Window recommendations for Kansas City

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
BBQ Addict

Window recommendations for Kansas City

#1 Post by BBQ Addict »

I am in search of quality replacement windows for the family homestead. We plan to live here until death, which I hope is at least 40 years away! From reading extensively on this forum I know that Okna, Softlite, and Sunrise are preferred by the pros on this forum.

Does anyone know if all of these brands are available in the KC area?
Are there any local/regional brands that you recommend?
Are there any highly regarded installers from this board in the area?

Most windows are average size DH, except a picture window flanked by DH. Current windows are 1950s single pane wood, with add-on aluminum storms. Premium vinyl seems to be the best choice, based on my research here and on other boards.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window recommendations for Kansas City

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Soft-Lite and Sunrise should be readily available in your area. Okna is not that far down yet but the product can be located if you have an installer already set aside.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

Your best bet will be to visit the websites for Soft-lite and Sunrise to locate the nearest dealers. For Sunrise, they operate separate websites for their premium brands - Vanguard & Restorations.

BBQ Addict

#4 Post by BBQ Addict »

I've just heard about another window available in this area, Gerkin. Have any of you had any experience with them?

BBQ Addict

#5 Post by BBQ Addict »

I have started getting quotes, and would like price sanity checks from the experts.

The project is for 13 DH avg 27 x 53; 1 picture 58 x 53, 1 picture 53 x 37; and 3 basement windows (includes removing old steel frame windows set in concrete).

The first quote totals $11K for Sunrise with double pane, Low-E and argon; U-value .28, AI 0.1, SHGC 0.19.

The quote includes complete removal and haul off, full exterior wrap, and replacement of any rotted wood.

Is that a reasonable price for the Sunrise windows?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is there lead paint?

If so, that number is more than fair. If not, it is not as good a deal but still in the range of normal and acceptable.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Just to help you clarify the AI on the Sunrise DH's as you did post accurate information based upon the NFRC stickers or brochures. The Sunrise AI is actually a .04 on their double hung lines excluding the Essentials which I have no idea about that series. The NFRC sticker that Sunrise puts on their DH's rounds up to the tenth, thus anything between a .01 and .09 would show a .10 on their stickers. Don't know anymore details or backstory on their stickers other than what their engineers explained to me? :D

BBQ Addict

#8 Post by BBQ Addict »

Windows on Washington wrote:Is there lead paint?

If so, that number is more than fair. If not, it is not as good a deal but still in the range of normal and acceptable.
Haven't been tested yet, but the house was built in 1956, so they may have figured on it.

buddy11

#9 Post by buddy11 »

BBQ Addict wrote:I have started getting quotes, and would like price sanity checks from the experts.

The project is for 13 DH avg 27 x 53; 1 picture 58 x 53, 1 picture 53 x 37; and 3 basement windows (includes removing old steel frame windows set in concrete).

The first quote totals $11K for Sunrise with double pane, Low-E and argon; U-value .28, AI 0.1, SHGC 0.19.

The quote includes complete removal and haul off, full exterior wrap, and replacement of any rotted wood.

That's not a bad price with all the work you're describing.

BBQ Addict

#10 Post by BBQ Addict »

BBQ Addict wrote:I have started getting quotes, and would like price sanity checks from the experts.

Some additional info on the above quote. The windows are Sunrise Signature Series, a private label model for this particular company. It looks like they are re-branded Vanguard. The salesman did mention the AI rating as .04, but I recorded the sticker value. This company has been around 11 years.

My second quote is from a family-owned company in business 35 years. It is for Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows with Super-Spacer. Double pane, Low E and argon; U-value .27, AI 0.02, SHGC 0.20. The quote includes complete removal of the old, replacing any rotted wood, and full exterior wrap. Their price is $9700.

Does the second quote seem reasonable? Which of the two window manufacturers do you pros consider better?

The first company wants 10% down, the second wants no payment until complete. Which practice is prevalent among you?

buddy11

#11 Post by buddy11 »

Who do you like better?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

I would never base a decision on down payment unless it was everything " upfront" . Usually down payments that I see are 30 - 50% down .

Both are good windows and it comes down to personal preference.

BBQ Addict

#13 Post by BBQ Addict »

buddy11 wrote:Who do you like better?
We are still mulling that over. The Sunrise have a bit more glass area, but the Soft-Lite have slightly better ratings. Both look good compared to the cheap flat boxy style. We weren't concerned about the down payment, just curious.

Is the Soft-Lite price within a normal range for that product?

buddy11

#14 Post by buddy11 »

Well fwiw, I like sunrise products a lot, but u can't go wrong with either

BBQ Addict

#15 Post by BBQ Addict »

Y'all deserve closure, so I'm back to share our decision. We are going with the Softlite Imperials based on a number of factors. They have slightly better ratings than the Sunrise at a slightly lower price. But the biggest factor was the installation company. The Softlite contractor gave us 35 references within 10 miles of home. We visited a bunch of them, and were able to talk to many. We were impressed that they all spoke highly of the company and their workers. Two had experienced issues requiring warranty followup, which was handled without a hassle. The installs had been done over a 15 year period, so we could see how they were holding up. We were impressed that several of the older installs remembered names of the salesman and installers.

The Sunrise contractor only gave us 2 references at first, both in other towns in the Metro. After asking for more they gave 3 additional, only two in our town. We viewed three of them, two of which were very new installs. The work was neat and clean, but none of the customers were home to talk with.

Thanks to all the pros on this board that share their wisdom and help homeowners with these major decisions.