Difference between Milgard & JeldWen

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ecmccall

Difference between Milgard & JeldWen

#1 Post by ecmccall »

I am looking to replace windows in my condo in Mammoth Lakes, Ca. During the winter it gets extremely cold so one of the most important things I am looking for is energy efficiency. Which brand is better...Jeld Wen or Milgard. And are their any added features that will make them more energy efficient?

Windows on Washington

Re: Difference between Milgard & JeldWen

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a very broad question.

Each manufacturer has several models, materials, glass option, etc.

That question might be analogous to asking which car, Toyota or Honda, gets better gas mileage.

Please supply any additional details that you can (model, options, operator types, budget, aesthetic requirements, etc) that you can and I am sure you will get more directed feedback.

Thanks.

ecmccall

#3 Post by ecmccall »

The brand I'm being quoted for Milgard is Styleline for the windows and Tuscany for the slider. The brand for Jeld Wen is premium. They will be retrofit windows in a second home in an area that gets a significant amount of snow in the winter as well as a lot of wind. My main concern is which brand will hold up the longest and provide the least cold through in the winter. Im not as concerned with price or looks.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you are not concerned with price or looks, might I suggest that you look at a couple of other windows?

I am not certain as to their availability out there but Soft-Lite, Sunrise, and Gorell are all more well regarded than Milgard and Jeld-Wen's offerings.

Tighter air numbers and better thermal numbers are superior in those other windows.

ecmccall

#5 Post by ecmccall »

The only options are Jeldwen, Milgard and IWC. Its a small town and not a lot of options...
Any preference for these 3?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Milgard is solid in my experience. You may be able to find a regionally available product that is better, but Milgard and Simonton are two of the bigger names that are decent out your way.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Of those three, the Milgard would be my choice and triple pane would likely be a worthwhile investment.