Uneasy feeling about recent insall of slider windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
BRUUUUCE

Uneasy feeling about recent insall of slider windows

#1 Post by BRUUUUCE »

i've just has vinyl replacement slider windows installed. i admit, i don't know much about install. what i do know i learned online. but i have some questions i was hoping people could address. i have the installer coming back tonight:

1 First, on two windows, i insist they are too big and measured wrong. they had to cut a "hole" into the sill for the window to sit in. none of the other windows required this. now, the windows look dumb because there is not an equidistant amount of "pane"" going around the window. the installer says there is nothing that could be done to avoid this.

2. the windows are sliders. on almost all the windows, the widnow on the left --- the pane that goes across is not level where it touches the pane of glass. it dips up in the corner that's in the center of the window. is this normal? almost every widnow has this

3.how can i tell if a window is too small and they tried to make it fit. the one slider in the kitchen has like another piece of vinyl on the one side that i do not think is part of the window. that piece is not on the other side.

4. the molding job to finish off the windows in the insideis horrible. what degree of quality should i expect from a professional? first almost all the corners have big gaps which they tried to fill with caulk and there is caulk everywhere. on top of that, thye used silicone and not latex, so i can't paint them

5. after they were installed -- and after i was told three times that the window will qualify for he tax credit -- i find out from the manufacturer, that they will not. the one rating passes, but the other is .38. what recourse do i have?

thanks for any suggestions. all of this is giving me quite a case of anxiety. some times i think i'g going to have a heart attack over all this

Windows on Washington

Re: Uneasy feeling about recent insall of slider windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

First off, take a deep breath. Calm and collected approach is your friend here. I can tell by your typing that you are all worked up.

Back to your experience. It sounds like it was a pretty miserable install but there can sometimes be a disconnect between proper and what the customer perceives. Do you have another installer or contractor that you were talking with before or that comes recommended?

I think you need to have someone that knows good work look at the project and give you honest and directed feedback. Hopefully you have not paid the balance and will have an opportunity to negotiate with your installer to the successful completion of this project.

Post up some pictures if you can.