Alside Fairfield 80 windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jedddelucia

Alside Fairfield 80 windows

#1 Post by Jedddelucia »

I am replacing 7 windows and 3 patio doors in my townhome. I have single pane metal frame windows that I think are original (1972)? Absolutely no leakage or drafts around the seals. Only problem is single pane metal, otherwise they are well installed and working.

Window sizes
3 doors: 8'x6'8
3 picture windows 24x72 tempered.
1 picture window 12x72 tempered
2 sliders X/O above 24" tall tempered lower picture. 48x70 total.
1 picture 36x45/58 angled top. Requires roof and ladder access.

I am looking for vinyl replacement with white/bronze.

I have gotten several quotes. All fall into a very similar range between 8k and 13k. Two companies offered ALSIDE Fairfield 80 windows as an alternative. In both cases this was a major savings. All other bids have been simonton daylight max or milgard.

I am confident in the skills of both Alside Contractors.

Looking for honest non-biased feedback on the Alside product and it's longevity/quality. Am I asking for trouble? I can't seem to find any info on this specific line of the Alside brand.

uncle eddie

Re: Alside Fairfield 80 windows

#2 Post by uncle eddie »

My professional experience has been fairly problematic. Spotty quality control, lots of service calls, and on a product that doesn't rate that well in the first place.
A lot of people ask the same question hoping for a different answer, but you just can't get a good window cheap. Good quality to cheap = oil to water.

Jedddelucia

#3 Post by Jedddelucia »

Is that specifically for the Fairfield 80 model? I have been told that their east coast and lesser grade windows have problems but the Fairfield 80 is reliable.

uncle eddie

#4 Post by uncle eddie »

I have to admit, I am not familiar with their west coast offerings, although I don't think it would be a major stretch to assume that the quality would be similar from one area to another. I suppose maybe they have different factories that turn out varying degrees of quality.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

Typically a manufacturer isn't going to make a completely different window for the West coast, they're just going to change a few things, like which Low-E is standard, screen frame, etc.. and give it a name that is different from the same basic window sold on the East coast.

In this case, I wouldn't get too focused on the fact that it's a window that's different from the rest of the US and instead remember that the manufacturer doesn't enjoy a reputation for quality products - on either coast.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The only companies that have major differences are those that bought up a bunch of smaller outfits and use completely different products from one coast to another. Plygem does that for sure. Jeldwen is a similar situation, but I don't know if they have regional differences like that. With alside, I don't know for certain, but I believe that randy is correct that they offer the same family of products across the country.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Lets not care who the mfg is, lets look at the test results AI, DP, U, SHGC.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

anthony wrote:Lets not care who the mfg is, lets look at the test results AI, DP, U, SHGC.
Never fails when in doubt ;)

Jedddelucia

#9 Post by Jedddelucia »

Thanks. Where can I access testing data, or do you just mean the listed performances on the cut sheet? If it is not a well built product won't it just develop problems over time that the specs/stats would not account for?

What I am trying to figure out is if this window is well built or if I am would be making a bad choice with this make/model.

What is AI? DP?

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

air infiltration.
design pressure.
The prospective mfg or vendor should be able to supply third party test results.
If they do not want to, they are embarrassed about their results.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Jedddelucia wrote: If it is not a well built product won't it just develop problems over time that the specs/stats would not account for?

What I am trying to figure out is if this window is well built or if I am would be making a bad choice with this make/model.
That is why the structural ratings are so valuable, because they reflect the quality of the design and construction of the product. The design pressure rating gives a great indication of the strength of the assembly, and the air infiltration reflects the tightness and manufacturing tolerances. A window that performs better in these ratings is going to last longer, and perform at a higher level for a longer period of time than one that does not.
The consensus on that particular product is pretty clear. That said, I strongly suggest review of those ratings to alleviate any fear of bias. For reference, the top performing products are getting u-values of .25-.26 with double pane, .01cfm AI, and DP of 60 and better.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

Agree with HomeSealed
I would just add one thing.. Be sure the sill is a one piece welded sloped sill and NOT a pocket sill or snap in sloped sill. Some companies get what seems to be a decent air leakage and DP Rating but utilize a pocket sill. Pocket sills are an old/ flawed design that can cause big time issues.

Jedddelucia

#13 Post by Jedddelucia »

Can you explain "pocket sill" and "snap in slopped sill", thanks.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

A fully welded sloped sill lets no water into the frame. In a pocket sill, water is drained into the side jambs and through channels within the frame, and then finally out through weep holes to the exterior. The problem with that design is that it is nearly impossible to clean when those channels get full of debris and junk, slowing down the flow of water. In cold climates, the water cold conceivably freeze and crack the frame, leaking water into the walls. A snap in sill still utilizes a pocket system, it just directs some of the water out before the rest is channeled through the frame. The other downside to those offerings is that they make for a very bulky sill, resulting in a substantial loss in glass area.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »