Nudge me in the right direction

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Ceasefire

Nudge me in the right direction

#1 Post by Ceasefire »

Good afternoon everyone,

New to the boards here. My wife and I are beginning the process of shopping for replacement windows. At this time, we're only looking to replace 6 windows in the house (i.e. worst 6 due to wood rotting through, major leaks to the outside, etc.). The current windows are wood and were installed when the house was built in '98.

I'm looking to upgrade to high quality double hung vinyl windows and was hoping to have the collective opinions of the board here to help nudge me in the right direction. I saw a post with some beginner questions listed so I figured I'd give a crack at these (see below):

* What are your existing windows like right now (wood, metal, vinyl, etc)?
Answer: Wood

* What are your aesthetic requirements? Do you want a wood looking window?
Answer: Not interested in needing the "wood looking window" .. just a clean, high quality finish

* What are you goals for the replacement windows (energy efficiency, functionality, looks, draftiness reduction, etc)?
Answer: Energy efficiency, cleaning access, quality construction and reliability

* Where is the home located?
Answer: Raleigh, North Carolina - The exterior is all hardiplank; no brick or vinyl siding

I honestly don't know the pro's & con's between going Low-e vs argon, double glazed vs triple glazed, and I don't know if there's any metal framing within the window.

I've done some preliminary research on the Polaris UltraWeld but that's literally it. Any other manufacturer's I should concentrate on? I'm not prepared to drop $1100+ for Renewal by Anderson windows but I have to believe that you can still get a high quality window for half that price. Or can you?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Randy

Re: Nudge me in the right direction

#2 Post by Randy »

Excellent background info. Soft-lite should be available in your are, and they are a top-tier vinyl window manufacturer. Specifically, their Elements or Imperial LS lines are great performers.

HiMark is also and exceptional window, but I don't think you'll find them in NC. Sunrise would be another premium vinyl option.

I have no experience with Polaris, however, there are a couple of regular pros here who think highly of them.

If you intend to remain in the house long-term, and it sounds like you do, triple pane is worth considering, depending upon the price difference.

Ceasefire

#3 Post by Ceasefire »

Thanks for the quick response Randy. I'm looking into the SoftLite and Sunrise manufacturers. Appreciate the help!

Any additional input is always welcome!

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

InLine fiberglass may be something for you to look into. The premium vinyl windows that have been mentioned are great, if you want to step up a level then InLine would be it.
Have you thought about method of replacement? By that I mean full tear/full frame replacement compared to insert replacement. Most products and mfg can be used either way.

Ceasefire

#5 Post by Ceasefire »

Would you guys say that Alside has an offering that is like-for-like with anything Sunrise or Soft-Lite offer? I'm thinking I'd like to get at least 3 quotes before settling and I heard a work colleague recommend Alside as that's what's in his house. Thought I'd get your experienced opinions before venturing down that road or not.

I'm guessing a full tear out replacement will be what I'm shooting for and while I heard fiberglass is top-notch, I'm assuming it comes at a top notch price too... am I right? at this point, I was hoping to keep the per window price at $600 or less if possible ... does that put me out of the ballgame? I guess I'll be in for my awakenings after I meet with the first vendor.

Thanks again for your continued help and responses.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

Alside really isn't in the same league as Soft-lite, Sunrise, HiMark. Alside's top end windows are extremely bulky and have poor sill designs. Alside's lower lines have flimsy frames. All of their windows
are leakier than I like to see in a window.

Your budget is too low for fiberglass, and depending on the options you want, might be too low for premium vinyl as well. If you're going with a mid-range vinyl window, Simonton or Gorell would be much better options than Alside.

Ceasefire

#7 Post by Ceasefire »

Thanks again for your input Randy. Of course, no one can plan for what life throws your way .. but at the moment, we're planning on living in this house for at least the next 5-10 years ... that said, a mid-to-high range vinyl window is just what I'm looking for. I'll look into Simonton and Gorell as well. Thanks again!

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I typically charge $200 more to do a full frame replacement as compared to an insert application. That includes primed only interior casing with standard sills.
So if your insert pricing is $550-650, full frame would be $750-850.
This is all hypothetical, so please do not try to tie someone up with this.
Just my perspective in my market.