Window Recommendations for Northern Arizona

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
zbadboy69

Window Recommendations for Northern Arizona

#1 Post by zbadboy69 »

I live near Sedona AZ and am looking to replace my windows when I redo the siding. 3/4's of the windows are affected by the harsh Arizona Sun. The problem I am having is most of the recommended widows (Sunlite, Sunrise, etc...) are only available back east. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Recommendations for Northern Arizona

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think you mean Soft-Lite as it pertains to your first mention.

Where in Arizona? What altitude?

Thermally broken aluminum is popular, for a reason, in many desert regions.

Fiberglass is also a worthwhile option.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I second the recommendation for thermally-broken aluminum frames. Great option for the south, where long extreme summers can take a toll on the average vinyl window.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+2. While very well built vinyl products will be fine in that extreme climate, you don't have access to several of the elite lines in your market.

zbadboy69

#5 Post by zbadboy69 »

I am at 34.6403° N, 111.7833° W. I have heard Thermally broken aluminum works good in hot climates. Do you know if Eagle windows offer Thermally broken aluminum?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Eagle is a beautiful aluminum clad wood window.
I would look at fiberglass, such as InLine Fiberglass. Let us know if this interest you and we can provide more guidance and mfg.
TheWindowNerd...

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

If I were going to look at wood, Marvin would beat out the Eagle offering by a large margin.

Kolbe and Kolbe would be next.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

The Eagle is pretty nice and usually below the Marvin Ultimate in price. How would the Marvin beat it out by a large margin?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:The Eagle is pretty nice and usually below the Marvin Ultimate in price. How would the Marvin beat it out by a large margin?
I have a longer and personal history with Marvin. The window appears to be more solidly constructed to my hands after handling both. Marvin is less cryptic with their performance or architectural reporting data. The window looks more traditional to me.

These are my personal observances and hence the reason that I said "if I were going to look at wood".

The Eagle window is very nice option and certainly worth consideration. I just have more personal history with the Marvin.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Eagle has there architectural and performance data clearly shown on there web page and is pretty easy to navigate.Both seem to be well built to me. The only thing I don't like about the Eagle is the internal glazing bead. It does make glass replacement possible but does not look as traditional to me either.

I caught the "if I were looking at wood" comment which is why I assumed we were talking about Eagle and Marvin and not Okna.

My point is that both are nice, the Marvin may be nicer, but by a "large margin" is wrong in my personal opinion.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are right about the architectural data. I did more browsing on their site and didn't know that you could click through on some of those highlighted sections.

Not sure about the Okna comment but I will chock that up to your general sarcastic and fire starting nature.

Regardless of our opinions on Eagle or Marvin, both have nice sized companies behind them.

I think the original poster would be well served to entertain bids on both as well as a premium fiberglass and thermally broken aluminum window.