replacement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
butterfly

replacement windows

#1 Post by butterfly »

I am writing to check on the quality of Castle Energy Saver Plus Double Hung Window by soft light installed by castle windows in mt laurel,nj SLL-A-56-00001-00001 I think this window the windows are to be installed in salem county
Last edited by butterfly on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Which window?

There is a really good contractor on this board that is out of NJ by the name of masterext.

I would suggest you give him a call as I know his products and installations and they are top notch.

You can find him here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4862

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Mt Laurel might be to far south for Masterext, might be closer to DM or me.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've seen enough Castle installs to warrant that with the price that they pay their subs you're not going to get anything above a very average install. They privately label Soft-Lite's lowest series of windows with a few little extras. I'm not a fan of how they utilize a head expander on most of their installs and I feel it's extremely ugly and unnecessary on the sides. Castle used to have a sub that actually lived in Salem County (Pennsville) right down the street from me.

What exactly about their window would you like to know about?

butterfly

#5 Post by butterfly »

I thought the expander was a good idea as they seemed better than shims and I was worried after speaking to rep about the opening after the old window were removed as i have an old house (early 1900's) and the present windows were put in in the 80,s

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

The way that they utilize and expander typically decreases visible glass as they usually take very conservative ordering measurements and allow that expander to fill the void. Underneath that expander might be some loose fiberglass insulation or open cell ether foam wrapping. Proper shimming and the application of low-expansion window/door spray foam properly applied is far superior. All the Pros agree on this.

Head expanders are mostly used when there isn't an existing top interior stop or there is a measuring mistake. For what Castle charges for their Barrington you could be looking at a top shelf model from Soft-Lite (Imperial LS).

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with the above comments on installation.
If anthony services your area, you'd be well served to contact him as well.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Either anthony or masterext would be great in either case.

Anytime I hear NJ, I think of masterext by default but I do know that anthony covers that area.

Both great contractors.

JacktheDog

#9 Post by JacktheDog »

Expanders were first generation vinyl window techniques that should never be used today. They just make up for sloppy measuring and look junky and amateur. If there are irregularities in the square of an opening that are very noticeable and cannot be caulked neatly, there are better techniques than expanders which also allow for proper insulation and shimming. There is no access for insulation or expanding insulating foam with expanders.

buddy11

#10 Post by buddy11 »

JacktheDog wrote:Expanders were first generation vinyl window techniques that should never be used today. They just make up for sloppy measuring and look junky and amateur. If there are irregularities in the square of an opening that are very noticeable and cannot be caulked neatly, there are better techniques than expanders which also allow for proper insulation and shimming. There is no access for insulation or expanding insulating foam with expanders.
+1. We haven't used a head expander in a decade

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

JacktheDog wrote:Expanders were first generation vinyl window techniques that should never be used today. They just make up for sloppy measuring and look junky and amateur. If there are irregularities in the square of an opening that are very noticeable and cannot be caulked neatly, there are better techniques than expanders which also allow for proper insulation and shimming. There is no access for insulation or expanding insulating foam with expanders.
Yes and no.

There are instances in which a window is being set to an opening that is very out of square and the head jamb interface with the new window (perfectly level) will show. Some joints are too large to be caulked effectively and can be much more hidden behind a header expander.

If the window has a stop across the head jamb, the point is largely moot.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Delaware Mike also covers your area.
He would be a great choice and has several of the best performing windows available.
Fair warning he is a lot fussy.

JacktheDog

#13 Post by JacktheDog »

Windows on Washington wrote:
Yes and no.

There are instances in which a window is being set to an opening that is very out of square and the head jamb interface with the new window (perfectly level) will show. Some joints are too large to be caulked effectively and can be much more hidden behind a header expander.

Still think there are better techniques than an expander. Even just a piece of "L" angle inside and out would allow access for insulating properly.

I've seen a couple/three jobs over the years where the opening was so out of square that we actually rebuilt the opening first. That's rare, though. When I was a young buck I started out installing for Thermal Industries in Phila., and they put expanders all the way around. Coming out of a high end remodeling job working on colonial mansions in Moorestown and Haddonfield, I couldn't believe it. But that's ancient history. And there was no expansion foam back then.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

J Dog are you still in philly area?
I am always looking for old dogs who know their stuff.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

JacktheDog wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:
Yes and no.

Still think there are better techniques than an expander. Even just a piece of "L" angle inside and out would allow access for insulating properly.

I've seen a couple/three jobs over the years where the opening was so out of square that we actually rebuilt the opening first. That's rare, though. When I was a young buck I started out installing for Thermal Industries in Phila., and they put expanders all the way around. Coming out of a high end remodeling job working on colonial mansions in Moorestown and Haddonfield, I couldn't believe it. But that's ancient history. And there was no expansion foam back then.
We usually cut the front leg off them and create the same thing.

Telling the customer that they are an indication of a "junky" and amateur install is probably a bit over zealous.