Time for Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowtime

Time for Windows

#1 Post by windowtime »

I've lurked here for a long time.
I am finally ready to take the plunge for window replacement.

I have aluminum, single pane casements in NE Ohio.

I have 19 openings, the largest a 107 x 64 inch window (requiring 2 DH and a picture window). My window sizes require 33 windows to fill the 19 openings.

I have marble sills with plaster returns on the interior.

My question is this...Should the marble sills be removed (which would likely require all of my windows to be trimmed out, an additional expense). I think the marble is a conductor to the cold, but one installer said they could remain, and one installer said they should be removed.

I'm considering OKNA Starmark or OKNA 800, have a quote from Provia, but i don't read too much about Provia here. I thought about soft lite but was told as a company they aren't as responsive as they once were. I was hoping to support a local company.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

HomeSealed

Re: Time for Windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Okna choices are great, although I'm not sure if you have a dealer servicing your area?... Polaris is another solid Ohio offering. On the marble stools, I'd probably retain them if you like them. The window itself and the insulating foam around it will act as the thermal break. Just be sure that you replace the window FULL SIZE as opposed to shrinking it to set inside the drywall returns and on top of the marble. That can be a valid option in some cases, but would be technically be inferior... The jamb depth of your existing windows will play some part in your options as far as that detail is concerned.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With single pane aluminum existing units and plastered return jambs I would think your windows would be measured to sit on top of the marble and inside the plaster.
Typical DH replacement windows are 3.25" thick, which is probably thicker than the original units.
If the exterior is brick then the units could be pushed towards the exterior.
In all cases someone will be able to address your concern about conduction through the marble.
I would think about putting a piece of rigid foam( 1") against the front face of the marble and let the window sill overhang it, then finish exterior.

theWindowNerd...

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I didn't catch the aluminum part... Good recommendations from Anthony.
We will typically cut back the drywall and stool ( sill), however the fact hat it is marble adds an extra wrinkle in the equation. Setting it inside the exiting opening would definitely be the simplest route here.

windowtime

#5 Post by windowtime »

thanks for the insights.

I'm still deciding between replacing my casements with double hungs or keeping the casements

I have a a few quotes for Double hungs.
Polaris Aspen ELite for 31 DHs to be inserted into my 18 openings $14,900 (windows and install)- i can't find anything on the Polaris Aspen Elite on their website, but this board seems to rank he Polaris brand highly

Polaris Aspen Premium - $11,900...again, I can't find anything named this on the polaris website, but the price seems so low I'm not sure I want them

Okna Starmark - $17,300

Okna Envirostar - $15,500

I haven't revised my quote for Okna 700 series casements but was told the upcharge for the entire project was about $1500. So while i was shying away from paying additional for casements, the additional cost doesn't break the bank.

I'm leaning toward the Okna because of the great reviews, but I know Polaris is a local company to NE Ohio and wanted to find out a little more from this board. Does Polaris make a good casement too?

Are these replacement window costs reasonable?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

That must be some type of private label. If it is derived from the Ultraweld series, then it is very good. If the Thermal Weld, it is decent, probably "B" level. The Okna units are better than both in my experience (and as evidenced by the performance ratings), and for that number of units, that is some fantastic pricing on the 800/Envirostar. Both the DH and casement Okna's will offer more glass area comparatively.
I'll also say that the Starmark is built like a tank, and worth consideration at that upcharge as well.