Vytex Potomac

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
precize

Vytex Potomac

#1 Post by precize »

I've seen a lot of posts recommending Soft-Lite over Vytex, but I'm having a hard time understanding why.

The specs on the base Vytex Potomac seem to trump the base Soft-Lite Imperial LS, and a local installer (very highly-rated on Angie's List) carries only Vytex, and is matching the best quote I've gotten on the Imperials.

Are there durability issues I should know about? Seal issues? The fit and finish on the sample Potomac was better than the sample Imperial (the Imperial had messier corner welds, and the latch handles seemed flimsier).

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Vytex Potomac

#2 Post by masterext »

The vytex ( Potomac ) is pretty darn solid and good looking. is it as good as the imperial ls ? Yes it is. Most pro's agree Vytex "potomac" is rated as one of the top must have windows. Their Fortis series is nice as well.
Last edited by masterext on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Precize, most of the recommendations that you'll see here are simply based on our personal experience. The are a handful of choices that are more common and pretty much universally recognized as excellent, however there are certainly other good choices out there.
Do you know the AI rating on that product? Often times consumers get stuck on the thermal performance numbers (u-value, etc) and don't even realize that there are structural performance ratings (AI, DP) that are significant as well. I'd agree with masterext that based on their website info, it looks like a solid choice. If it beats the Imperial LS's AI of .02, then it is certainly a worthy choice. Even if it is a little bit higher, it is probably worth consideration.
+1 on checking out HiMark as well.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am amazed at the depth and feel of Homesealed post.
Leaves me with nuttin to say.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

precize wrote:I've seen a lot of posts recommending Soft-Lite over Vytex, but I'm having a hard time understanding why.

The specs on the base Vytex Potomac seem to trump the base Soft-Lite Imperial LS, and a local installer (very highly-rated on Angie's List) carries only Vytex, and is matching the best quote I've gotten on the Imperials.

Are there durability issues I should know about? Seal issues? The fit and finish on the sample Potomac was better than the sample Imperial (the Imperial had messier corner welds, and the latch handles seemed flimsier).
+1 to HomeSealed's post as well.

I would a couple more items for consideration as well.

- the salesperson's demo window can often be unrepresentative sample of the deliverable product in both directions. What I mean by that is that the sample could be dinged and abused after a year of going in and out of the trunk of the salespersons car and getting more use/abuse than the window might get in a lifetime in an installed capacity.

- the demo window can also be an overly prepped and perfected sample. This will also not be representative of what you will get in an installed capacity. This might be analogous to the car manufacturer sending a hand built car to Car and Driver to testing while the mass produced items would not even scratch the surface of the quality of the "demo" car.

Having evaluated so many different window, the companies that really impress are the ones that deliver what they show in the samples day in and day out.

The Potomac is their flagship window, however, I think the model just below that from them is the better product.

The Imperial LS is a superior performer and has nicer components in it but the Potomac is a solid window at the end of the day.

precize

#6 Post by precize »

Thanks for all the feedback. We went with the Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows, with this quote:

16 double-hung windows
4 double-hung windows with laminated glass (for sound reduction)
1 double-slider window
All windows were quoted with super-spacers, solarban 70xl glass, and contoured grids.
$10,200
Last edited by precize on Wed May 30, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great job.

That is a really good price and great window.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.. Great choice, very fair price. :D

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Good choice.
Please come back and let us know how you like them after installation.