Marvin Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Ring

Marvin Windows

#1 Post by Ring »

We're in the Chicagoland area and received our 1st quote on replacing our windows with Marvin wood triple pane all clad casement windows.
Our windows consists of the following.

14 - 28.5
2 - 28.5 x 72
2 -20 x 72
1 - 56 x 64
1 - 56 x 64 with arch
6 - 28.5 x 16
2 - 24 x 35
1 - 12.5 x 48
1 - 56 x 48 with arch
Patio Door

Our quote is $56,500 and we are still waiting for others. Seems to take window companies quite a long time to get back an estimate, been over 2 weeks.

We were also quoted with Sunrise for $31,000 and that's vinyl interior. We're concerned with going with vinyl due to the height of our windows with cracking and warping etc.

There's also the Aeris CX900 also in tripple pane and I'm thinking that the resin may have a better strength quality.

Also, do window manufactures normally change their pricing in the month of March?

Thoughts on any of this?????

TheWindowNerd

Re: Marvin Windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There is a great pro, Windows4u, who post on here. He serves your area and would be a great asset in your project.
You are right to be concerned with the sizes in triple pane.
I would also look at InLine fiberglass, very strong structurally, and very used to TP.
My best advice is to contact Dave at windows4u.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I too recommend having Window4U take a look at your project. There's no one better in Chicago, I assure you. He has the full range of products - wood, vinyl, fiberflass, and he'll take the time to walk you through the benefits and drawbacks of each one. In windy Chicago, an airtight installation system is a must, and Dave excels in this area.

Here's a thread he's posted on. To the left, under his name is a "get a quote" button that will get you to him only.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4831&start=0
Last edited by Randy on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Wowsers...!!!

That is alot of Marvin. Don't get me wrong, the Ultimate is not a cheap window by any stretch and certainly with triple pane glass in it.

Dave (Window4U) is a great resource in Chicago and you can find him here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4808

May I inquire as to the selection process on the triple pane glass? While I agree it is a great investment and especially in the blustery Chicago, the cost for that upgrade in the Marvin might be cost prohibitive.

If they are charging more than $100-$200 per window for that upgrade, that money would be better spent on insulation and air sealing from an ROI standpoint.

Good luck and please post back with follow up questions.

Ring

#5 Post by Ring »

Thanks for all the information. Reason my husband wants to go with the tripple pane is because he's taking steps to go "off grid". The U-factor for the tripple is huge and he knows that for the SHGC there's not much of a difference. My concern is that we were told the 3 large windows were just a half inch or so bigger Marvin wouldn't do it because we could then have an issue with seals breaking. Wonder if we can still have the issues.

This is our first quote out of 3 and they seem to take a very long time. Is that normal?

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

Over two weeks to get a quote completed and delivered is excessive, in my opinion. However, Marvin windows are quite expensive and they may have just wanted to be painstakingly accurate to make sure they don't end up with an ugly surprise later.

Everyone is different, but we try to have even complicated quotes completed with 3 business days. Another possibility is that the contractor was getting the product quoted from a wholesaler and they took a little long getting the pricing to him.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ring wrote:Thanks for all the information. Reason my husband wants to go with the tripple pane is because he's taking steps to go "off grid". The U-factor for the tripple is huge and he knows that for the SHGC there's not much of a difference. My concern is that we were told the 3 large windows were just a half inch or so bigger Marvin wouldn't do it because we could then have an issue with seals breaking. Wonder if we can still have the issues.

This is our first quote out of 3 and they seem to take a very long time. Is that normal?
I would re-check those numbers based on the CPD (certified products directory) number. Triple pane will normally reduce the SGHC by a tangible amount and it sounds to me like there needs to be a bit more careful analysis of what you need performance wise out of the glass.

Higher SHGC is certainly beneficial on the south facing windows for passive solar but that only works if the home and the internals (i.e. dark, high thermal mass potential) are designed to take advantage of it.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

i would also strongly recommend contacting Dave ( windows4u ). an all around nice guy and very knowledgable about windows.
as for estimates. especially wood windows such as marvin, pricing could be a bit time consuming if special circumstances are involved. dealers sometimes have to go back and forth with the manufacturer and its not always done as expeditiously as we would like. keep in mind higher quality windows are a larger investment and no one wants to misquote anything.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 on the other comments. Custom wood windows generally take longer to quote, especially on such a large project. That said, I don't see any reason for it to take over a week to get the proposal. I wouldn't disqualify them for it, but I would take a closer look at how they do business. Make sure that the delay wasn't due to being unorganized or something like that.
I'd definitely say that you should speak to Windows4U whether you elect to go with this Marvin company or not, that way you can see some other product lines and see how reasonable the pricing is as well. He has a few windows from Okna that are vinyl and composite but have a pretty authentic wood look, as well as other vinyl (like Softlite and Sunrise) and wood choices... It probably seems like some conspiracy that we are all recommending this guy, but he is just a genuinely great guy to work with and carries the best products out there.

JacktheDog

#10 Post by JacktheDog »

Been reading this and several forums for years and finally just joined this one. I've been involved in the window industry with many products for over 35 years. Hi to everyone here :) I live in Colorado. I'm quite opinionated when it comes to windows, but am still learning as the industry changes over time and products improve or fail.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. Custom wood windows like the Marvin Ultimate are complicated to price. However according to what you said, the Marvin dealer got right back with you. IMO this is indicative of the company and job they will produce. I find it troubling that the other 2 companies are taking so long. In my experience, this could reveal a sloppy operation. Just saying be careful.

As far as triple panes, my opinion is that they add too much weight and stress for the trade-off benefits. If the windows are large operational units, this can also make them very difficult to operate and clean. It's something to think about. Nominally sized units would not have as much of an issue. I do love triple pane, but the 366 glass with argon is so good that I'm not sure triple is worth it anymore. JMHO.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

JacktheDog wrote:Been reading this and several forums for years and finally just joined this one. I've been involved in the window industry with many products for over 35 years. Hi to everyone here :) I live in Colorado. I'm quite opinionated when it comes to windows, but am still learning as the industry changes over time and products improve or fail.

I agree. Custom wood windows like the Marvin Ultimate are complicated to price. However according to what you said, the Marvin dealer got right back with you. IMO this is indicative of the company and job they will produce. I find it troubling that the other 2 companies are taking so long. In my experience, this could reveal a sloppy operation. Just saying be careful.

As far as triple panes, my opinion is that they add too much weight and stress for the trade-off benefits. If the windows are large operational units, this can also make them very difficult to operate and clean. It's something to think about. Nominally sized units would not have as much of an issue. I do love triple pane, but the 366 glass with argon is so good that I'm not sure triple is worth it anymore. JMHO.
I'd have to respectfully disagree on a couple points. You are overstating the issues with triple pane glass. Reputable manufacturers are not going to put a glass package into a frame that is not engineered to hold that weight, or that would make it very cumbersome to operate. Many have different size restrictions for triple pane for just that reason. They have warranty considerations to worry about as well. I would agree though that it can make for a heavy sash on a large DH when tilted in for cleaning. IMO, the value of a triple pane package has everything to do with the difference in performance vs cost. Sometimes it is worth it, sometimes not.
The comment on 366 glass is half true. It is great for some regions, but less than desirable for others (including the OP's location of Chicago) due to its low solar gain. That package is better suited for a climate where the majority of energy is used to cool the home, rather than heat it. Its great for summer, but detrimental when the furnace is running. There are always special circumstances, but generally I like to see a .25 SHGC or higher in a heating dominated area like Chicago.

buddy11

#12 Post by buddy11 »

HomeSealed wrote:
JacktheDog wrote:Been reading this and several forums for years and finally just joined this one. I've been involved in the window industry with many products for over 35 years. Hi to everyone here :) I live in Colorado. I'm quite opinionated when it comes to windows, but am still learning as the industry changes over time and products improve or fail.

I'd have to respectfully disagree on a couple points. You are overstating the issues with triple pane glass. Reputable manufacturers are not going to put a glass package into a frame that is not engineered to hold that weight, or that would make it very cumbersome to operate. Many have different size restrictions for triple pane for just that reason. They have warranty considerations to worry about as well. I would agree though that it can make for a heavy sash on a large DH when tilted in for cleaning. IMO, the value of a triple pane package has everything to do with the difference in performance vs cost. Sometimes it is worth it, sometimes not.
The comment on 366 glass is half true. It is great for some regions, but less than desirable for others (including the OP's location of Chicago) due to its low solar gain. That package is better suited for a climate where the majority of energy is used to cool the home, rather than heat it. Its great for summer, but detrimental when the furnace is running. There are always special circumstances, but generally I like to see a .25 SHGC or higher in a heating dominated area like Chicago.
+1.

Ring

#13 Post by Ring »

Thank you so much everyone for all of your expertise!! I just realized that the tripple pane windows we are being quoted on are the 366 glass but my husband wants a low SHGC factor since we are in Chicago and the bulk of our windows face south, so we would need LoĒ³-366 on the exterior pane and LoĒ-179 right? I've also been told by one company that Marvin will do internal grills on the tripple pane and 2 other companies say Marvin will not so this may be an issue for us. The one that said it can be done supposedly checked with Marvin and I've asked him about this on several different occasions and he still says yes but yet the very nice printed contract he wanted us to sign says inside removable grills.

JacktheDog

#14 Post by JacktheDog »

If you're still talking about the Marvin Ultimate, the muntins (grills, grids) come in several different ways.

They DO come in between the glass if they are sculpted or flat, and with different color options in and out.

They come as a simulated divided lite muntin also, on the exterior of the glass both in an out like real muntins would be.

If you are staining the interior wood, you may want wood muntins/grids. In order to stain them the same color as the interior window, this style is available as an interior removable clip/snap-in grid in actual wood. The Ultimate is the only Marvin window that offers removable interior wood grids.

Those are the facts. Companies that don't deal in Marvin, or any other window they don't deal in, will not know these kinds of details most of the time.

Personally I think grids are going the way of vertical blinds. However, if you're in a colonial area, they can look great on the right house. Unless your house is colonial, having grids, imho, is becoming outdated. But it is all personal taste, and if you love grids I'm sure you can find a configuration that works for you on the Ultimates.

Ring

#15 Post by Ring »

Thanks Jack the Dog! So just to confirm we are still talking about the Marvin Ultimate and what you are saying is that the grids are available inside their tripple pane window if sculpted or flat. Correct?