Replacement Windows in Conn

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
hockeyfool1

Replacement Windows in Conn

#1 Post by hockeyfool1 »

I am trying to replace 24 windows in my home in Conn. I have looked at Alside and Champion and can't decide if either fits the bill or not. I have not been able to get any reliable info on either brand. The Alside "EXCALIBUR" is priced low compared to Champion, however, I have been told that Champion is overpriced for what you get. I have also been told that most windows are comparable, that it is the installation that is key. As all windows I have looked at have "LIFETIME WARRANTIES" I am not sure that any decision can be based on that. So, is it all about gut feel? or is there something more concrete that I should be looking for.
Thank you in advance for any help that you may be able to provide!

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Windows in Conn

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Whoever told you that all the windows were the same either bought, or was selling, a cheaper window.

There are vast differences in quality and performance and while installation is critical, a great installation does not make up for a poor product.

This board and its sister board are fantastic resources and I think you are at the beginning of a educational journey the more you research on windows.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Hockeyfool, there is indeed something very concrete to look for. Every window line will be independently tested both thermally and structurally, and have unbiased ratings as such. The primary thermal ratings include U factor (lower is better) and a climate appropriate SHGC, and the primary structural ratings are Air Infiltration (pretty self explanatory :wink: ), and design pressure which essentially tests the amount of deflection of the unit under load. For a reference point, the top vinyl products commonly available are seeing U factor of .25 -.28 with double pane glass and a shgc above .25 or so, air infiltration rates of under .05cfm, and design pressure ratings of R50-R70.
It can be very difficult to squeeze some of that information out of the companies whose products do not excel in those areas, but they are tested none the less, and the can provide you data sheets if you press them hard enough.
A couple other design features to look for would be a fully welded sloped sill where ZERO water is drained through the frame, and exterior glazing is generally preferrable, as is a non-metallic glass spacer (although the stainless units offer good performance as metal goes).

hockeyfool1

#4 Post by hockeyfool1 »

Thanks for the info, thats great, at least now I have some questions to ask! Another question --- I know an "insulated ( foam ) frame looks good, but, is it that necesary with the reputable mfgs like Harvey, Pella, etc?? Again thanks for the help.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

-On foam, the effect it has will vary by product. Look at the U values with and without it. If it goes down a notch or two, it is effective. If not, not so much... It is really never BAD to have it, but it may not be worth a premium price if it doesnt effect the performance accordingly.
-Be careful about relying on name recognition. Some of the biggest names out there built there brand decades ago on wood products, and make terrible vinyl. Once again, you can fall back on those ratings for an unbiased comparison.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Excalibur is low quality garbage, plain and simple.
All windows are the same? That's completely absurd.
Reputable companies like Harvey and pella? Both those companies do NOT make a higher end offering.
I would be very careful about trying to find a cheap price. You will wind up with a cheap, low quality product and that's an expensive mistake. Expand your search and look at higher end offerings.

hockeyfool1

#7 Post by hockeyfool1 »

Thanks for the info on Excalibur. NOT looking for cheap at all, just trying to understand what the heck I should be looking for. They all look the same with minor differences. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Homesealed's comments are dead on and well stated.

If you are doing vinyl let me help you with a few brands to look at an consider:
HiMark, SoftLite, Sunrise, and Okna
You will not make a mistake with any of the above.