Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
wysp94

Windows

#1 Post by wysp94 »

Hi, new to this site but looking for answers. Please help!
Currently searching for 10 replacement windows. SO far, I have Ideal Majestic, Castle, BF Rich, Affinity. Whats the best of them? Is there any I should stay away from?

Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

I have to be honest, with the price you may be paying for some of those, you can probably get into a higher quality brand such as Okna/ HiMark, Soft Lite,Sunrise, or Gorell. I would at the very least checkout a few of those brands as they are better designed products. Although the higher end Affinity is nice.
Last edited by masterext on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think one of the pros here uses the Affinty windows, DE MIke, he likes em.
The company has not been around long enough for me, IMHO.
What city is your project located in?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

So far, of that group, the Affinity is my favorite.

What model Affinity?

+1 on the additional brand searches.

wysp94

#5 Post by wysp94 »

Thanks all for the replies. I'm doing the work in downingtown PA and there are a lot of choices. I have met with 2 sales reps so far that offer the majestic and castle. Today(Wednesday) I meet with affinity and bf rich.
So far for 10 majestic - $6000.
Castle- $8900
There is some kinda discount for castle that would lower the $ but the rep wouldn't tell me what it was until I signed the contract.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Wouldn't tell you the discount until you sign?! :shock: I'd run from that... I agree that three affinityis the best of that list. You might also consider checking out Himark, okna, softlite, and sunrise.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Windows on Washington wrote:So far, of that group, the Affinity is my favorite.

What model Affinity?

+1 on the additional brand searches.
I agree with WOW. Affinity basically has three series. Their top series is the Elite, followed by the Advantage, and then the Element. All are based upon the same master frame and sash extrusion and design. As the price drops so does the bells and whistles or features. I've been installing their Elite and Advantage series for a little over a year now and am very pleased with them for the price in which I purchase them for, excellent value. With standard Super Spaced glazing, .080 extrusion wall thickness, triple weather-stripping, quality Ashland hardware, composite meeting rail reinforcement and foam filled frames, I find this window typically meets or exceeds my homeowner's needs.

When I venture out of my home county which is quite often, I find that most folks are more open to invest a little extra to put themselves into a Sunrise Vanguard, OKNA/HiMark, or Soft-Lite Imperial LS product after seeing all of the units side by side. BF Rich is a solid manufacturer and is relatively close to you, however I personally think it's a little dated looking in it's appearance. The Ideal products don't feature the triple weatherstripping like the other lines fore-mentioned, thus I would suspect the Ideal to not have such impressive air leakage test results. Castle is well, they think it's still 1964 and folks should still take their sales pitch hook, line, and sinker. Tin Men....

What are the details of your installation?

wysp94

#8 Post by wysp94 »

The details are 10 double hung windows. I live in townhouse so they have to follow the guidelines. 6 over 6 with the grates and a half screen. It appears to be a basic install but I dont know much about it.

How much are the other brands you listed? Can I get into one of them for around $6000? I am definitely not looking for the best but rather a good quality window that is affordable because we dont plan on staying here past 6 or 7 yrs.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Without seeing the details of the installation such as what material are the existing windows and trim/capping work, I don't see why you couldn't get into one of these series for that price. Aluminum window tear outs tend to run more than wood tear outs if you happen to have metal windows currently.

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

HomeSealed wrote:Wouldn't tell you the discount until you sign?! :shock: I'd run from that... I agree that three affinityis the best of that list. You might also consider checking out Himark, okna, softlite, and sunrise.
Agreed! Makes them sound like shysters.

wysp94

#11 Post by wysp94 »

Yeah it definitely rubbed me the wrong way when he said I have to sign the contract first. I have been parading sales reps in and out of my house for days now and to be told I had to sign something first before getting a price was crazy.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you wait till tonight I think you will be able to contact DE Mike through his "get a quote" button.
Mike is a great guy and as fussy as they come( does beautiful work).

TheWindowNerd....

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. DM is highly recommended if he serves your area. :D

wysp94

#14 Post by wysp94 »

I just met with 2 companies and received what I feel are good quotes. I would like to get peoples opinion on the 2 so any feedback would be appreciated.

BF Rich Cabernet Double Hung with green shield- $5500 (10)

Sunrise Essential Double Hung- $5450 (10)

Randy

#15 Post by Randy »

The Sunrise Essentials is a budget window. I'd stick with Sunrise Vanguard or Restoration.