Okna or Slocomb?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bszollose

Okna or Slocomb?

#1 Post by Bszollose »

Does anyone know anything about Slocomb windows? We received a quote on both Slocomb and okna and are trying to decide between the two. Unfortunately I can't find much about Slocomb windows, but we liked the look and they seem like good windows. I was leaning towards Okna initially but am concerned about their affiliation with window wizards and I'm not sure if it's a reflection on the company or not. We are in south eastern pa.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Okna or Slocomb?

#2 Post by masterext »

The first thing I would do is contact Anthony or Delaware Mike. Do a board search of their names and then click their respective contact button. 2 great guys and very good contractors.
What was it about slocomb that you liked? The Okna is a better performer. Just curious on the reason you liked the look.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with MasterExt that the HiMark or Okna window is better based on hands on experience with both Slocomb and HiMark/okna.
The 800Dx is our favorite to install: very sturdy construction, easy to set, and looks the best of any window. All of that a draft free window, AI .01.
If you do triple glazing it becomes an R 5 window and there is a new loan program that offers 4.99% fixed ten year.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Which model Slocomb? They make several.

They appear to be a pretty good window but I would want a bit more critical evaluation of the performance numbers before lending an opinion on them.

Bszollose

#5 Post by Bszollose »

Thanks for the replies. The Slocomb window is the Protech 177 and we were quoted about $9400 for 20 windows (including a large picture and 2 floor to ceiling casements, the rest are double hung). The Okna 500 came in at about $9600 for 18 windows (forgot to have them include the two garage windows in the quote, but I assume adding those two in will up the price about $1000 or so). I realize that the Okna has better numbers overall, but the Slocomb still seems to have decent numbers as well. They both have a similar look to them, and we like both. The dealer that showed us the Slocomb also showed us a Soft-Lite - it was between those 2 that we liked the look of the Slocomb better. It just had a nice appearance from the outside. But we've narrowed it to either the Okna or Slocomb so the appearance isn't much of a factor since we thought those two looked pretty similar.

Should I be wary of Okna because of the Window Wizard debacle or do you feel that they are still a stand up company? Are they worth an extra $1000 or so over the Slocomb?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I can't say that Okna is worth the premium because I have not personally used Slocumb, however I trust anthony's assessment, and the performance ratings don't lie. What I can say for certain is that not only does Okna make one of the truly elite products available, but the company is extremely solid and been fantastic to deal with in my experience. They are going on 20 years in business and in a day and age when window manufacturers are going under daily, they are growing and expanding. That fact speaks volumes.
If in fact you are in an area served by anthony or Delaware Mike you would be wise to contact them. Product is is only 50% of the equation, installation is the other half. Those two guys are some of the pickiest, most knowledgeable installers that I've met.

Bszollose

#7 Post by Bszollose »

A little bit more info:
Slocomb has .09AI, .26 U-value, 49 CR
Okna has .02AI, .25 U-value, 62 CR

I can obviously see the difference here, but am not sure of the significance? Is the variance that great?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Bszollose wrote:A little bit more info:
Slocomb has .09AI, .26 U-value, 49 CR
Okna has .02AI, .25 U-value, 62 CR

I can obviously see the difference here, but am not sure of the significance? Is the variance that great?
The CR is significant for sure.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Big +1 on the CR. I assuming that has to do with the type of low-e glass that they are using. SIGNIFICANT difference in condensation resistance here. What is the SHGC on that?

Bszollose

#10 Post by Bszollose »

Yes, I thought the CR was a pretty big difference. We have condensation in some of the windows we are replacing now and I absolutely hate that. That alone may be enough to justify another $1000!

The shgc for Okna is .30 and VT is .55. For Slocomb the shgc is .21 and VT is .49

I think I'm answering my own questions here...Okna is looking like the right choice. I'm still happy to hear your comments/suggestions though. But I'd still love to hear your opinions on my concern with the Okna company/Window Wizard problem. I don't know much about it, so I'd love to know if you all think they are still pretty reputable.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree, I think that you have answered your own question at this point :D . Not only is that difference in CR pretty major, but the SHGC @ .21 is too low for your area (assuming that you are in the NE?) as well... You would want a significantly lower u-value (like .20 or better) to compensate for that loss in shgc IMO. Regarding Okna as a company, they are extremely reputable and solid as I mentioned above. That situation was much ado about nothing, and only got/gets attention when propagated by their competitors. Manufacturers have little control over the marketing efforts of their dealers, and that was the case in that situation. In addition, Okna actually went above and beyond by retroactively servicing and or replacing units of those homeowners that requested it, despite the fact that the units were produced to proper spec. They also changed the method of foam filling (at a substantial cost) to alleviate any and all questions.
If you dig deep enough, you will find some type of "scandal" or controversy with just about every manufacturer out there. From bankruptcy, to lawsuits, not honoring warranties, etc, they all have some skeletons in the closet. Some are worrisome, others are not.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have been in this industry for 35 years.
As HS shared Okna was stand up about the whole thing and took care of people.
The slime in the whole deal was WW, I live in the area, 20 minutes from both headquarters. WW was always a low ball company and had serious run ins with the AG long ago.
I tend to be as objective as possible and find HiMark/Okna to be a trust worthy company.

Bszollose

#13 Post by Bszollose »

Thank you so much for your replies. As a home owner, it can be scary looking at spending 10 grand and not being 100% sure what you are getting not knowing the industry. You all have been extremely helpful. Okna it is and I'm confident with that decision.

buddy11

#14 Post by buddy11 »

HomeSealed wrote:I agree, I think that you have answered your own question at this point :D . Not only is that difference in CR pretty major, but the SHGC @ .21 is too low for your area (assuming that you are in the NE?) as well... You would want a significantly lower u-value (like .20 or better) to compensate for that loss in shgc IMO. Regarding Okna as a company, they are extremely reputable and solid as I mentioned above. That situation was much ado about nothing, and only got/gets attention when propagated by their competitors. Manufacturers have little control over the marketing efforts of their dealers, and that was the case in that situation. In addition, Okna actually went above and beyond by retroactively servicing and or replacing units of those homeowners that requested it, despite the fact that the units were produced to proper spec. They also changed the method of foam filling (at a substantial cost) to alleviate any and all questions.
If you dig deep enough, you will find some type of "scandal" or controversy with just about every manufacturer out there. From bankruptcy, to lawsuits, not honoring warranties, etc, they all have some skeletons in the closet. Some are worrisome, others are not.
^^ This ^^ :mrgreen:

Randy

#15 Post by Randy »

I actually like Slocumb's numbers......for Texas. Definitely not appropriate for Pennsylvania though. Why in the world would a manufacturer set up that glass package for the Northeast?

As for Okna, they handled the issue with WW with integrity and have proven themselves to be standard setters rather than followers.