Window replacement cleveland Ohio

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
pschnei3

Window replacement cleveland Ohio

#1 Post by pschnei3 »

Im currently replacing a bay window(115x60), patio door(108x80), case window(28x62), 2 db hung (36x53). I just had stanek windows for a in home visit and they quoted me for their system5 heat mirror window. The price quoted was $7960. Is this a good deal or should I look at other brands?

Randy

Re: Window replacement cleveland Ohio

#2 Post by Randy »

Did you only get the one quote? If so, I'd certainly recommend getting at least one more, if not two. Ohio is the home of Soft-lite, one of the country's highest quality manufacturers. It's always good to support companies in your own state when possible. Sunrise is another company (out of Michigan) that you might consider. Okna makes a great product as well, but I don't know if they're available in Ohio or not.

Stanek, as far as I know, enjoys a good reputation. I just think you should compare some premium vinyl windows to the quote you've received from Stanek.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

i agree with Randy regarding soft lite and sunrise. as far as stanek , i have never seen one of their windows but on paper it looks pretty solid. that said, i do not like the pocket sill design. however, every other part of the stanek seems solid so the pocket could be mitigated.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Quote sounds reasonable. Stanek is pretty good, although as masterext mentioned, the pocket sill is a killer for me. It is a bad design that most newer products have gotten away from. Softlite would be an excellent choice in your area, as would Sunrise and HiMark, although the latter may or may not be available there. A couple more quotes would be the way to go regardless just so that you can see what else is out there and know that you are getting a good window for a fair price.

pschnei3

#5 Post by pschnei3 »

Thanks for all the replies. I had someone else come out and he is putting together a quote with soft lite.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

Wow! That was fast. He must have been waiting for your call. :lol:

pschnei3

#7 Post by pschnei3 »

The soft lite dealer was my first appointment today then stanek. He still has not emailed me a quote.

crankthisout

#8 Post by crankthisout »

The Stanek pocket sill is a non issue. You cannot achieve an industry leading structural rating of a 70 on a double hung if the window had a poor water penetration rating or drainage issues. Softlite has a design pressure of 70 but the overall rating given was an LC=60 . Just look at the gold label in the brochure and on the double hung for proof.
The Stanek has had no water/mold/or anything else the competition feels they need to make up. If anything else, you are getting a superior bottom seal compared to the rest.

Also, Stanek patio door comes with a structural rating of 60 and a standard keyed 3-point lock. Most come with a 2-point standard.
The bay has a solid oak 3/4" seat if quoted. Be sure to compare, most are veneer.
The casements are reinforced through the entire frame and sash rails with composits for exceptional strength. Most are hallow or foam filled.
Stanek has a Manufacturers lifetime warranty on Labor and installation, be sure to compare that as well. Most manufacturers don't cover these issues.
Last edited by crankthisout on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

thats simply not true. there are 5 high quality companies i can think of that have welded sills that dont drainnthrough the frame. i also know of 2 window companies that achieve a structural rating of 70 with a welded slope sill. soft lite elements for one.
the real reason companies use pocket sills is due to it being a cheap way of getting a high structural number. in reality, you are making a big trade off.
the other reason is the fact that a pocket sill is much cheaper for a manufacturer than a welded slop. a pocket uses the same 4 extrusions and just " snaps in " the pocket sill. a welded sill requires special tooling as well as a learning curve.
Stanek seems like a good window but they clearly dropped the ball with the pocket sill.
Last edited by masterext on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

All vinyl windows weep water through the frames. That is why there are weepholes on all vinyl windows.
Wrong. Sunrise, Soft-lite and Okna all have true sloped sills without weep holes on their double hungs. Water does not run through them.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

crankthisout wrote:The Stanek pocket sill is a non issue. You cannot achieve an industry leading structural rating of a 70 on a double hung if the window had a poor water penetration rating or drainage issues. Softlite has a design pressure of 70 but the overall rating given was an LC=60 . Just look at the gold label in the brochure and on the double hung for proof.
The Stanek has had no water/mold/or anything else the competition feels they need to make up. If anything else, you are getting a superior bottom seal compared to the rest.

Not true in the least. While The Stanek window is well built and has impressive structural test data (I would like to see the report), a sloped sill (from a maintenance standpoint) is always preferred if there is not trade off in suitable performance.

Also, Stanek patio door comes with a structural rating of 60 and a standard keyed 3-point lock. Most come with a 2-point standard.

I can think of a couple of patio doors with DP 60 ratings and 4 point lock mechanisms and extremely low air infiltration ratings.

The bay has a solid oak 3/4" seat if quoted. Be sure to compare, most are veneer.
The casements are reinforced through the entire frame and sash rails with composits for exceptional strength. Most are hallow or foam filled.
Stanek has a Manufacturers lifetime warranty on Labor and installation, be sure to compare that as well. Most manufacturers don't cover these issues.
+1 to the other comments regarding the sloped vs pocket sill.

If you have seen pocket sill windows after a few years, you will understand the rationale to their observation formed judgements. They do collect dirt and debris and are a design drawback in my opinion.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Nice catch Randy. You quoted that one before he edited it out. :lol:

Like I said before, I think that the Stanek window is actually pretty nice, I just would not say it is a world beater, due in large part to the sill, which 9 out of 10 informed professionals would agree is undesirable. Pocket sills are less costly and offer better performance (in many cases), so wouldn't everyone use them if they did not have an inherent and fatal flaw? If consumers would like an illustration of why a pocket sill is a bad idea, they can simply look in their existing window. See that space between the sash and the storm window with all of the dead bugs, dirt, debris, etc? A window with a pocket sill will run that junk through the frame of the window with no way of cleaning it. It is pretty obvious as to how that can and does pose problems.
On the other issues, there are many companies that offer lifetime warranties, reinforcement, etc.

masterext

#13 Post by masterext »

soft lite Elements has an air leakage rate of .01 on double hung. does Stanek have that number on a double hung?
as i said, Stanek looks like a nice window but lets be real, the pocket sill is
an inherently flawed design and used by most low end companies due to its low cost and easy manufacturing. i am actually quite shocked after all the nice features on Stanek, they would opt for a pocket sill. im sure they are well aware of that design flaw.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I find it so disgusting when I see 10 year old pocket sills growing slime and mold, and that is on the outside where I can veiw it.
bad, Bad, BAD design.

pschnei3

#15 Post by pschnei3 »

Does anybody know of a good softlite installer in the Cleveland area?