mid 80's wood windows with metal guides HELP :)

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lellosnow

mid 80's wood windows with metal guides HELP :)

#1 Post by lellosnow »

I hope I explain this good.

I just bought a house and the windows are drafty. They are woods windows double pane. But the drafters come because they don't sit right because the metal guides along the left and right side of the window are bent and loose and move. They look like the window was framed in then these cheap looking metal slide guides were installed on just the left and right. then the widows were in stalled. I have included a pictures.

My question is can I replace them with better ones that will allow the windows to shut better? the windows are solid and all.. Just these metal guides are whats making them not work efficiently.

thanks for your help guys.

fred

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: mid 80's wood windows with metal guides HELP :)

#2 Post by masterext »

Even if they are replaced, the windows are still going to be drafty. They may look solid but in reality they leak a lot of air. In my area, I come across those windows almost daily.
You should really consider new windows .

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep you could , but as masterext said you should replace the whole window, insert style at minimum.
I too replace those type windows and the same sash that have attempted to upgrade by change to spring tension side jamb tracks.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Those are jamb liners and they house the balance assembly (which is responsible for making the window stay up). You could conceivably replace them, but they would be the same style and probably offer little improvement in performance.
If the air leakage is your primary concern, look at replacements, or if they are otherwise in good shape, a high quality storm window could be a possible solution.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

You could also have them modified to run on a vinyl jambliners and install new weatherstripping at the same time.This would run around $200 if you can find someone to do it in your area.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I always loved replacing those. Fold the tracks over and under the sashes and yank. In the tradition of the show "name that tune",.... "I can yank that window out in 8 seconds..."