how long does the argon last in a window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kebosoft

how long does the argon last in a window

#1 Post by kebosoft »

All things being equal and assuming no leakage, how long can i reasonably expect the argon in a window to last before it breaks down/disapates in a good, high-end window? how about Kypton?

I ask because a) the RBA sales dude was touting that they warrant their argon + gas X mix for 10 or 20 years (i forget) and b) seems silly to spend the extra money if it breaks down in just a few years.

I'm in the "starting to finall grok all the terms phase" of buying replacement windows and improved long term energy effeciency is one of my concerns/goals for the replacements. Currently i have an entire wall 1982 era anderson north facing fixed pane windows in the Lancaster, PA area that seem to just leak heat in the winter.

Thanks,
Mark

Windows on Washington

Re: how long does the argon last in a window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most good windows use a secondary PIB rubber seal and are built to European gas leakage specifications of 1% or less per annum.

I have personally inspected units that are 5-10 years old that have had +95% of the gas fill in them.

The gas does not break down in any capacity but tries to get past the spacer. The law of partial pressures is always driving that gas to areas of lower concentration.

RBA may warranty their glass for 20 years (against seal failure), but they only give you 10 year frame warranty.

Being out of PA, you have a cornucopia of fantastic windows to choose from.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As you know there are great vinyl windows available, there are ok vinyl available and then there is cr_ppy ones.
The premium units will last as long as anything else.
Fiberglass is also a great consideration.
what is your zip code?
thewindownerd.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

How were the windows tested for argon leakage? Who did the testing?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

argon is argon and does not dissipate. it all comes down to the spacer system, the quality of the sealant being used, the number of sealants, and finally quality control .
most lower end window companies use cheaper sealants and are more concerned with pumping out as many windows as possible opposed to stringent quality control initiatives.