Windows in EIFS home

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
vmurphy69

Windows in EIFS home

#1 Post by vmurphy69 »

I need to replace a few 15-year-old builder-grade vinyl windows and sliding door in an EIFS home, as part of a larger EIFS repair project. We're installing drainage in the locations of the new windows, and the window/door openings will be wrapped with a membrane. What type and brand of window would you recommend for an EIFS home with drainage below? (Need full-frame replacement, not inserts.)

I hesitate to go with wood, because I worry that if there are future problems (and with EIFS, I'm guessing there will be), the moisture will rot the wood. I'm also afraid of any clad-wood product for the same reason.

I have been looking for a good-quality vinyl or fiberglass product. Nothing fancy -- white on white with white hardware, no grills. I would consider upgraded glass for energy-efficiency.

I looked at Sunrise but was told that I can't get casements in full-frame replacements. Also looked at Andersen 100 but was told I can't get triple-casements where all 3 open in the 100 series. I've also looked at Marvin Integrity, Pella 350 & Impervia.

I am totally open to other brands -- I have never replaced windows or doors, so really I have no idea what is good or bad. I have read enough bad reviews of Pella customer service to be wary of them, although I love the look of the 350 casements and sliding door. Anyone have anything good to say about 350, or should I avoid all Pella?

Any suggestions you might have on what to look for, what to avoid -- especially in terms of EIFS -- would be greatly appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows in EIFS home

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think you are on the right track.

Where is the home located as vinyl choices are somewhat regional?

Most vinyl windows can be equip with nailing flanges or come with integral units. I agree that full tear out with new construction flanges (after you cut back the EIFS) is proper. Flash the sills, jambs, and head. Stuff the unit back in the opening with a drip cap over the trim and you are done and done.

Beyond the good vinyls, fiberglass would be my next recommendation.

I prefer the InLine fiberglass in this case but the Marvin Integrity is a decent option.

Most of the retrofits can be equip with a flange and you can build out your interior with the proper jamb extensions and trim after the fact without problems.

vmurphy69

#3 Post by vmurphy69 »

Thank you for your reply. I will look into InLine fiberglass. The house is located in the Chicago suburbs. I'm having a hard time finding a company to sell me the windows without installation. My EIFS repair company will be doing the install. If anyone knows of a dealer in the Chicago area who would sell me the windows without installation, and without inflated pricing, I would welcome any recommendations.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are a couple of dealers on here that are in the Chicago area. Try Window4U or HomeSealed.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or click on my name and I will let the administrators know that I can assit you.

vmurphy69

#5 Post by vmurphy69 »

Thanks very much, I appreciate your offer. How do I contact you? Not sure what PM means?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Feel free to click on my name and if you put in your address as Chicago, it will get bounced out. Put down and address in the DC area and it will push through to me.