Any one heard of Cradco windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Guy

#16 Post by Guy »

Menards has carried a line of Caradco standard sized DH, SL & CO windows for as long as I can remember here in MN. I can honestly say they have come a long way since Jeldwen has taken over. I can tell you first hand we replace more of the older Caradco windows than any other window on the market today. They must have sold a billion of them here in the Twin Cities. Wood rot is the most common factor in replacement. Even windows only a couple years old. This is mainly caused by units sitting in the rain or humid weather before being sealed. The contractors always leave them out in the elements. So that nice sponge sucks up the water very well. Then it is sealed over before drying out. It's now junk just waiting to expire. Best thing to do with any wood window is stain and seal it as soon as it comes out of the bag!!!! Good Luck!!

earwax

#17 Post by earwax »

I was just posting some thoughts on the new Jeld-Wen wood treatment. Guy is right about the wood, it must be taken care of right away. I wonder if Jeld-Wen covers it for 20 years or is there an exclusion in the warranty for this type of neglect? HMMMMM, I will have to ask a rep.

Giabella

Re: Any one heard of Cradco windows?

#18 Post by Giabella »

My Cradco windows are 28 years old. The 2 big picture window lost their seals about 8 years in. About 1/3 of the windows lost their seal over the years. There is an ugly external spring used for the counter weight. I have to soap the groves so they slide eaiser. Mind you I'm sure they are better by now however I was never impressed. They are basic builders windows.

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I love Caradco. My nick name for them is crapco.
I too get a ton of business replacing these sub standard units.
Why would anyone buy such an under performing company and the bad PR.
They must think like Pella that no one will remember.

Skydawggy.

#20 Post by Skydawggy. »

anthony wrote:I love Caradco. My nick name for them is crapco.
I too get a ton of business replacing these sub standard units.
Why would anyone buy such an under performing company and the bad PR.
They must think like Pella that no one will remember.

Well, see it's that low price/willing to risk it thing. :lol: