Help with window decision

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Matty33

Help with window decision

#1 Post by Matty33 »

So with help from this website and other resources I got a bunch of quotes and looked at more windows than I ever want to see again :)

I have a decision to make and I think I know the answer to this but wanted some other opinions on it just to make sure.

Because I currently have vinyl windows I have to go with a new construction or one with a nailing flange, this is the best install for my application and all have agreed on this.

Narrowed down to the following (triple pane where I can due to the extremes here and the rooms they are going in):
-Andersen 400
-Pella 350 triple pane
-Alside Ultramaxx triple w/krypton
-Okna 5500 triple pane w/argon

The only catch here is I haven't seen the Okna in person, only read about it and what I've seen on the web, long story but basically I can get a great deal on them but wouldn't be able to see them in person unless I drove to the office location.

So which of those options is the best bet and if it's Okna would that be a safe one without seeing it first? Prices are very similar on all so it's really down to the window itself as I've also narrowed down to the best installers. Any input would be great!

Randy

Re: Help with window decision

#2 Post by Randy »

Not even a close call, Okna 500 is easily the best of the bunch - especially if the prices are comparable.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Agree, the okna is easily the best choice .

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+3 on the Okna. Great window.

Matty33

#5 Post by Matty33 »

Thanks for the replies, confirms what I thought so unless something crazy happens I'll go that route.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't add much to what has already been said.

I agree that the Okna is the best of that set of choices.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Why can't you see a sample?
I may be the lone voice, but a fin install is not the only option.

But either can be done successfully.

What is the qty?

Matty33

#8 Post by Matty33 »

anthony wrote:Why can't you see a sample?
I may be the lone voice, but a fin install is not the only option.

But either can be done successfully.

What is the qty?
I got around the sample piece, it was due to how the pricing was for the initial set of windows being a deal off of angie's list but that's since changed.

It's going to be less than 10 windows so that's the reason each installer has suggested the fin install only due to any other changing the appearance too much.

The Okna looks like a great window and the installer seems very good, lots of references and good reviews so I'm hoping for the best. If not I can always go with the $189 from Window World :lol:

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Ha, I can not remember the last time I bought a window, even factory direct, for $189.

Matty33

#10 Post by Matty33 »

So everything looks good on the Okna, the only thing is the installer suggested not going with the new construction window but instead wants to put in the replacement and basically cut out the nailing flange of the current ones and won't have to pull all the siding.

He said there's no issues doing this and they do it all the time because they know the correct way to do this without causing any issues and sealing it correctly etc. Long list of references, been in business a long time, 1 BBB complaint in the whole time, great reviews everywhere so I don't have any reason not to believe him.

Any concerns going that route?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

It is a legitimate option when done correctly, however it does offer the least amount of protection as far as your alternatives go. My preferred method in that situation is to cut the siding back to remove the original finned window, and install/flash a new one, and then add trim to cover the gap left where the siding was cut-back. More labor-intensive than the "express" method that he suggested, but also more protection. Also saves you from R&R'ing all of the siding.
If you do go that method (that he proposed), make sure that they retro-fit a drip cap (head flashing). Very important step.
In all of the times that I have explained the pros and cons of each of the three methods, homeowners choose the siding cutback option 99.9% of the time.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

HomeSealed is correct that his method is more comprehensive but a standard cut out and insert set will work fine if done properly.

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

If siding is going to be dropped and reinstalled, I prefer HomeSealed's method. It's been my luck around in the areas that I run into replacing new construction flanged vinyl that the windows on the front of the house have shutters installed so closely together that one cannot cut back siding in place and make trim boards work. It sounds to me that the method your installer is proposing will require some sort of capping that ties the face or sides of the new replacement window overtop the old flange that was left in, but underneath the j-channel?

Matty33

#14 Post by Matty33 »

Delaware Mike wrote:If siding is going to be dropped and reinstalled, I prefer HomeSealed's method. It's been my luck around in the areas that I run into replacing new construction flanged vinyl that the windows on the front of the house have shutters installed so closely together that one cannot cut back siding in place and make trim boards work. It sounds to me that the method your installer is proposing will require some sort of capping that ties the face or sides of the new replacement window overtop the old flange that was left in, but underneath the j-channel?
I'm not 100% on the entire process yet, I planned on going over this with them when they come out to do the exact measurements. I can definitely see where this "express" method could have problems if not done correctly and the flanged method would be much easier to ensure no water gets behind.

I think my best bet would be to have them describe the process in more detail and voice my concerns, then if I'm still not feeling comfortable ask for the flanged install.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote:If siding is going to be dropped and reinstalled, I prefer HomeSealed's method. It's been my luck around in the areas that I run into replacing new construction flanged vinyl that the windows on the front of the house have shutters installed so closely together that one cannot cut back siding in place and make trim boards work. It sounds to me that the method your installer is proposing will require some sort of capping that ties the face or sides of the new replacement window overtop the old flange that was left in, but underneath the j-channel?
We usually end up moving the shutters out farther after installing the new trim. I'm sure that there are some circumstances that would make that difficult or impossible, but not that I've run into around here.