Help with new window quote please. Thanks

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MrX

Help with new window quote please. Thanks

#1 Post by MrX »

Hi

I have one patio door (6ft wide, with central hinge) with transom on top, with 6 fixed picture windows (?french windows) with transoms on top to be replaced. I have looked at different windows and am fairly confused. I live in the Midwest. I have found Milgard essence and Marvin integrity windows to be better than the rest, though I could be wrong.
Questions;
Which brand is the way to go??
What should I be paying for the total cost? I have Marvin costing around $16,000 and Milgard as around $14000.
What is the 'typical' cost of window replacement?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Help with new window quote please. Thanks

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

A picture would help here along with some more details of the installation.

Are they specifying full tear outs, what component of the total project is the door replacement, what type of option in the window/glass?

MrX

#3 Post by MrX »

Hi
Yes, it is a full teardown with replacement of windows with fins. The windows are about 6 ft tall and 2 feet wide, the transoms are 1.5 feet tall and 2 feet wide. The glass is low E. The patio door option costs $3000 for either brand of windows.

Thanks for your response and let me know if you have any other questions.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

So the price quoted above are for the windows only?

Any colors or grids?

If the $16K and $13K are for the 12 windows only (6 picture windows and 6 transoms) that is a bit on the steep side.

MrX

#5 Post by MrX »

Hi

No additions. The windows are picture windows and there is no opening or closing. Except for the 6 feet wide patio door which is a door with a central hinge and a non moving picture window on the other side, with a horizontal transom on top.
So, 6 picture windows and 6 transoms, with one patio door with vertical window (picture window) with a horizontal transom on top. The total 'holes' are; 6 windows, 6 transoms and 3 patio door+window+transom = 15 holes.

There is no color or grids. I have blinds on existing windows which will cover the windows.

Thanks

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the doors are in that price than that is a smokingly great deal.

MrX

#7 Post by MrX »

Any suggestions or recommendations on the brand?

I am looking at Milgard essence and marvin integrity windows and their corresponding patio doors.

Thanks

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Where in the midwest are you located and how current is that Milgard quote? I only ask because they are no longer available out east and in most of the midwest.
On product, it is fine, although I'd prefer the Marvin which is quite nice. You could look into some of the premium vinyl lines as well if you were so inclined, although you would need a secondary source for the hinged doors.

MrX

#9 Post by MrX »

Location KS

I have looked at different materials and feel that fiberglass is the way to go. I also had a ton of wood rot on outside of house which was replaced with Hardie Fibercement. The windows are original cheap contractor brand and are made of wood and are slowly breaking down. Thus the replacements..............

Between Marvin and Milgard, there is not too much difference that I see. Both are fiberglass, and perhaps Marvin 'looks' better. But most importantly, Milgard's warranty gives me the peace of mind!!

Milgard quote is new/recent and is still open/valid.

I will probably go with Milgard but need to be sure I am not paying too much!

Any pros/ contractors here with their recommendations?? Anyone from KS?

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There are critical areas that you need to reveiw to compare.
Besides the looks and cost. You should be comparing the thermal and structural test data for each brand and model , also but harder is the install.
U value should be the same on the compasion based on the same glass packages. The telltale structural number will be the AL/AI, this is how much draft they allo, so this applies to your door big time, fixed windows not so much.
You need to get the product 100% right and the install 100% right.How the exterior going to be finished? With the cement siding are you ok with capping( aluminum trim coil) or do you want something else?
So look for an installer with a minimum of ten years experience with a wide variety of mfg experience. Another telltale is the insulation that is used. Low expansion foam is the best.
Lastly if you truely want to be sure look at two or three of their most recent completed jobs.
Also ask for their best install team and the name of the lead mechanic before you sign the contract.