New Milgard Retrofit Windows - Gap between sash and frame

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ownerlex

New Milgard Retrofit Windows - Gap between sash and frame

#1 Post by ownerlex »

Hello,

We recently got many old wood windows replaced in our house with Milgard Ultra Fiberglass retrofit double-hung windows. On many of these windows I notice there is a small gap between the sash (specifically the padding strip attached to the side of the sash) and the fixed frame. The gap is about 1/16 " when the window is closed and usually widens when the window is open. I can see light through the gap and also feel the outside air blow in.

Also the sashes seem to have a lot of 'play' if I push them around. I can push the sash to one side to close the gap but then the gap is bigger on the other side. Needless to say, I am quite disappointed with this and not sure if it is a problem with the windows or the installation.

Can anyone advise on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: New Milgard Retrofit Windows - Gap between sash and frame

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Call Milgard and your installer.

Is the window set square/plumb? Are the jamb jacks set properly?

I had a similar issue with the same window and never collected on the project. Windows were set perfectly and I never collected on the project.

Needless to say, I stopped using the window.

I hope you are not in the same boat.

ownerlex

#3 Post by ownerlex »

Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked square/plumb yet and I'm not sure what the jamb jacks are. Sounds like it's something that pushes the jambs away from the walls? I can look through the gaps between the window and the old trim from the outside of the house (it hasn't been patched with new trim yet) and I don't see any kind of jacks at all. Seems like the window is just held into place by screws. I hope that is not the issue :/ These are 30" x 50" windows.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Jamb jacks are essentially adjustable shims that are built into the window at the sash meeting rail. You can adjust them without having to remove all of your trim etc, as the is typically a flat-head screw driver slot inside the side jamb to adjust it. This would push the side jamb in, and hopefully close that gap. That may or may not be the final fix however, as a window that was poorly manufactured or installed out of square will still have issues, and pushing those side jambs in will just "hour-glass" the frame.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Jamb jacks are band-aids at the end of the day. If the window wasn't set right or built right, it is like plugging a hole with bubble gum.

Post up some pictures if you can.

ownerlex

#6 Post by ownerlex »

First let me say this forum is very useful and thanks for all the informative replies.

Since the installer isn't completely done with the windows (the outside trim isn't done), I'm going to wait and let him finish and then decide if there's a problem. I pointed out the gaps to him and he said he will call the Milgard guys over.

It's good to know that jamb jacks may be able to push the jambs in to close the gaps (even if it's a bandaid, at least it will close the air infiltration). I thought that once the windows are screwed in place, there's nothing that can be done to fix the gaps.

I also wonder if screwing in the windows too tight could have bowed the windows outwards and created the gaps.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Over driving the screws, especially without shim, will create that issue.

Make sure your installer hung them right as you can still twist the frame pretty easily in fiberglass despite its touted strength.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

sounds like to me that you need a objective third party to evaluate the facts.
what state and city are you in?

ownerlex

#9 Post by ownerlex »

Redwood City, CA.

I'll wait and see what Milgard has to say. Looking closely at the windows it does seem the screwed in the center of the side sashes may have been over driven. Also the inside trim has been caulked to the window frame itself so I'm not sure if the jamb jacks will work anymore. I'll keep you guys updated on the final outcome.