality as well as laminated glass. laminated glass does reduce noise substantially as well as offer security and tremendous UV protection.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with masterext... In fact, I believe that he serves your area. You would be well served to contact him as he offers some of the best vinyl products available, and is extremely knowledgeable. Just click the "get quote" button by his name.
I'd also add that a substantial amount of sound is transferred through airflow, so picking at tight window ( lower air infiltration number) would behoove you.
Milgard is a middle-of-the-road choice that is now only available out west.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Highmark, sunrise, or soft lite would be some excellent choices in vinyl.
Besides the noise reduction another costly item is that you mention doing this as a full tear out. That means you need new interior trim. Do you want it picture framed or more traditional with a sill? Do you want it primed only,the trim, or prefinished?
And lastly the house is 50 years old, it may have lead paint. You need to go to EPA.gov and read the renovate right printing.
You may have other code issues that a site visit will identify .

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

toomyw wrote: I’d appreciate:
1) your recommendations on the best choice considering price vs. noise reduction.
2) recommendations for people to work with in this area. It’s about ½ way between Philly and NYC in Central NJ.

While Milgard seems to be the most popular name in the research I’ve done, they don’t appear to have an East Coast presence.

I prefer vinyl overall. I’m planning to completely remove the old windows.

I’ve learned so much from reading your posts and hope that you have some good recommendations all the way around.

Thank you.

Tom
Tom,

You have gotten plenty of good feedback already but I will throw in my two cents as well.

1. A true STC window will ultimately give you better performance but they come at an appreciable price as well. Most true STC windows will have a double pane unit with and integrated storm window frame. Depending on the glass package options, you can get up to an STC 45-47 out of some of the units that I have seen and used in the past (Milgard QuietLine to be exact).

They were a fantastic upgrade for this particular customer in question and she loves...loves...loves them.

The reality is that going to a good double pane unit that is air tight, will likely give you a bump in performance and if you outfitted that unit with laminated glass, it will be a real world difference in sound and probably deliver the performance you were looking for.

Brace yourself as laminated glass is not cheap. Cheaper than a true STC window, but certainly and upgrade and premium over a standard double pane IGU.

2. You have a couple of great local poster right in your area between the guys in this thread. I have met all of these guys personally and know the quality of their work. I would recommend each of them everyday of the week without hesitation or reservation.

Best of luck with the project and keep us updated.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

toomy, I totally forgot that anthony may service your area as well. :oops: ....Two excellent choices for you.
I'd second WoW's comments as well that these are guys that I know personally, and can vouch for their character and quality.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

most laminated glass is .030 or .060 and sometimes as much a .090. by bumping up to a .060 from a .030 you will barely gain anything in STC, its simply not worth the extra money due to its low return . by increasing the thickness of the pvb, you are now losing air space which basically causes you to lose some of the stc you gained if that makes sense.
depending on the window frame and a few other variables, double pane ( extra strength glass ) will render an stc of .31. laminated glass with a .030 pvb will render an stc of .35. bumping up to .060 will render 36 .

toomyw

#8 Post by toomyw »

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I’ll definitely give the local guys a call to get quotes.

The reason I had mentioned some of these windows was based on the article I read here....
http://www.ecohomemagazine.com/windows/ ... althy.aspx

At the end of the article it mentioned several specific window brands and their STC rating range. While some of these windows may not be the most highly regarded by the board, it’s important that I have some frame of reference as to what is potentially possible to reduce some of the noise.

I see that some of the brands shown no longer seem to be in business, so it is important that I find both a STC rated window or a strategy that incorporates ways to noticeably reduce the sound entering the bedrooms through the closed windows.

While we’re on a budget for this project, we have decided to spend a bit more to help us sleep more comfortably.

Bill

#9 Post by Bill »

Simonton manufactures their own laminate glass so they are typically more reasonable for that option.
I don’t think we have any ABC Supplies up this way to purchase the Grand Estate but you can easily find the Impressions 9800 that I think is the same window or the Reflections 5500. Both windows are very good products.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

There are three Simonton dealers right over the bridge in Delaware and one of them is ABC. Delaware has no sales tax which is why my home town on the Jersey side is now a ghost town.

toomyw

#11 Post by toomyw »

Thanks to all. I've contacted Anthony and he's coming out on Saturday.

Masterext apparently does not cover my zip-code (08525) per the "Get A Quote" link, so I can't contact him through the board.

We're sure looking forward to getting rid of that train noise.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Wayne (anthony) will take excellent care of you. You will not find a finer man to do business with, that is a promise. :) ... and that is speaking from personal experience.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:Wayne (anthony) will take excellent care of you. You will not find a finer man to do business with, that is a promise. :) ... and that is speaking from personal experience.
+1

Solid guy all around and I have personally seen his crew's work. Excellent workers and craftsmen.