Single Hung recommendations in Denver?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jcehmann

Single Hung recommendations in Denver?

#1 Post by jcehmann »

I have a single story "ranch" in SE Denver with 27 windows to replace consisting of single hung and single sliders some of which are rather large sliders, 60HX72W mulled with a half round on top. The existing windows are narrow frames which we like the looks of. Any recommendations of a narrow framed SH with strong ratings across the board? Simonton introduced a 7300 series in one of the big box stores locally but I'm concerned I'll leave something on the table if I go with that narrow of a frame?
Thoughts on Sunrise singles? Anderson 100's? Amerimax Craftsmen? I've got a south side that bakes in the summer which looks like the fibrex might hold up better? I looked at the Marvin Integrity Ultrex but we have pie shaped geometrics that apparently can't be done by them.
Thanks for the input!
Carl

HomeSealed

Re: Single Hung recommendations in Denver?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Sunrise is the class of that bunch and is the only elite performer in that group. Simonton is a solid choice, but the performance drops off. I'm not crazy about the other options, and on fibrex material, it is the opposite in my experience. It is essentially vinyl mixed with sawdust/woodflour, so there is no reason to think that it would last longer, particularly since it is only warrantied for 10yrs. I have personally seen it fail in less than that.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

The problem with Sunrise single hungs is they are not internally reinforced and it's not available as an upgrade, therefore I couldn't recommend it for your situation. While the Sunrise is a better window than Simonton generally, since your windows are so large, I'd prefer to see you go with Simonton if you can get it with the meeting rail reinforcement.

You might see if there's a Gorell dealer anywhere near you.

With windows that large, accepting a little bulkier frame would be better than going with a narrow framed window that bows due to it's lack of strength and rigidity - increasing the air leakage.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a big window and certainly one that I would opt for reinforcement on as well.

Do you have any pictures of the openings?

Have you tried Gorell or Soft-Lite?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Randy makes a good point, I glazed over (pun intended :mrgreen: ) the fact that you mentioned single hungs. Rather than switch lines altogether, have you considered the Sunrise Double hung with the reinforcement?... The other lines mentioned are fine choices as well.

jcehmann

#6 Post by jcehmann »

Thank you for the input!
Again saw the Sunrise single today. Sure has clean lines with simplicity to the frame & tight! Our largest opening of width for a single hung is 34inches. Is that the concern that you point out Randy?.... or is it in the 56Hinch single slider? A couple of those 34inch single hungs would be mulled together.
Gorell folk out here were not responsive.....I was surprised. SoftLite I thought was the same manufacturer? How are their single hungs stronger? Larger frame or reinforced?
Amerimax Craftsman Portrait has come up quite a bit. Specific thoughts there? Numbers are sure low and they've been represented to have the reinforcement in the sash. Narrower frame than most. Certainly not as clean and tight as the Sunrise... in my mind.
I'll get a picture this weekend.

thank you!

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not sure I would even throw the American Craftsman window into the consideration.

As it pertains to strength in the Soft-Lite window (depending on the model), heavier mil thickness on the vinyl, different extrusion types, and reinforcement are what will make the window more resistant to that deflection.

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Sunrise makes a nice product, very attractive too. Those 72 x 60 sliders are really large and there's no way I'd do them without reinforcement. The Denver area can get some high winds and they can flex a weak vinyl window enough to cause excessive air leakage through the window.

The larger bulkier frame, if it consists of multiple chambers within, strengthens a vinyl window as well, so that's a plus in terms of strength and rigidity.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Amerimax window line.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

@jc: Could you clarify a couple things:
-are the 72 x60 sliders one frame, or are they mulled units? The original post is a little bit conflicting, and it would definitely make a difference on the recommendation.
- When you say "Amerimax Craftsman", are you meaning American Craftsman (commonly sold at Home Depot), or Amerimax which is a decent option on the west coast from what I've heard. If the former, it is not a well regarded product among pros.

jcehmann

#10 Post by jcehmann »

Sure. 72 x 60 is one frame. 3 sliders that size. 2 of which have a half round mulled to the top. Amerimax Craftsman Portait Series -single operators.
thanks!

Randy

#11 Post by Randy »

Having a window mulled over the top of the sliders makes getting a reinforced window even more important.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice for that size ^^^