Silver Line Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jonchaley

Silver Line Windows

#1 Post by jonchaley »

Does anyone have an opinion on this company? The contractor I just had out would like to use them because they've been in business a long time, they have good logistics for our area, and they have a lifetime warranty.

Frankly, warranties don't impress me. the best one is the one you don't have to use becasue the quality is built in.

I'd just like to hear any stories, good or bad, about the quality of this product. Thanks.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Silverline is pretty much the bottom of the barrel. I have heard more complaints about their products than any other. At $100 dealer cost per double hung, don't expect much more return than that from the product.

jonchaley

#3 Post by jonchaley »

Whoa, FenEx, tell me what you really think! Quit holding back like that.

Seriously, thanks for the feedback. This is why I love this sight...the real story, not the hype. OK, the other windows he mentioned he might use were Simonton. Any opinions on that?

I'm looking for hurricane rated laminated insulated units.

We have Pella here that is locally popular, as well as Hurd, but this guy didn't mention them. I'd like feedback on any experiences with those three (Pella, Hurd, Siminton).

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

The Simonton products would be a better investment than the SilverLine. Better construction and better performance. The Reflections 5500 is a good mid-range choice and if you wish to get into the high-performance market take a look at the Impressions 9800. I used to work with Hurd products about 15 years ago but can't give you an up-to-date view on their current products. Pella's higher end lines (Designer & Architectural Series) have some great aesthetic offerings but can get very pricey.

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

I feel the same way about Siverline, when people ask me about them I tell them the Home Depot story. When Depot started their SFI program they started installing the same American Craftsman window (made by Silverline) they sell in the store. They soon found out first hand the quality of the window they had been selling for years in the store; they switched to Simonton for their installed program.

If you are looking for a hurricane product the two Simonton models Fen Ex mentioned are not hurricane rated. The thickness of the laminate glass offered in both those windows will not meet the Dade County Code. Simonton has a window called Storm Breaker that was designed to meet the code with the heaver laminated glass, reinforced frame and tilt latches. It’s built like a tank

Good Luck
Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.

jonchaley

#6 Post by jonchaley »

Hmmm....built like a tank. I like that.

Based on Fenex and Bill's responses, I'll stay away from Silver Line but take a hard look at Simonton and high end Pella.

Meeting Dade county protocols IS important to me. I'll research the hurricane rated windows for both companies.

A curiosity question: should I stay away from a contractor that would recommend so poor a window as the Silver Line? When he came out, I did not establish a price point, or discuss $ in any way, other than to tell him that to me, price was a very distant secondary or tertiary consideration behind quality and design. SO he wasn't steering me toward Silver Line because I was trying to get a low ball price/product.

jmcfly

Re: Silver Line Windows

#7 Post by jmcfly »

12 year update on the Silverline 8500 series. We built a new house in 2000 and asked the local window distributer for the windows he would use in his house. He stated that the Silverline windows were the best on the market and came with a lifetime warranty. So, we placed the order for 28 new windows. These were ordered with all of the bells and whistles. Double hung, Low-E, Argon filled, and internal grates. When the windows shipped they were nothing more than replacement windows with nailing fins attached to the frame.
After the first 5 years most of the sashes were replaced for one reason or another. The biggest issue was they used a rubber seal between the panes of glass to keep the argon gas in failed under fluctuating hot and cold weather as we get here in New Jersey. When this seal fails the argon escapes and the glass quickly becomes visually streaky because the Low-E film sticks to the glass. The second issue is the plastic clips that keep the windows in the track have become brittle and have been breaking.
By year 10 the majority of the sashes have failed and have been replaced under warranty. The main problem is that they will not replace the upper and lower sashes in pairs. They will only replace the unit that failed. When the new sash’s were delivered they never matches the original sash. Now we have issues with air gaps and upper sashes that don’t stay up when the windows are opened. Now every time we open a window the upper sash creeps down and the bugs are free to enter the house freely. Lower screen only, no full length screens were available for these windows. I’ve resorted to using white vinyl tape to keep the upper sash in place and keeping the air out.
I called customer service regarding this situation and I was told that since Anderson bought Silverline they had no ability to accurately match up the sash dimensions exactly. I requested that they replace the sashes in pairs and they said this is not covered in the warranty. At year 12, I give up! I’m looking to replace all of the windows in the house (again). I guess the “lifetime” warranty really isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. I’d crumple it up and throw it out the window, but I can’t open the windows anymore! (Or see out of them either!!!)

HomeSealed

Re: Silver Line Windows

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

JMC, that is pretty much par for the course for low-cost "builder grade" windows. The warranty doesn't really matter if it is on an inferior product.