Looking to buy Soft Lite - Questions

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Crazy396

Looking to buy Soft Lite - Questions

#1 Post by Crazy396 »

I recently got a quote to have 7 Soft Lite, classic double hung windows installed in my house. Now being that I live in NW PA and we see a pretty strong winter here I have some questions as far as double pane or triple pane goes.

My quote for 7 imperial classic dh windows, dual pane with intercept spacer is just kissing the 3k mark.

The quote for the same windows but with super spacer is about 80 bucks more total.

The quote with triple pane argon with intercept spacer is about 400 bucks over the first estimate.

While I feel my contractor has given me a very good price on these windows with installation, should I pop the extra 400 bucks for the triple pane considering where I live?

Thanks in advance for your input.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Looking to buy Soft Lite - Questions

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you have the money go for it.

Crazy396

#3 Post by Crazy396 »

I guess I should re phrase that. Having or not having the money is not my issue, its the return on the investment I am concerned with.

Is the extra 400 bucks spent on going from double to triple going to net me a noticable difference in energy savings and or sweating/temperature feel at the windows.

Currently the older aluminum framed windows in my house are absolutely garbage. They sweat and even frost up like mad in the winter plus they leak air so bad that you cant really sit on the sofa next to them without a blanket.

I do not mind spending the extra money if there is an actual real world difference between the two.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

$60 is a pretty reasonable upgrade for triple pane.

Here are the likely facts about your installation:
- your new windows should not sweat and certainly will not do so anywhere near what you had before
- triple pane will be more efficient and have a higher CR (Condensation Resistance) rating and therefore less likely to sweat than double pane.
- triple pane is a great investment and raises the entire average R-Value of the wall assembly and should be used in every situation possible where the client is not concerned with a slightly darker glass package or negating some passive solar heat gain
- while you are getting quotes, ask your installer if he can quote the Imperial LS. The tighter LS will probably be a good investment upgrade as well as a result of the more substantial construction and lower air infiltration numbers.
- If you went from a window at a U-Factor of 0.30 down to a window with a U-Factor of 0.22, it would raise the R-Value of that entire wall assembly by roughly one point from and R-7 to about R-8.

The window is only as good as the installation so make sure that they spray foam and seal up that entire window assembly very nice regardless of product.

If you have not looked into air sealing and insulation, I suggest you do that as well.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

first off, that is a crazy low price for that window.. on triple, yes, go for it.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I would ask to price out sash reinforcment also. This would increase the air infiltration rating from 0.11 to .07 and also help prevent any sagging issues. You'd probally be better off ugrading to the Pro series since it has super spacer, reinforcement,double strength glass,foam filled frame and sash. This window is typicallly cheaper by the time you upgrade only a few things on the Classic.

The LS is limited to selct dealers and my guess is you installer can't get them. From prices I have seen the LS is not worth the upgrade

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

1) I'd agree, at that price TP is a good choice.
2) I agree with WoW and in part with Todd. The LS or Elements would be your ideal choice in the Softlite line, and pricing will vary by dealer so you would just have to get a quote. 2b), if you don't move up to the LS or Elements, I'd strongly recommend the Pro over the Classic.

Crazy396

#8 Post by Crazy396 »

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I will talk to my installer about upgrade options.