Confused about Replacement Windows in Raleigh, NC area

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ykcpeggy

Confused about Replacement Windows in Raleigh, NC area

#1 Post by ykcpeggy »

I am in the beginning process of replacing windows on a 17 year old, 2 story, traditional house. I am totally confused at this point as to how to decide on what kind of window! I want the obvious...good quality, energy efficient, fair price, etc. Advice? Thank you!!

Randy

Re: Confused about Replacement Windows in Raleigh, NC area

#2 Post by Randy »

The first thing I would do is look for dealers of the following brands: Okna/Hi-Mark, Soft-lite, Sunrise and schedule a couple of quotes. Then I'd ask around - neighbors, co-workers, friends, etc... to see if any of them can whole-heartedly recommend anyone.

Get three or four quotes and take notes. Pay particular attention to the details of the installation. How many different crews is the company running? How long have the installers been with the company? Do they utilize minimal expanding foam around the window, or do they simply caulk the window? If the company is going to wrap the exterior wood with aluminum, look at some samples of their work.

When you've got all of that, sit down and compare the performance ratings of each window, the installation details, and don't discount your gut feelings. Come back here and we'll do our best to help guide you to the best decision for you, your home, and your budget.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

We should make that post a sticky at the top of all the threads.

Great summary Randy. :D

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Agreed on both counts! :D

ykcpeggy

#5 Post by ykcpeggy »

Thank you for the excellent advice. We are having some other work done as well...replacing some rotting wood, fixing leaky skylights, painting, etc. Should we go with someone who only does windows or is it ok to use the contactor that will be doing the other work as long as we choose good quality windows?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

That one is a little bit tricky... I would say that you should be in very good hands dealing with a company that specializes in "exterior remodeling", ie: windows, doors, siding, roofing, etc., but whether or not carpentry and/or painting would be included may be hit or miss. It is really going to depend on the individual company.

ykcpeggy

#7 Post by ykcpeggy »

Thanks!