Sound Reduction

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
gossjoh1

Sound Reduction

#1 Post by gossjoh1 »

Hi guys, Thank you very much in advance for your time and helpful information. I just purchased a city condo that was built in the late 80's early 90's and it is right next to a park and busy street. The noise is unbelievable and it seems like there is no sound reduction from the original windows. There has been a lot of reviews of window brands on here for quality and U rating, but my questions is:

What are the best brand, model of windows for sound reduction? I've done a ton of research and seems the highest quality names are Okna, SoftLite, Sunrise and Marvin. I am looking for the highest quality of product regardless of price comparison. Please help!!!

John

Randy

Re: Sound Reduction

#2 Post by Randy »

Okna/Hi-Mark, Soft-lite, and Sunrise are top choices in vinyl. For the best noise reduction you'll want laminated glass.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. There are some trade-offs as far as quality between materials (ie: performance vs beauty and craftsmanship), but vinyl offers a very appealing package overall and those names are in the top tier. For sound reduction, as randy mentioned , laminated glass along with a very air-tight assembly will go a long way.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Laminated is certainly the first thing that you do in a standard replacement window.

You will need to identify if that is going to get you the performance that you need. How bad is the noise?

Laminated glass will provide an appreciable improvement but if the noise is low frequency (traffic hum), you may need to look at a dedicated STC window or a laminated storm (interior or exterior).

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

i agree about the aforementioned window brands. to add, laminated is the best for eliminating noise but you would be shocked by how much noise reduction you will notice from new windows and a new install. new windows with double pane /extra strength glass will provide plenty of obvious benefits but noise reduction as well. although laminated is the best at reducing noise, new windows in itself can make a big difference. this option can save alot of money as laminated is quite expensive.
ive had a few customers on busy streets request laminated but after using standard double pane,they were pleasantly surprised as to how much noise reduction they noticed.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You can expect to pay $200 to $300 more per window with .30 laminated glass, standard sized 15 sq ft window.
TheWindowNerd.