Replacing Casement Windows in Rochester, MI

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tggr2820

Replacing Casement Windows in Rochester, MI

#1 Post by tggr2820 »

Your board has been a wealth of information!! This is my first (and hopefully ONLY) time having to replace windows, and I've researched until I feel like my head will explode with all the contradictory information. I feel more lost now than when I started, which means I don't even know where to start asking questions, and I feel like I have a million of them at this point...... So, here goes.....

Most discussions seem to be about double hung windows, and I'd rather not assume anything. So, rather than assume, I'll ask: If they make a good double hung, would they make a good casement too?

I have a whole house to redo, and would love to hear your recommendations. My requirements:
- Casement, couple of half round top and a sliding glass door
- Wood look interior finishes available, but do NOT want wood (I am so sick of varnishing these things!)
- Energy efficient (I am so sick of sitting in a draft every winter)

We’ve only talked to a couple of people about replacing our windows so far. One would be replacing just the individual window, leaving most our wood trim around and down the center. The other says it’s best to replace the entire thing, so basically just the existing wood molding that is on the wall would remain. Pros/Cons of either? The second guy had a good point about how they could then ensure it is fully insulated around the window as they replace it all. I honestly just have no idea: What is the “norm” for casements?

I know from reading that even the best window can become bad without good installers. What are the top questions you would ask to help weed out the “bad” installers? (I’d just email Widows on Washington since so many of you speak highly of them, but I think Rochester, MI might be a bit far.) In a perfect world, I’d like to do the siding too, but $$$$$

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Replacing Casement Windows in Rochester, MI

#2 Post by masterext »

I would wait for a response from Eric ( windows on Washington); the guy is an utmost expert.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

You frustration with analysis paralysis is an often cited one by consumers.

Where is the happy medium between being educated and being buried in the analytical specifics.

Here is what you have identified:
- operator types (casements)
- This is great as nearly all the well designed casements are supremely air tight so you will be looking at a great crop of windows in most cases
- wood interior finish
- Also helpful. Do you want a "real" wood interior or do you want an interior laminate? Have you looked at the laminates?
- energy efficient
- Absolutely. The casements will be mostly airtight so now we have to figure out what the right glazing package is.

You have identified a bunch more than you give yourself credit for.

Questions:

- What material look/feel to you want? Do you want wood, vinyl, fiberglass, etc. Vinyl will be the least expensive in this case and if you like the interior laminates that they have available, it will work just fine for you. If you want something a bit more wood like without the maintenance and longer term warranty, fiberglass is the next option.

- Do you have a bunch of wood rot now? If you don't have a bunch of wood rot now, and insert application is permissible, however, most folks doing casements opt for the full tear out route. This is not because of the installation and the ability to insulate between the frame, but because it will give you more glass and insert casements that are replacing insert casements can look a bit boxy from time to time.

- Were you considering siding at this time or only because of the windows? If you were considering siding, I highly recommend that you do them together if possible and if you need to delay the start of your project so that the budget is prepared for the expense of both, do that. Doing a full, new construction installation on the windows is preferable and you will eliminate some of the duplication of efforts when it comes to the install if you combine the projects.

If you are going to go new construction, post back or email me and I can break down all the specifics.

As soon as you answer some of the above questions in terms of what windows you are leaning towards, we can get you steered in the right direction and the project moved forward.

Don't worry...you are making progress!!!!

:D

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

tggr2820 wrote:...(I’d just email Widows on Washington since so many of you speak highly of them, but I think Rochester, MI might be a bit far.)...
I'm not sure if Eric would get that email unless he has started a new support group that I am unaware of, :lol:

It sounds like you are on the right track so far. Just a few thing to supplement/reinforce WoW's comments:
-generally speaking a company that makes a great DH will make great products regardless of configuration, casement would be no exception. A few of the top vinyl choices are Himark, Sunrise, Polaris, Softlite, Okna.
-it sounds as though you are leaning toward a prefinished woodgrain vinyl. Great choice for value. You'll get top performance, warranty, low maintenance, etc.
-On installation, you are absolutely correct that this is a critical area. Regarding full frame vs insert: the top 3 reasons for doing a full tearout are 1) your exisiting frames and or flashing system are in terrible shape. 2) You are already doing siding, as you are half way there in terms of the extra work, and 3) if you are very sensitive to the slight glass loss that you would see with an insert... Efficiency wise, there is no difference. Most of the time, the exterior trim combined with flashing, caulking , and insulation is already providing a solid seal around the exisiting frames, but even if there is some leakage there, you can simply remove the casing, foam it, and reinstall. Not at all necessary to tear out the whole frame. There are some guys running around using that as a scare tactic.
-On finding a quality installer, just look for a reputable local company that carries great products and shoots straight. They should be able to provide references and examples of their work, as well as walk you through the installation process. Generally speaking, there is no perfect window product, configuration, installation type, etc, so the most honest guys will give you the pros and cons of each (along with a recommendation on what fits you best), and let you decide. :D

tggr2820

#5 Post by tggr2820 »

Widows, Windows, oops.... spell check doesn't catch everything :lol:

Actually, the window project is a byproduct of knowing we need to do something with the siding because we have some rotting boards on the siding. We decided that if we were going to end up doing both in a matter of a couple of years, we might as well do both at once so we can coordinate colors. (Yes, I'm a girl, color is a factor :D ) And, as my husband puts it, the colors should either match or "miss big" and be a nice contrast. We figured it would be easier to look at both together. So the siding is technically the more urgent need due to known rot, but the widows are a close second after how cold I was all last winter.

Now, back to WoW's other comments:

Interior definitely needs to NOT BE WOOD. I'm open to vinyl or fiberglass, again, color is a factor. All our interior trim and cabinets and wood, and we really like that look. We have only looked at a couple of windows so far, and it was while researching what we've been presented so far that I found your board. Home Depot's VantagePointe didn't have an interior color that matches up to our existing colors. Alside's Excalibur has a color that looks good, but I've yet to find good comments or reviews about their window. That's what brought me here looking for other suggestions.

We have wood now, with aluminum clad exterior. So hopefully the exterior isn't rotten (haven't really looked). The biggest interior problem is the peeling varnish from the moisture we get on the inside. But performance is why they need to get out of my house. They started popping seals at about 3-4 years old and are now almost 11. They just radiate cold, even after having some of them fixed. The manufacturer is out of business (likely due to a high number of warranty claims).

So, if I'm understanding you correctly..... if I am doing the siding at the same time, I wouldn't necessary be limited to what the manufacturers have in their "replacement" window section? I could also look at those in their "new construction" area? Interesting. Although, as of last night we were just discussing that we could have the house painted about 7 times for the cost of new siding, and maybe we'll do just windows, and keep the wood/paint siding. Aaaagghhhhhh, my head is going to explode. Ok, so to keep my brains from falling out, let's just stick with replacement windows right now, not new construction.

HomeSealed mentions Himark, Sunrise, Polaris, Softlite, & Okna. I've seen a lot of good comments about those brands (and Gorell, now owned by Softlite [see, I do remember some things I read]) here and in other research. One of the companies we've talked to so far does offer Sunrise (along with Peachtree, Marvin, Alside, Andersen, Pella and Seal-Rite). He was presenting Alside because they also make siding. But given their reviews, looks like we need to go back and look closer at Sunrise. (Should have done more research before we went there to know what to look for and the questions to ask, *sigh*)

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

-Sunrise would be a nice option, especially in casement form.
-On replacement vs new construction choices, any "replacement" window can be had with a nailing fin for new construction install. The only time things don't translate one way or the other is with some wood products that are not available in the narrow jamb depth needed for replacement installation. Virtually any vinyl window can be had either way.
-There are some nice fiberglass products to be sure, but if performance and cost are on the top of your list of priorities, it will be difficult to beat a nice vinyl option if the appearance is meets your standards.
-If you can't find any pre-finished laminate colors that match what you are looking for, then you probably want to find a stainable composite like Starmark. The Marvin Inifinity is nice as well, but sacrifices a bit in performance.
-Lastly, I wouldn't bother with box stores. Generally, anyone that cares about windows enough to have ended up here is not going to find what they are looking for at a box store. :wink:

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't add much to what HomeSealed said.

I think he nailed it.

tggr2820

#8 Post by tggr2820 »

Thank you so much for your responses. I feel like at least now I've been better educated, and have a direction to go in. It's still overwhelming how much information is out there, but I'm glad I found ya'll.

Now, time for a night off of window hunting..... had enough of sashes, panes, argon, cfm, and u-factors over the last few days!

tggr2820

#9 Post by tggr2820 »

Anyone got a second for some questions regarding Sunrise windows?

Their website has the interior as "woodgrain finish." Does that mean real wood, not simulated? I was hoping for simulated, but my dealer (off the top of his head) thought they were only real wood (he is researching, but I'm impatient). This phrase has me wondering.

If that is real wood, is the rest of the quality good enough that if I have my humidity at 30-40 percent to keep from drying out my floors that they wouldn't get condensation on the interior? Especially if I'm looking at triple pane?

Help! Please and thank you!!

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

They are laminates (i.e. not real wood).

If your dealer doesn't know that, I have some oceanfront property in Utah I need to sell him/her... :lol:

tggr2820

#11 Post by tggr2820 »

Thanks Bud.... and I'll let him know about that property!!

tggr2820

#12 Post by tggr2820 »

Well, the Sunrise windows where ordered last week. We went out and saw the little cut-away window samples they have and I can see why ya'll recommend Sunrise over Alside.

Unfortunately we had a slight oversight on the front door and that order won't go in until tomorrow (had to pick my colors tonight). I think I'm getting a great product, and it's at a very similar price point to what I think were lower end windows being offered by the "big box" store (and he never even called to check on the status for over a month! so I guess he didn't want our business anyway).

Oh, and my guy thinking that Sunrise was real wood was him trying to remember off the top of his head because I caught him away from the office and he had Sunrise confused with Peachtree which are wood interior.

Also ended up not doing siding. Darn homeowner's association rules!!

Thanks again to everyone here for the information you provided. I feel like we made a much more informed decision thanks you all of you!!!

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great.

Post up some pictures when you are all done.

tggr2820

#14 Post by tggr2820 »

hmmmmm.... how to post a picture here......

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will need to host the picture via an online resource like photobucket or snapfish and then use the hyperlink and "IMG" tags for inside the posting.